Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Been a long time, wife no longer comfortable with me out alone, hunting or keeping, great story and nice buck

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to hunt with my brother, but he’s been gone nearly 20 years. My sons are coming up on middle age(!) and live in another state, so yeah, I hunt alone. I too gave up climbing trees this year, and found a nice tripod seat that’s 21” tall, so easy to get on and off. My wife worries too, so I bought a Zoleo tracker and send her Okay messages now and then, and can also send texts if necessary. This season, I dressed the deer I shot and went home to fetch her, and she helped me drag all three out on jet sleds. I can do it myself, but two are definitely better than one and she’s only 57, unlike her creaky old man who’ll soon be 72. I prefer to bring them out intact so the carcasses can go through the rigor and aging process. Had a very successful and enjoyable season this year, and am considering letting the deer hunting go and concentrate on small game, turkeys, and predators. I shot two yesterday. We dragged one last night and the other this morning, 3/4 of a mile, and I’m beat, so it might just be my old tired azz that’s thinking about quitting.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Used to hunt with my brother, but he’s been gone nearly 20 years. My sons are coming up on middle age(!) and live in another state, so yeah, I hunt alone. I too gave up climbing trees this year, and found a nice tripod seat that’s 21” tall, so easy to get on and off. My wife worries too, so I bought a Zoleo tracker and send her Okay messages now and then, and can also send texts if necessary. This season, I dressed the deer I shot and went home to fetch her, and she helped me drag all three out on jet sleds. I can do it myself, but two are definitely better than one and she’s only 57, unlike her creaky old man who’ll soon be 72. I prefer to bring them out intact so the carcasses can go through the rigor and aging process. Had a very successful and enjoyable season this year, and am considering letting the deer hunting go and concentrate on small game, turkeys, and predators. I shot two yesterday. We dragged one last night and the other this morning, 3/4 of a mile, and I’m beat, so it might just be my old tired azz that’s thinking about quitting.

I'm about 5 years behind you Pappy 348. You're a lucky man. My wife likes deer when they're either running around doing deer things and being pretty, or nicely wrapped and frozen. She's okay with them in the kitchen being cooked or on the table being served up as well. But watch me shoot one, or have anything to do with the carcass? No, that's just not her thing. I'm okay with all that. She's a city girl through and through and stayed with me through four overseas deployments and two careers. What a woman! But not a hunter, not in the least.

I must admit to seeking out less adventurous hunts recently, that don't involve climbing danged mountains and such. But I'm still up for a hunt that gets me out walking. I know it will end someday. And that's okay, it will be time.

Pheasants with the dog are my real pleasure. I suspect I'll be able to do that for some time to come.

All the best, Guy 

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well done….

I hunt solo a lot …..but not alone….

I got Dink, Scooter the mules, and a new Draft x Walking horse named Jed plus a foxtrotter named Cheif. It’s the wife’s new horse.

They much prefer archery season….as I usually come up empty.

I also have had my new heeler (Twiglet) find two deer for me after the shot.

A few buddies I know swear by them wheel barrow deals made for carcass retrieval.

Last edited by Angus1895; 11/27/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by beefan
I hunt alone but not because I like it. I'm 78 and would like to have someone along, and my wife is very uneasy even though I stopped climbing 3 or 4 years ago. Being too poor to afford the the high lease tabs, I mostly hunt on small parcels owned by relatives or friends and the informal agreement will usually end with the owner's words, ".....but don't bring anyone with you". So I hunt alone; I have my pickup outfitted with a small portable 12 volt winch, a short ramp and several feet of chains and towing straps. I have friends with similar circumstances. I wish things were different.

Beautiful buck, great picture and nice write up.
I'm 75. 1 of my partners had to hang it up several years ago and the other is 78 and showing signs of age. I might be on my own again in another year, assuming that my health holds up. There are no leases here, though. It's all public land hunting for mulies and elk.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm 62 and the vast majority of my hunting has been solo. A couple years ago, my Grandsons started going with me and I see a lot more of that in my future (a good thing).

A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
I am 75. I have hunted alone most of my life. Now I tell my wife general area I will go to. I have packed many deer and elk by myself. I learned when I was young what a good packframe was. I enjoy hunting by myself but now days I don’t do much elk hunting. But still enjoy deer hunting but stay closer to the roads. I will hunt deer as long as I can get out.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I hunt by myself the majority of the time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m 74 and hunt alone. It’s my preference. I hunt either on my property or my neighbors. Wife knows exactly where I am, and she’s helped me drag deer to where I can get to them with the 4 wheeler.

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I hunt alone 90% of the time... but I can usually drive to within a stones throw to load a deer or hog. You don't have to be a superhero to do what I do.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

HA, I think I say I am quitting elk hunting every year after packing a few out of the hills. About the time I am driving home I have a whole nother trip planned.

You seem to be doing pretty well fetching deer and mostly have time on your side. Once they are down, it's all on your schedule for the most part! Hope you hang with it!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Pat85
I hunt alone. Haven’t killed a buck in awhile, so I forgot what a pain in the a$$ dragging him out and getting him in the truck by myself was. lol.

I've been guilty of taking a smaller animal when there's a long hike out laugh...I like hunting with others but with my weird work schedule I'm almost always solo.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Great story and pic. Congrats on a job well done. I used to always hunt alone. Mostly WT Deer. Now I'm 66 years old. I still hunt alone but not as often. My new joy is hunting with my Grandkids, 8 and 10 years old. They have several deer and pigs to their credit.

I have two more coming up behind them that will start shooting a 22 this year. I can't wait to hunt with them. There is nothing better than seeing a youngsters face when they shoot their first Deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cascade

I'm about 5 years behind you Pappy 348. You're a lucky man. My wife likes deer when they're either running around doing deer things and being pretty, or nicely wrapped and frozen. She's okay with them in the kitchen being cooked or on the table being served up as well. But watch me shoot one, or have anything to do with the carcass? No, that's just not her thing. I'm okay with all that. She's a city girl through and through and stayed with me through four overseas deployments and two careers. What a woman! But not a hunter, not in the least.

I must admit to seeking out less adventurous hunts recently, that don't involve climbing danged mountains and such. But I'm still up for a hunt that gets me out walking. I know it will end someday. And that's okay, it will be time.

Pheasants with the dog are my real pleasure. I suspect I'll be able to do that for some time to come.

All the best, Guy 

The wife is a sweet Chinese gal I met online after we both unexpectedly became single about 11 years ago. She knew nothing about hunting or guns, and had never fished. I taught her to fish and now she’s a red hot Powerbait dipper. We grow, catch, and kill a major part of our groceries.

She posts pics of our harvests; finny, furry, and agricultural on WeChat to the amazement (and envy) of her family and friends in the PRC. They can’t do any of that of course. They worry about the stories they hear about crime and anti-Asian violence here, but she tells them, “That’s okay, we live in a safe place and have guns!”

I enjoy your videos on UR. Seems you’ve found a new calling late in life😜

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Most of my hunting has been alone, my preference

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
HA, I think I say I am quitting elk hunting every year after packing a few out of the hills. About the time I am driving home I have a whole nother trip planned.

You seem to be doing pretty well fetching deer and mostly have time on your side. Once they are down, it's all on your schedule for the most part! Hope you hang with it!

Time will tell. No “meat pressure” for a while for sure. I aged and butchered the first one, but the last two are at the processor. I need some down time.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have hunted alone more than with a company. Turning 80 this past summer. Solo, I killed a cow elk in September and mule deer in late October. I fear it is about to end in the not too distant future though.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have hunted alone more than with a company. Turning 80 this past summer. Solo, I killed a cow elk in September and mule deer in late October. I fear it is about to end in the not too distant future though.

I’d say you’re doing damn well!

We ran into a couple of younger hunters yesterday and got to talking. When I told them my age, one of them got kinda wide-eyed and asked how I’d made my living that allowed me to still be active. He must know a lot of broken down old guys! Pretty funny.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm 68 and still hunt solo.

My kids have all earned their Hunter Ed certificates and each of them has shot at least one deer, but none of them are particularly interested in any outdoor sports. I had hoped that one of them would end up being my hunting buddy, but that hasn't happened. Two of them have hunted with classmates while at college and seemed to enjoy the social aspect of it, but hunting with Dad isn't very social.

I prefer to hunt fox squirrels these days, as the season is longer, the bag limit is greater, and they are easier to carry out of the woods. I still shoot a few deer each year, but no longer feel any need to punch my buck tags unless the buck carries a rack worthy of making a trip to the taxidermist.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Congratulations cascade on the nice buck. Since the late '90's just about all my hunting has been solo. I love to still hunt the way my Dad taught me but, do occasionally sit for a spell to rest my bones. Have to leave my heavier rifles at home and grab the lighter ones, even though 30 years ago they didn't seem heavy. Gave up climbing trees when I passed the 3/4 century mark and have become very selective in which deer to take. There are a couple I've caught on camera that I'd drop the hammer on but, I'm more inclined to drop the hammer on the coyotes I've pictures of. Anyway, it's all good to be in the woods!

Last edited by Joe; 11/28/23.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (1minute, 204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 40 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,428
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.