Print Thread
Hop To
F
fburgtx Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Didn’t know if many of you were using “over the air” TV. I’ve had problems out at the cabin, getting reception, for some time. Not that far from the transmitter (about 15 miles), but “almost” behind a hill (antenna pole gets me just above it).

Had an amplifier (Channelmaster, antenna was Channelmaster, as well), but at night, TV would start pixelating/breaking up. TV signals are supposed to actually get BETTER at night, so think the amplifier was actually amplifying too much/adding noise.

Decided to try a Televes antenna (not even a big one, just the “DiNova” model). They’re actually made in Spain.

The cool thing about them, is that the “smart” (BOSS-tech) amplifier only adds as much power (gain) as needed, rather than “over-boosting” a strong signal (most amplifiers add a certain amount of boost, whether the signal needs it or not). WAY better reception day AND night, now.

Anyway, just a suggestion, in case you’ve never heard of them, and you’re having issues like I was. A “little” expensive, but if you were to take the average China antenna, and add the $50-$80 cost of a good amplifier (which these come with), the price would be roughly the same.

https://www.televes.com/us/tv-distribution/terrestrial-antennas/intelligent-with-bosstech.html

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
No Wi-Fi?

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Our cabin in Ontario has no over the air tv.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
F
fburgtx Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by IA_fog
No Wi-Fi?

Nope. Even too far out to get Verizon 5G wi-fi. The transmitter, 15 miles away, is the small town’s “repeater” for the stations coming out of the city over 100 miles away.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No Wi-Fi?
Please enlighten me how to get OTA channels via Wi-Fi.

IC B2

F
fburgtx Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
No Wi-Fi?
Please enlighten me how to get OTA channels via Wi-Fi.

He’s probably just wondering why I don’t do Roku/Netflix/etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Likely, but if there's a way to do it I'd like to know.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
not the answer you are looking for but I recently bought a device called Tablo used on ebay for $20.

It connects to an antenna and is a guide/dvr/app that uses your wifi router to let you watch OTA channels on any streaming TV or phone.

I connected a 500gb usb hard drive to it and it records anything I schedule it to based on the OTA channels I get, then I use their app on my firestick to watch the channels.

During the summer I drop Youtube TV because there aren't any sports I want to watch and I rarely watch TV then anyways but I do want to get the local weather so I use it to record the 5pm local news every night

the downside is I assume I need internet to use it, at a minimum to install the app..

As for antenna, there is a guy on youtube to calls himself the antenna guy and you can learn more about OTA options than you'd ever want to know from him. Haven't heard of the televes antenna, but I have used channel amplifiers in the past. In the early 90s I hooked up my cable line to the line in of a amplifier and the antenna to the line out, effectively broadcasting my cable signal throughout the house. Honestly I don't remember how well it worked but one day the cable TV guy showed up to tell me I had a horrible signal leak coming from my house and he was able to pick it up from the street

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (12344mag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 1234, 163bc, 61 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,951
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.