Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I think this rifle may get a lot of use from this point forward. It's a 270 but the UL version with the 20 inch pencil barrel. It weighs 7lbs 10oz as it sits with the Conquest up top. Load is 130 gr Barnes TTSX at 3125fps avg, grouping just under 1 inch at 100yds. I've got rifles that will shoot tighter groups, but this one's size and weight are so handy. It's not going to be a long range rifle anyway, just a 300yd and under meat getter and all around indestructible rifle to ride around in the SxS with me. It's completely stock, not bedded or barrel free floated. That might tighten up the groups a little, but with the way prices have skyrocketed on the skeleton stocks, and this being a rarer UL model, I think I want to leave it all original.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
HR IC

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Very nice! Only thing I did to mine, in 243 Win, was to replace the factory trigger with a Timney, shrunk the group a little more. Enjoy! Very nice!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’ll work!

Semper Fi
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Always wanted one of these in 308

M
M
I feel like bringing back the boat paddle on the American line would be a good fit

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Maddmatt
I feel like bringing back the boat paddle on the American line would be a good fit

would you believe they chamber the Hawkeye hunter in .204 ruger? agree, bring back the boat paddle but on the Hawkeye line, the American already comes with a plastic stock lol, the boat paddle needs to be stainless where the Hawkeyes are, and ruger if yer listening...ditch the .204 for the 6.5 Grendel, maybe even throw some iron sights back on a few models also, the 20" 308 you have is already dang nears perfect, a boat paddle iron sight option would raise some eyebrows for sure, same with a 30-06...they've pretty much perfected the 70 with these Hawkeyes, just expand the line now, cover the alaskan guys off and the rest of the stainless synthetic guys (sheep/elk guys etc.)

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by TATELAW
I think this rifle may get a lot of use from this point forward. It's a 270 but the UL version with the 20 inch pencil barrel. It weighs 7lbs 10oz as it sits with the Conquest up top. Load is 130 gr Barnes TTSX at 3125fps avg, grouping just under 1 inch at 100yds. I've got rifles that will shoot tighter groups, but this one's size and weight are so handy. It's not going to be a long range rifle anyway, just a 300yd and under meat getter and all around indestructible rifle to ride around in the SxS with me. It's completely stock, not bedded or barrel free floated. That might tighten up the groups a little, but with the way prices have skyrocketed on the skeleton stocks, and this being a rarer UL model, I think I want to leave it all original.

very clean set up, American glass might suit better though, screaming for an accupoint 3-9 green dot duplex there, and maybe the stainless rings to boot wink

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 11/29/23.
T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
Originally Posted by TATELAW

very clean set up, American glass might suit better though, screaming for an accupoint 3-9 green dot duplex there, and maybe the stainless rings to boot wink

One of the few things that really bugs me in the rifle world is silver rings on a black scope. I know it's a petty thing, but it's just sick.

Last edited by TATELAW; 11/29/23.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jealous. I’ve always wanted a stainless UL boat paddle.

Don’t sell it without letting me know grin

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have a knack for finding those Rugers. Where did you score this one?

IC B3

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sweet set up!! I’d feel confident to go past 300.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Nice. I wouldn’t mess with it.

T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
You have a knack for finding those Rugers. Where did you score this one?
I found this one a couple of years ago in a local pawn shop I frequent. This place used to have a lot of great deals but the new owner wants to get maximum retail prices out of everything these days. He didn't realize this was a rarer UL model so he had it priced as a standard skeleton stock model.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks great. That rifle will get the job done, without much fuss..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Very cool rifle.,I would leave it stock myself.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Sorry I know this thread is a few weeks old, but I’m just curious…. Does anyone know if Ruger offered a stainless ultralight .308? Pretty certain they haven’t within the Hawkeye series, but maybe in a boat paddle? Sure seems like it’d be a handy GP configuration.

35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by andyrping
Sorry I know this thread is a few weeks old, but I’m just curious…. Does anyone know if Ruger offered a stainless ultralight .308? Pretty certain they haven’t within the Hawkeye series, but maybe in a boat paddle? Sure seems like it’d be a handy GP configuration.

They offered a 308 in both the MKII and Hawkeye.
I have a Hawkeye UL in 243.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by 35

I have a Hawkeye UL all-weather in .243 as well. I know there’s been blued/walnut .308’s, but I’ve never seen a stainless .308 ultralight.

35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 35

I have a Hawkeye UL all-weather in .243 as well. I know there’s been blued/walnut .308’s, but I’ve never seen a stainless .308 ultralight.

You are correct the 308 was only offered in blued rifles.
It`s weird they offered the 06 and not the 308 in stainless steel.

Last edited by 35; 12/06/23.
O
OGB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by 35
Originally Posted by 35

You are correct the 308 was only offered in blued rifles.
It`s weird they offered the 06 and not the 308 in stainless steel.

I think the M77 compact came in 308 but that was a 16.5" barrel and laminate stock. Still a pretty neat and useful rifle.

Back to the original topic....

TATELAW, buddy, I think you're done! Go forth and slaw things.

Last edited by OGB; 12/06/23.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

378 members (1eyedmule, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 36 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,117
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.