Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I was given some .270 brass with a nny headstamp. I understand that this is Yugo ammo and has a smaller than standard flash-hole, thus breaking de capping pins.I would appreciate your input as to how to decap this brass. Thanks in advance.

Dave
Life Member NRA
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Sounds like they are Berdan primed rather than Boxer. I never reloaded Berdan primed cases. Not worth the extra effort IMO.

Google showed a few procedures.

Last edited by old_boots; 11/17/23.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lee makes a universal decapping die with undersized pin which costs $16 and should take care of the undersize flash holes if it is Boxer primed. Check to see if there are more than one flash hole or if only one it is off center, those would indicate Berdan. But it is most likely Boxer.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
No, not Berdan - just a smaller dia. flash hole than a small primer de-capping pin. If I could find a rod/something that is long enough, strong enough and small enough I could manually decap this brass and then drill to standard lg. primer size (5/64"). Ideas?

Dave
Life Member NRA
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I think you just conceived the right plan. Be sure you drill no bigger than standard as that changes flame access to powder thus pressures.

IC B2

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
nny is Prvi Partizan also stamped PPU. I have some boxes marked Made in Yugoslavia and some Made in Serbia. All are boxer primed and I haven't had any problems using regular reloading dies with that brass.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I must add, once you have the Lee die, you will find yourself using it often. At least I did.

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by FLPanhandle
I was given some .270 brass with a nny headstamp. I understand that this is Yugo ammo and has a smaller than standard flash-hole, thus breaking de capping pins. I would appreciate your input as to how to decap this brass. Thanks in advance.

Doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble...... throw them away ?? ! LOL How small are the holes? LOL I had this brass and had no problem decapping. Sounds like a bad batch of brass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I ran into them, too, in 6.5x55 range brass. I think it was in the older production . Since I had no money in them, they were tossed.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The Redding universal decapper die seems to have a smaller pin than most, from what I can tell. It is also correspondingly a somewhat fragile pin and can break decapping military crimped primers, from my experience. They sell extra pins.

IC B3

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
My bench is long overdue for this item, as I have experienced issues with .223 & 7.62x39 brass. One has been ordered and is on it's way. Thank you

Dave
Life Member NRA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Redding universal decapping die kit covers most if not all decapping problems. I use mine on everything I load for. The 17 to 20 cal decapping rod will do .060 dia flashholes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by FLPanhandle
I was given some .270 brass with a nny headstamp. I understand that this is Yugo ammo and has a smaller than standard flash-hole, thus breaking de capping pins.I would appreciate your input as to how to decap this brass. Thanks in advance.

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
I must add, once you have the Lee die, you will find yourself using it often. At least I did.

Fast shipping response at Midway and Lee Undersized Flash Hole Universal Decapping Die is in-hand - Problem solved.
Thanks to all who offered suggestions

Dave
Life Member NRA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
kind of ignition will you get with undersized flash holes ? would be my question

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Final Edition:
After de-capping, using the Lee tool, I drilled the primer flash holes with a 5/64" drill bit. I reloaded 5 of the, now modified, nny brass and compared them to an equivalent loaded R & P brass and the results were almost identical. At 84 y.o. I'm still learning!! Thanks to all....

Dave
Life Member NRA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Excellent!

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've used a few brands of brass in 6.5x55 mm and the only ones that had undersized flash holes were Igman, aka Hotshot, cases. I decapped them with an undersized decapping pin and drilled the flash holes to standard size and they've been good since drilling them. I have yet to encounter undersize flash holes in nny/ppu brass; in my limited experience in 6.5x55 it's excellent brass. Before you toss them just check them with a small flashlight - better than guessing.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (1lessdog, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 12344mag, 219DW, 007FJ, 15 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,871
Posts18,478,705
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.