Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by WhiteFawn
If the link works here is the 830 pound Lincoln, MT grizzly road killed a few years ago. https://crownofthecontinent.net/ent...ana/ea4d811b-408f-480c-9f2b-a12a644efca4

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Around 20 years ago a boar grizzly was snared and tranquilized by biologists along the Rocky Mountain Front, west of Great Falls. The portable scale the biologists had only went up to 800 pounds, and the bear bottomed it out--and that was in the spring, when he was not long out of his winter den. He would have weighed considerably more in the fall, possibly 1000+.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I thought it was pretty routine for Grizzly Bears to get this big. Really tells how much I know about the species.
There was an 880 lb. Black bear shot in North Carolina in 1998. This Grizz is a pipsqueak in comparison.

That Black Bear fed on Soybeans, Corn besides whatever it scrounges in the woods.

Actually that particular bear was feeding on dead hogs from the local hog farm. They would dump the dead hogs in a bin and he would raid it at night. He was eating a hog every couple of days. He was right at 6 foot from nose to tail. I was told he had 12 inches of fat on his back. Killed by a shotgun slug and it was a cousin of Dolly Partons that killed him.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
If the link works here is the 830 pound Lincoln, MT grizzly road killed a few years ago. https://crownofthecontinent.net/ent...ana/ea4d811b-408f-480c-9f2b-a12a644efca4

Around 20 years ago a boar grizzly was snared and tranquilized by biologists along the Rocky Mountain Front, west of Great Falls. The portable scale the biologists had only went up to 800 pounds, and the bear bottomed it out--and that was in the spring, when he was not long out of his winter den. He would have weighed considerably more in the fall, possibly 1000+.

No Grizzly on the lower 48 has ever weighed 1,000 lbs.

EVER.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nobody has a greater obsession with these things than I do.

[url=https://postimg.cc/p5Z1sTwd][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Is this what you're referring to?

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Salmonella

WOW

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by DaddyRat
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I thought it was pretty routine for Grizzly Bears to get this big. Really tells how much I know about the species.
There was an 880 lb. Black bear shot in North Carolina in 1998. This Grizz is a pipsqueak in comparison.

That Black Bear fed on Soybeans, Corn besides whatever it scrounges in the woods.

Actually that particular bear was feeding on dead hogs from the local hog farm. They would dump the dead hogs in a bin and he would raid it at night. He was eating a hog every couple of days. He was right at 6 foot from nose to tail. I was told he had 12 inches of fat on his back. Killed by a shotgun slug and it was a cousin of Dolly Partons that killed him.

That makes sense and 12" of fat Holy Cow . The point I was trying to make is there is a lot of food for Black Bears to feed on in Eastern NC.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yep. Lots of food, man made and natural plus thick pocosin swamps to hide in. They also really don’t hibernate at all. Just eat and grow big. 700lbs is not unusual down there.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V

Man, those SOB’s are big.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

EVER.

Would like to know how you're so absolutely certain?

The reason I ask is that the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks has kept records of the heaviest game animals that have been officially weighed (and witnessed), and the heaviest "whole" grizzly in the state (not field-dressed, skinned, etc.) on a certified scale weighed 1102 pounds. And the record for many years went 1018.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Salmonella - Your mounts are truly impressive, and I congratulate you on them, but it looks like you may owe John an apology.
I personally like knowing there have been 1000 pound griz in the lower 48.

Just sayin'
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 11/27/23.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Salmonella - Your mounts are truly impressive, and I congratulate you on them, but it looks like you may owe John and apology.

Just sayin'
Rex
He makes stupid statements regularly. An apology? LOL

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Salmonella - Your mounts are truly impressive, and I congratulate you on them, but it looks like you may owe John and apology.

Just sayin'
Rex
He makes stupid statements regularly. An apology? LOL

God, you're an as shole...
Do you even do anything but post stupid remarks on the internet?

Proud NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

EVER.

The reason I ask is that the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks has kept records of the heaviest game animals that have been officially weighed (and witnessed), and the heaviest "whole" grizzly in the state (not field-dressed, skinned, etc.) on a certified scale weighed 1102 pounds. And the record for many years went 1018.

"Madel, who has been managing bears on the Front for 24 years, wonders if the bear he trapped this spring was sired by the largest male grizzly ever recorded in the Northern Rockies: an 8-foot, 800-plus pound bruin trapped in 2003 in the Blackleaf Wildlife Management Area northwest of Choteau."

Mule Deer,
This quote is from the article that Whitetail in MT linked above. I don't know who is right or wrong and I'm too lazy to do any more digging on this subject. It would be interesting to find out for sure how big the largest grizz is/was around here.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JayJunem

EVER.

"Madel, who has been managing bears on the Front for 24 years, wonders if the bear he trapped this spring was sired by the largest male grizzly ever recorded in the Northern Rockies: an 8-foot, 800-plus pound bruin trapped in 2003 in the Blackleaf Wildlife Management Area northwest of Choteau."

Mule Deer,
This quote is from the article that Whitetail in MT linked above. I don't know who is right or wrong and I'm too lazy to do any more digging on this subject. It would be interesting to find out for sure how big the largest grizz is/was around here.
According to this site, it's 1102 pounds.

https://fwp.mt.gov/hunt/biggamerecords

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by JayJunem

EVER.

Mule Deer,
According to this site, it's 1102 pounds.

https://fwp.mt.gov/hunt/biggamerecords
There are likely several factors leading to conflicting numbers. "Biggest" could be referring to only weights of captured bears, or it could truly be the heaviest ever documented by any means. Then there's the time element as well as a reporter's ability to discern it all and accurately present what it is they're reporting.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
dassa,

I was going to post that "you could look it up"--and include the link, but you beat me to it!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle

EVER.

Sorry Harry. F&G caught one out of Choteau four years ago that weighed out at 1105

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thanks dassa. Sure wish they gave more details and documentation than just a number in the whole Grizzly column. I'm skeptical by nature so it's hard for me to believe. Especially in the age of the internet where fantastic tales are frequently disproven as b.s. Not saying the MT FWP is lying, just that my guard is up after seeing too many doctored photos and false news stories from the interwebs.

1100 lbs. isn't out of the realm of possibility though, so I guess it could be true.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Is that Billy Molls?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

450 members (12savage, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 48 invisible), 2,202 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,125
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.