-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I actually emailed Ruger today, and asked them to make 30mm offset rings. Told them I'd buy several pairs. Ya'll feel free to follow suit smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote=tex_n_cal]I actually emailed Ruger today, and asked them to make 30mm offset rings. Told them I'd buy several pairs. Ya'll feel free to follow suit :

^^ this is a great ideal ^^ i would buy a few pairs too !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Anybody shooting their Ruger model #1's lately? A friend of mine sent me some old Noslers to try. He only had 25 pills in this old box, so I shot them up:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I should have used better/newer powder, but this discontinued AA3100 was cheap:

Just messing around, but I think it proves this rifle is not one that has any issues. If you are not out shooting, don't make any excuses. Grab a rifle and head out to the range. Don't want to be getting rusty..

From the other day with some 120gr SGK's I found:

And then the 120gr Hornady H.P Interlock that is a discontinued bullet I didn't think I'd find more of:

I'm glad I found more of those things!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i bet the groups would get even better if you glass bed 3 inches of the back of the forearm and then open up the rest of the channel some so the barrel is floated ,seal that part of the wood channel you floated with Tru-oil or something . it can make a difference with better groups ,use the jel type glass bedding. your Ruger #1 is a great shooter , i have always had good luck myself with my handloads with groups / accuracy with my #1`s when i glass bed the back of the forearm and float the rest of the barrel. if you look real close at the wood barrel channel many rifles are not cut the well and barrel leans towards one side more thats why they need to be inspected in all brands new and used. i purchsed a Tikka with a laminated wood stock that barrel was touching one side right out of the new box. i glass bedded this Tikka rifle and floated the barrel right away and the rifle does shoot well .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had 3 #1's and a #3. With work they all shot sub MOA. Out of the box, not so good. The fix was found in modification of the forend hanger and a touch of bedding.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kk alaska
I have a Ruger No. 1A in 7x57 long throat Red pad that shoots most loads under 1.5" bullets seated short of throat shoot well also, neat rifle.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A rifle that purdy gets a pass at 2 MOA.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
👍

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
👍
Thanks buddy.

I basically have a 1 moa (for 5 shots) rifle. Rather than disturb what's left of its originality, I'm leaving it as is. I appreciate everyone's input on how to bed them and stuff. I could see doing that, if it was shooting 2+" groups. However, with that being said, if someone wants to post pics of how their bedding jobs look and how it's done, I'd love to see them. Pete53, that means you buddy. Thanks guys!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BSA,

I fitted a synthetic stock set to a #1 and had to bed all contact surfaces. For the forearm, that entails prepping. I used modeling clay, then had a gunsmith point out that plumber's putty does the same thing, but removal is much easier. The main point of fitting is the front of the hanger. I used Apoxie Sculpt as it is easy to work with, and will not run.

This is the prep I did since I was doing the entire bedding operation.

After the hanger area was bedded, I used the Apoxie Sculpt at the junction of the receiver front - rear of forearm. One layer of tape ensures a slight gap to prevent binding.

I used Marine Tex to finish the bedding job. The forearm makes contact with the hanger, but the barrel and front of receiver is free floated,

As a side note, the forearm needed some work before I could even start to fit it. I had to build up some fiberglass on the left side, then hog out material on the inside to where I had a nice fit to the receiver. You can see on the left, the dark area is the original material, and the lighter, is the material I added.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by scoony
BSA,

I fitted a synthetic stock set to a #1 and had to bed all contact surfaces. For the forearm, that entails prepping. I used modeling clay, then had a gunsmith point out that plumber's putty does the same thing, but removal is much easier. The main point of fitting is the front of the hanger. I used Apoxie Sculpt as it is easy to work with, and will not run.

This is the prep I did since I was doing the entire bedding operation.

After the hanger area was bedded, I used the Apoxie Sculpt at the junction of the receiver front - rear of forearm. One layer of tape ensures a slight gap to prevent binding.

I used Marine Tex to finish the bedding job. The forearm makes contact with the hanger, but the barrel and front of receiver is free floated,

As a side note, the forearm needed some work before I could even start to fit it. I had to build up some fiberglass on the left side, then hog out material on the inside to where I had a nice fit to the receiver. You can see on the left, the dark area is the original material, and the lighter, is the material I added.

Nice work scoony. I appreciate that!! I can see doing that with a plastic stock, but I don't think I want to mess with my wood stock set. Now, if it shot 3" groups, hell yes I'd probably be trying something. Never been afraid to mess with epoxy, as long as a good release agent is used. Thanks for the pics

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA,
Nice find on that No.1. I've had a yearning for a No.1 in 25-06 for a while just haven't scratched that itch yet.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i put in some bids on a gun auction was lucky i got the bid on a used custom 6 Br ss with real nice wood Ruger #1 once i glass bed part of the forearm i will see how well this new to me rifle shoots ?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pete53
i put in some bids on a gun auction was lucky i got the bid on a used custom 6 Br ss with real nice wood Ruger #1 once i glass bed part of the forearm i will see how well this new to me rifle shoots ?

Keep us posted pete. Thanks!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
BSA,
Nice find on that No.1. I've had a yearning for a No.1 in 25-06 for a while just haven't scratched that itch yet.

Thanks buddy. I kind of lucked into this one. Glad it fell into my lap though. It's been a fun rifle to mess around with. I was a little worried at first, before I shot it. The reason I started the thread: Have heard some stories about the ones that don't shoot well. I'm pretty happy this one is not like the one in Oregon. That poor guy was ready to pull his hair out over that rifle.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I always like posts like this. I asked pretty much the same question after I had bought two #1's on sale at Cabelas. Read it here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...er-1-accuraccy-expectations#Post12054042

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by meddybemps
I always like posts like this. I asked pretty much the same question after I had bought two #1's on sale at Cabelas. Read it here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...er-1-accuraccy-expectations#Post12054042

Thanks for posting the link. Pretty interesting read there.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My #1, a 7x57 from the late 70’s. It isn’t bedded, it’s always shot very well. But I believe the load I’m using now is a good one.
I think it is load that BSA posted for his 7-08 with Hunter powder. My rifle likes it and is very consistent with it.
It is my only #1 but of a sample of one it is a very good one.

Last edited by SS336; 11/28/23.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
not sure if i posted this but one of the Ruger #1`s i got off the auction was a 6BR s.s. ,trigger was change , has a HIcks forearm screw system and completely glass bedded forearm , varmint s.s. match grade target barrel slow twist , so it shoots 70 gr. bullets in a hole. i did change scope put a big target Nightforce scope on this rifle . i need to shoot it much more yet had a deer season interruption. but this Ruger #1 6 BR shoots under 3/8 groups at 100 yds. 5 shot groups i expect this rifle too shoot 2`s and 3`s this winter this 6 BR #1 is impressive to shoot . i always wanted one these 6 BR rifles ! Pete53 " paid $1300.00 total "

Last edited by pete53; 11/28/23.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SS336
My #1, a 7x57 from the late 70’s. It isn’t bedded, it’s always shot very well. But I believe the load I’m using now is a good one.
I think it is load that BSA posted for his 7-08 with Hunter powder. My rifle likes it and is very consistent with it.
It is my only #1 but of a sample of one it is a very good one.

For some reason I'm not seeing the pictures. Would love to see it though. A good shooting ruger #1 7x57 would be damn cool. I'm glad I saw this thread yesterday after meddybemp bumped it to the first page again. I was out and about looking at some gunshops and ran across one a week ago for $749 and another yesterday for $850. The one yesterday was a nice looking red pad 30-06. The stock was nicely figured, but I think the LOP was shortened. The original recoil pad base was ground on, making me think it was altered. It had irons, a schnabel forend tip like my rifle has and a skinny barrel. Appeared to be about 22" long. I was thinking yesterday that it may not shoot well, configured as such, but I may be wrong???

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My late hunting partner nigh obsessed over a Ruger #1 for about 5 years going the whole nine yards - swapping barrels, re-chamberings, bedding, free floating, a new trigger and a couple more professional adjustments before he realized his dream of a genuine "one-holer" rifle, in the end chambered in 22 PPC.

The target with which he was most pleased were three successive 3 shot groups of 25, 50, and 100 thou. groups at 100 yards at the Twin City Rifle Club. When viewed by the reserved "Alfie" Janzer, formerly of Northland Firearms in Waterloo he stated, "Hey - that's pretty good."

I'll need to bother his daughter for the load data and targets.

That was the most accurate Ruger #1 I ever shot.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, Alan_C, Alex38, 16 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,891
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.