Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Looking for a set of rings that will get a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 as low as possible on a Tikka. I’d like to avoid using a rail if I can.

Warne has some, as do Talley and DNZ.

What have your experiences been?

Thanks,

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mounted multiples of that scope model directly to the integral Tikka rails using Sportsmatch T084 rings. Spacing is about perfect as is the height.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Talley LW in extra low would be perfect.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ll greedily take rugged reliability over Frilly Fluff. Hint.

I’ve had (9) LW’s puke. Ring spacing is a scope’s best friend and a 1913 interface has no equal. Hint.

Just sayin’…………..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you don't throw your rifle into rivers/onto gravel on purpose, Talley LW's work great on hunting rifles.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fortunately for you,living vicariously is free,so even you can afford to “contribute”. Hint.

With 100’s of rifles to reflect upon and the fact that I actually shoot, makes it a breeze for me to extrapolate. Hint.

Keep the Hurt Feeler Reports coming. Hint……..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Mounted multiples of that scope model directly to the integral Tikka rails using Sportsmatch T084 rings. Spacing is about perfect as is the height.

It would be cool to have pics of this set up. I'm trying to get my buddy to get a set of T084's for the 300WSM I sold to him to try with his new Zeiss V4 4-16x44. Should be a very similar fit as the OP's NF. The op is wanting to get the scope as low as possible. What would the clearance between the barrel and the objective look like?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've not used enough rings on Tikkas to say which is the lowest. I can say the following (in 30mm low) is low enough for me to use with a 42mm objective scope with the factory stock...and almost to low for me to use with Stocky's VG stock. Very well made rings, mount directly to the Tikka rail, lots of scope tube contact area, comes with pins for both smooth and threaded holes for spacing, multiple slots on the bottom of the rings for pin spacing, and you avoid adding any extra height with a pic rail. Pins aren't required but are nice to have.

Biggest downside...it's a flat mount so if you're using a scope with limited elevation adjustment and dialing it can shorten dialing for distance.

https://www.unknownmunitions.com/product/um-tikka-rings/

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Starbuck

It would be cool to have pics of this set up. I'm trying to get my buddy to get a set of T084's for the 300WSM I sold to him to try with his new Zeiss V4 4-16x44. Should be a very similar fit as the OP's NF. The op is wanting to get the scope as low as possible. What would the clearance between the barrel and the objective look like?

Tikka with SS 3x9

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by beretzs; 11/29/23.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for the quality of the picture but I think you can see the clearance well enough between scope and barrel. This is a NF Compact in Sportsmatch rings which is a good combo IMHO.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 11/29/23.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I could give less than zero fhuqks about a 1/16” of scope height,when I can gain sooooo much in ring spacing and inclination. Everything on the erector below Zero,is 100% USELESS. Hint…………

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've not used enough rings on Tikkas to say which is the lowest. I can say the following (in 30mm low) is low enough for me to use with a 42mm objective scope with the factory stock...and almost to low for me to use with Stocky's VG stock. Very well made rings, mount directly to the Tikka rail, lots of scope tube contact area, comes with pins for both smooth and threaded holes for spacing, multiple slots on the bottom of the rings for pin spacing, and you avoid adding any extra height with a pic rail. Pins aren't required but are nice to have.

Biggest downside...it's a flat mount so if you're using a scope with limited elevation adjustment and dialing it can shorten dialing for distance.

This ^^^

I picked up a set for my CTR and they are light but also have bigger screws which allow for more clamping force to the rail. They also have threaded recoil pins than can be used in an assortment of placements. I like em alot. I have medium height with my Trijicon credo 4-16x50, but it's mainly due to the CTR barrel contour.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here is NF 3-10 on a Tikka with Sportsmatch TO84s.
For this particular scope, the ring spacing is about as far to the periphery of the tube as they can be.

[Linked Image]

The SM rings have endured a lot of shooting and knocking around for me without an issue; however, as has been pointed out in this thread, there are more robust options for scope mounting to a Tikka. Further, there are cases wherein adding inclination is required.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SDupontJr
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

This ^^^

I picked up a set for my CTR and they are light but also have bigger screws which allow for more clamping force to the rail. They also have threaded recoil pins than can be used in an assortment of placements. I like em alot. I have medium height with my Trijicon credo 4-16x50, but it's mainly due to the CTR barrel contour.

I recently used a set of UM rings on a Tikka with a 44 mm, 3-12 LRHS. Was very impressed with the quality
and ring spacing was about perfect. I will be using them in the future anytime going to the integral rail is going to suit the application.

Overall, I've gravitated more and more to 1913's on Tikkas. With the solid top there's not really a downside. Easily adds inclination, allows for perfect scope postion and ring spacing, makes it easier to try new scopes and it's a very robust mounting system for larger size and weight scopes.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The sportsmatch to84 is about perfect for that setup.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I’m the lone guy out on sportsmatch rings

The grip they have on the rail sucks. The dovetail is shallow and not angled well compared to a 1913 rail. And ur limited on mounting option towards the rear with short scopes.

Two different sets on two scopes that hold zero wouldn’t survive drops and hold zero.

Whereas switching to picatinny rail and 6 screw rings it holds zero perfect.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a “hunch” you are not alone. Mechanics matter MUCH more than Mascara. Hint……….(grin)

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
I’m the lone guy out on sportsmatch rings

The grip they have on the rail sucks. The dovetail is shallow and not angled well compared to a 1913 rail. And ur limited on mounting option towards the rear with short scopes.

Two different sets on two scopes that hold zero wouldn’t survive drops and hold zero.

Whereas switching to picatinny rail and 6 screw rings it holds zero perfect.

Were you using a recoil lug and/ or bumping the SM rings up to a mount screw, etc to prevent movement? I've not experienced any poi shifts or ring sliding, even after some pretty significant falls, drops, rough transport, etc with the Sportmatch rings. Not saying that a 1913 rail isn't a rock solid set up on a Tikka, and not trying to talk anyone into the SM rings, just passing along that the SM's direct the integral rail have proven to be pretty tough IME.

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have Talley’s and DNZ on my tikkas.

My tikka 06 has well over 1000 of hot hand loads through it and no problems.
My only Talley that failed was on a sauer 9.3 and they sent me new ones the same day I called. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them on non magnums. I ended up going with dnz on the 9.3 as they are built really well, and no need for lapping.
My buddies tikkas 06, and 7RM with dnz have been flawless.

Just don’t be throwing your stuff on the rocks to see if you can brake something

Last edited by Dre; 11/29/23.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
“Hot rounds” that don’t “brake”,is fhuqking HILARIOUS! Hint.

The Paper Hat Brigade never disappoints,by simply doing their best. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 25classic, 59 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,296
Posts18,487,032
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.