Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
JakeM78 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I had a box of Hornaday Superformance 257 Roberts that wouldn't fully extract from my Ruger MKII. Once the case gets to the magazine it drops from the bolt face and just lays in the magazine.

I removed the bolt and it would hold any of the Hornady 257 Roberts ammo. Remington and Winchester worked fine.

I then tried the ammo with 2 other Ruger bolts (250 and 270, MKII and Hawkeye), neither of those bolts would hold the Hornady ammo, but held the Remington and Winchester just fine.

After a few weeks of emails and phone calls with Hornady, they sent a new box. Some issue. I contacted them again, and they said SORRY, our ammo is within spec.

Therefore, I can only assume that 3 rifles are out of spec and Remington and Winchester ammo is also out of spec.

HR IC

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A friend of mine had a Hawkeye in 270 that took two trips back to Ruger before the extractor would reliably hang onto a piece of brass. Hornady brass was not the culprit.

Dimensional specs have tolerances. Get an extractor hook on the loose side and brass on the small/thin side and voila.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They lost me after Steve Hornady's Covid "vax" mandate to his employess, and that joke of a "melting tip" bullet farce.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
JakeM78 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by mathman
A friend of mine had a Hawkeye in 270 that took two trips back to Ruger before the extractor would reliably hang onto a piece of brass. Hornady brass was not the culprit.

Dimensional specs have tolerances. Get an extractor hook on the loose side and brass on the small/thin side and voila.

So you think it's a problem across 3 rifles made 20 years apart? For reference, the Hornady 250 Savage brass I have works fine in all three.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JakeM78
I had a box of Hornaday Superformance 257 Roberts that wouldn't fully extract from my Ruger MKII. Once the case gets to the magazine it drops from the bolt face and just lays in the magazine.

I removed the bolt and it would hold any of the Hornady 257 Roberts ammo. Remington and Winchester worked fine.

I then tried the ammo with 2 other Ruger bolts (250 and 270, MKII and Hawkeye), neither of those bolts would hold the Hornady ammo, but held the Remington and Winchester just fine.

After a few weeks of emails and phone calls with Hornady, they sent a new box. Some issue. I contacted them again, and they said SORRY, our ammo is within spec.

Therefore, I can only assume that 3 rifles are out of spec and Remington and Winchester ammo is also out of spec.

Is this brass nickel plated?

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Have you actually put a caliper to the brass to see if it’s in spec?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

So you think it's a problem across 3 rifles made 20 years apart? For reference, the Hornady 250 Savage brass I have works fine in all three.

That does point a finger at the brass. Have you taken any measurements like rim diameter and thickness to compare the brands?

Go to the 90th page of the pdf for a dimensioned drawing of the 257 Roberts.

https://saami.org/wp-content/upload...CFR-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

Last edited by mathman; 11/28/23. Reason: added text
J
JakeM78 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Is this brass nickel plated?

No

J
JakeM78 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

That does point a finger at the brass. Have you taken any measurements like rim diameter and thickness to compare the brands?

Rim diameter is the same, give or take .001 going either way across varies brands. Thickness is the same, again allowing for a very small variance.

The 2 differences I have found:

1) The extractor groove width (in front of rim, but before case body) is .390 + .001 on the Hornady 257 Roberts. It's .400-401 on the Remington/Winchester and is .396 on the Hornady 250 Savage. As I stated, the Hornady 250 Savage works, but it doesn't fit as tight as the Remington/Winchester, but the bolt hold it.

2). The extractor groove looks taller on the Hornady 257 Roberts compared to Remington and Winchester, and you can also see the body starts a little more forward on the Hornady.

Remington 257 Roberts left, Hornady 257 Roberts right.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeezus Fhuqk...SIMPLY tune the extractor blade and go fhuqking shoot. It will take 5 fhuqking seconds. Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

J
JakeM78 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Jeezus Fhuqk...SIMPLY tune the extractor blade and go fhuqking shoot. It will take 5 fhuqking seconds. Hint..............

I can and did make it work with the Hornady ammo today, but then you run some rounds of the other brand and your back to the Hornady not working again, HINT

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I was thinking the same. Bend/tweak/etc that extractor and test it. Pretty easy to pull it off.

I just did a brand new out of the box Montana in 308. Couple tries and it's back like its supposed to. Seen the same with most all the CRF guns at one point or another.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I can and did make it work with the Hornady ammo today, but then you run some rounds of the other brand and your back to the Hornady not working again, HINT

Add more tension to it. I like mine so they hold the case firm on the bolt face.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Prezactly. Rest fhuqking ASSURED,that extractor blade geometry,does NOT hang on .001". Hint.

Nothing is fhuqking funnier,than a CLUELESS Fhuqk doing her best. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bought a .30/06 Ruger 77R some years ago, and during assembly, some yahoo had installed an extractor for belted magnum cases in it. Sometimes, it would hold and extract a fired case, sometimes not. I sent the bolt back to Ruger (they were pissed that I wouldn't send the whole rifle), but they did replace the extractor with the appropriate sized extractor.

I knew what the issue was, I had a .270 and a .243 in Ruger 77Rs, and I could compare the extractors, the one with the '06 was visibly shorter, and was barely catching the cases. I wanted it fixed before it cost me a deer.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The AMAZINGLY long list of simplistic schit,you DUMB Fhuqkers can't do,NEVER fhuqking ceases to amaze. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
They lost me after Steve Hornady's Covid "vax" mandate to his employess,

Indeed! I don't plan to ever buy another Hornady product.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Professional Victims are a hoot! Hint.

Like you Sniveling CLUELESS Fhuqks “shoot” anything. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Joe

Yeah, and if Steve does not mandate the vax, then his plant would have gotten shut down, and you would b!tch about that.

I, for one, think Hornady makes quality products, they shoot well in my rifles, and clobber the game they hit. I will use that as a basis for my consideration, not whether or not I agree with them politically.

Last edited by HCDH66; 11/29/23.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Joe

So, Hypothetically if most or all of the manufacturers did that (Powder, primer, bullets, firearms etc.) you would give up guns all together?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Voting with your dollars is legitimate. All the suppliers didn't mandate a vaccine or it they did we are unaware of it. If most did and it violates your beliefs a decision on the lesser of 2 evils would have to be made. Sort of like we do on voting most elections.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Voting with your dollars is legitimate. All the suppliers didn't mandate a vaccine or it they did we are unaware of it. If most did and it violates your beliefs a decision on the lesser of 2 evils would have to be made. Sort of like we do on voting most elections.
Voting with your dollars is all fine and dandy, but what does a vaccine have to do with bullet/cartridge performance? I respect your right to do that, but I base my ammunition and projectile selections on performance instead of politics.

But, hey, difference is what makes the world go 'round.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Melting Fhuqking Snowflakes will ALWAYS find something to Whine about. Hint.

None of The Crying Kchunts actually fhuqking shoot,but the Hissy Fits are funnier than fhuqk! Hint………..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

All of them with DoD contracts had the same mandate. The mandate wasn’t from Hornady, it was from the Federal government. All companies without a policy were ineligible from being a DoD supplier. Hornady did backtrack and it was never enforced by the Feds.

But guess what? Federal, Remington, Winchester, Speer, and all the rest had the same policy it just so happens a leaked memo never made it public. None of those companies were giving up doing business with Uncle Sugar. Fortunately it was struck down.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by Joe

So, Hypothetically if most or all of the manufacturers did that (Powder, primer, bullets, firearms etc.) you would give up guns all together?

No, I have enough supplies to last the rest of my shooting life. I even have a supply of Hornady bullets but, I will never buy another. I don't support those who take away freedom, I fought too hard for it.

"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fair enough.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I hear all this moral high ground and wonder how many know P&G also tried to force the jab on employees. So are you going to check your laundry room, toilet paper, coffee, and multipule other items you probably use every day or is it just Hornady?

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
On the topic of Hornady, I had a young lady at the ranch for a hunt a few weeks ago and after her deer was taken we went for Prairie dog fun.
I had picked up a case of Hornady superperformance .223 53gr v-max to try out so we broke into them.
Out of the first two boxes there were 3 that did not fire. Primers hit deep and solid. For what I paid that’s a bit crazy. We finished from there on with reloads.
There are plenty of other options and manufacturers I won’t buy Hornady again.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pavementends
I hear all this moral high ground and wonder how many know P&G also tried to force the jab on employees. So are you going to check your laundry room, toilet paper, coffee, and multipule other items you probably use every day or is it just Hornady?

Or receive health care, or drive a car, or.....the list is endless. People only virtue signal about Hornady because they think it'll stick.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hornady has been hit and miss for me. Their 460 ammo had around a 60% firing rate in my smith Wesson xvr. I called them and they blamed it on s&w. My reloads have had no firing failures.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have had good success with their precision hunter ammo tho.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought CRF was uber reliable. Try it in some push feed guns? grin whistle wink

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've shot Hornady factory loads in a variety of rifles that are chambered for a variety of cartridges and haven't had any issues.

I do wish that Hornady would make 17HM2 ammo that was as accurate as the long discontinued Eley, but they don't actual make that ammo, CCI does.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs

Add more tension to it. I like mine so they hold the case firm on the bolt face.

Is there a link or video that explains the fix you guys are referring to? Im not having issues with my hawkeye, but in comparison to my M70 extreme sporter, the grip of the claw extractor seems a bit weaker. Wondering if i can adjust it myself.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I guess snot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=260Remguy]I've shot Hornady factory loads in a variety of rifles that are chambered for a variety of cartridges and haven't had any issues.

That’s been my experience as well. Their Whitetail load is usually the first thing I nab to run in a new rifle.
The stuff worked so well in my 6.5CM that I ran it a couple of seasons before working up a load.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SCgman1
I guess snot

Look for a video on removing the extractor from the bolt body. Then I use a padded vice and clamp the extractor in some soft jaws or something that wont mar up the finish and gently push the extractor in order to put a slight bow into it. I mean slight. A little goes a long way.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by SCgman1
I guess snot

Look for a video on removing the extractor from the bolt body. Then I use a padded vice and clamp the extractor in some soft jaws or something that wont mar up the finish and gently push the extractor in order to put a slight bow into it. I mean slight. A little goes a long way.

Thx, will try that.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I don’t forego Hornady because of jab politics, I just think their stuff is crap.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hornady brass, bullets, ammo & all their products have always been lower quality, last resort stuff when the good stuff from other manufacturers wasn't available

Just because the sissy, recoil sensitive manbun crowd, swallowed the Hornady choad of creed hype and it became popular, doesn't mean Hornady crap got better

Cheap junk always sells more, Hornady is basically McDonalds in cheeseburgers

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Igloo
I thought CRF was uber reliable. Try it in some push feed guns? grin whistle wink

Good ones have the potential to be uber reliable. It’s the execution that’s lacking, especially in these days when companies rely on their victims……er customers, to do QC for them. I think one reason that detachable magazines have become so popular on hunting rifles is that they eliminate some of the work required to get them to feed reliably. I’ve never had a functional issue with any of my CRFs, but all of them are digesting the cartridges they were built for. Mighta been lucky with my Rugers, or they were made before their QC reached its current state, quien sabe?

Good PFs work well too, of course. The battlefield conditions that CRFs were designed to handle aren’t encountered much by hunters these days.

It behooves shooters to put their outfits though some serious function testing before taking them afield, if they want to avoid surprises anyway.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have almost never fired a factory load in my rifles. That being said, I have seen several misfires with Hornady factory ammo. That is totally dependent upon who supplies their primers. I REALLY like Hornady Interlocks and have killed a truckload of deer with them. I am not as much of a fan of the ELDX, but the ELDM are very accurate and work well on deer. I have also been adequately pleased with their brass.

I am sure that there are complaints about any ammo at some point, but Hornady needs to step it up a bit on their ammo.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I do not buy factory ammo so I cannot comment on it. But I have had success with Hornady interlocks and sst's. I can't complain.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was formerly a fan, no more. Hunted in KS this year as host (no license for me), step son sat with me, had a shot at a young buck (he's never killed a buck), offered him my 308, pulls trigger, cartridge does not fire. Deer gone, too late to eject and shoot again. Primer had indent, did not fire. Rifle is a Defiance Tenacity, has never misfired before or after, ammo was Hornady 165 grain interlock, basic stuff. Son used same rifle and ammo to kill his deer next day. Hornady blamed rifle, not cartridge and did not request ammo to check.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by Joe

No, they're just virtue signalling

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM
I don’t forego Hornady because of jab politics, I just think their stuff is crap.

Fair enough

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
In my best Louis Farrakhan voice. Do all the Hornady haters realize that the cartridges labled PRC are supporting the Peoples Republic of China?

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pavementends
In my best Louis Farrakhan voice. Do all the Hornady haters realize that the cartridges labled PRC are supporting the Peoples Republic of China?
I just thought the users were PRCks

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Osky
On the topic of Hornady, I had a young lady at the ranch for a hunt a few weeks ago and after her deer was taken we went for Prairie dog fun.
I had picked up a case of Hornady superperformance .223 53gr v-max to try out so we broke into them.
Out of the first two boxes there were 3 that did not fire. Primers hit deep and solid. For what I paid that’s a bit crazy. We finished from there on with reloads.
There are plenty of other options and manufacturers I won’t buy Hornady again.

Osky

Since this posting I ran another series of rounds from the same Hornady boxes. More misfires. Looking a lot closer the strikes on the primers were there, but not as deep as I’d thought.
Closer look again and it dawned on me the primers were seated much deeper on the misfires. I do not know enough about the commercial processes as to whether the primers were actually forced too deep, or the pocket for the primer was made too large and deep.
That’s my conclusion on the troubled Hornady Superperformance rounds listed above. I’m back with Federal Premium ammo.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
According to the gunsmith at my local gunstore, this was also a problem about 20 years ago with .444 Marlin LeverRevolution ammo. The primer pockets were cut too deep and he was seeing a ton of rifles brought in for misfires, all with that same ammo. Remington ammo in the same rifles didn't misfire. This was a period when LA/MS first started to allow .38cal and larger single shots during Primitive Weapons season, so .444 sales were really blowing up and ammo demand was high.

Now with even more aplomb
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I was formerly a fan, no more. Hunted in KS this year as host (no license for me), step son sat with me, had a shot at a young buck (he's never killed a buck), offered him my 308, pulls trigger, cartridge does not fire. Deer gone, too late to eject and shoot again. Primer had indent, did not fire. Rifle is a Defiance Tenacity, has never misfired before or after, ammo was Hornady 165 grain interlock, basic stuff. Son used same rifle and ammo to kill his deer next day. Hornady blamed rifle, not cartridge and did not request ammo to check.

I have almost a box full of Hornady 30'06 given to me when working as a Range Safety Officer by an irritated shooter whose rifle wouldn't fire. Every one has a dimple from the firing pin strike.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,033
Posts18,500,622
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.