Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by duke61
"Really the best case scenario is to wear both "over ear" and "in ear" when shooting anything big."
I have been wearing double ear protection for years due to my fear of losing hearing, when I was growing up and until early twenties didn't care much but now I do, I also use Caldwell shoulder strap pad when shooting to protect the shoulder.

Could you speak up a little loader, I didn't get what you said.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
"Really the best case scenario is to wear both "over ear" and "in ear" when shooting anything big."
I have been wearing double ear protection for years due to my fear of losing hearing, when I was growing up and until early twenties didn't care much but now I do, I also use Caldwell shoulder strap pad when shooting to protect the shoulder.

Ha!

You say something?

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2

Ha!

You say something?

DF

Did I hear a soand somewhere?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
The first Shiloh Sharps model 74 I ever bought was a 34" std octagon barrel long range express chambered for 50-140 3 1/4" inch. The load at the time was 140 grs fg and a 560 gr paper patch bullet running over 1500 fps in a 10 lb 3 oz rifle. Recoil.was rough plugs and muffs and a Buffalo Arms prone model recoil shield were and are an immense relief. Roll with the recoil 1/2 doz. shots are enough anymore for me. Aren't alot of them left most have been rebarreled to smaller cartridges. Shooting should be fun not beating yourself up. I allways take my Xtra strength Tylenol up front about a half hr or so before shooting it...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by barm
I would be interested to see if anyone experiences recoil headaches when shooting handguns.
Apparently you dont read through replies.
In my only reply, I said it happens with 44magnum.
But it also happens with full house 357mag, and 45 colt.
I have sold all my big bore handguns as I cannot shoot them

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by LeeC
Originally Posted by barm
I would be interested to see if anyone experiences recoil headaches when shooting handguns.
Apparently you dont read through replies.
In my only reply, I said it happens with 44magnum.
But it also happens with full house 357mag, and 45 colt.
I have sold all my big bore handguns as I cannot shoot them
I never had a problem with headaches shooting my handguns. Shot a lot of .357 mag and .44 Mag for a while but nary a headache.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the interesting things about Eileen's recoil headaches is she doesn't get them when firing her T/C Contender .357 Maximum, which recoils quite a bit--but isn't as noisy as a revolver due to lack of the cylinder gap.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Textbook of Small Arms, 1929 [Great Britain War Office], gives a recoil velocity of 15 ft/s for 6-7 pound shotguns as having been "long established as a maximum above which gun-headache is sure to ensue."

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

PS Also ran across an interesting recoil calculator website with a Barsness' index.

http://kwk.us/recoil.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's interesting! I made a chart this week of different load / rifle combinations that I've shot (that I can remember), and the combos that keep the recoil velocity below 15.5 don't seem to give me headaches.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Buddy said my 180gr jhp .44 mag load ( Layne Simpson WW 296 load ) was the most annoying thing he ever shot.
Seemed worse when launched outta my 8 3/8 629-3.

Definitely swats the ol sinuses LOL
Indoors it knocks ya silly.

Last edited by hookeye; 11/29/23.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
JUst watch a slow-motion of someone shooting......I always get headaches

RAVENS & WOLVES
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Sandlapper
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Could it be something of a misnomer? The fumes from expended nitro compounds can cause vicious headaches...in extreme cases, a debilitating headache similar to migraine. High percentage dynamite is brutal in underground mining and tunneling. Not everyone suffers from it, and eventually the new miner builds a resistance to it. I worked for an underground mining outfit in Idaho briefly, the miners would shoot their shot just at quitting time, let the face ventilate overnight before going back the next day to muck out. New miners were advised to smear a little dynamite on their hardhat headband to get over 'powder headache'. I think it was nothing more than a cruel joke.

Gough Thomas wrote that the nitrites and nitrates in the fumes of nitro powder are vasodilators that can cause gun headaches, "especially in individuals not habituated to them."

I think you mean nitrogen oxides (and dioxide) - these are gaseous and termed NOXs. Nitrates and nitrites are not gaseous.

NOXs can inflame and damage the respiratory system over time - I don't believe they cause headaches or are present in signifcant quantities in burnt powder. I'm aware of lead causing more issues in poorly ventilated indoor ranges rather than NOXs.

Someone in Oz read Gough Thomas' book, too. grin

https://www.claytarget.com.au/joomlatools-files/docman-files/CTSN/1990/1990_V43_12_Dec.pdf

Thanks for the snippets and links.

The aussie article simply references the original article so is not additional evidence or finding - he's just perpetuating the idea.

There's nothing else to support the production of nitrates and nitrites from burning nitrocellulose. The original article is a leap of faith connection made by someone without any expertise in the matter ie making something up.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Could it be something of a misnomer? The fumes from expended nitro compounds can cause vicious headaches...in extreme cases, a debilitating headache similar to migraine. High percentage dynamite is brutal in underground mining and tunneling. Not everyone suffers from it, and eventually the new miner builds a resistance to it. I worked for an underground mining outfit in Idaho briefly, the miners would shoot their shot just at quitting time, let the face ventilate overnight before going back the next day to muck out. New miners were advised to smear a little dynamite on their hardhat headband to get over 'powder headache'. I think it was nothing more than a cruel joke.

Gough Thomas wrote that the nitrites and nitrates in the fumes of nitro powder are vasodilators that can cause gun headaches, "especially in individuals not habituated to them."

I think you mean nitrogen oxides (and dioxide) - these are gaseous and termed NOXs. Nitrates and nitrites are not gaseous.

NOXs can inflame and damage the respiratory system over time - I don't believe they cause headaches or are present in signifcant quantities in burnt powder. I'm aware of lead causing more issues in poorly ventilated indoor ranges rather than NOXs.

https://www.claytarget.com.au/joomlatools-files/docman-files/CTSN/1990/1990_V43_12_Dec.pdf

The aussie article simply references the original article so is not additional evidence or finding - he's just perpetuating the idea.

There's nothing else to support the production of nitrates and nitrites from burning nitrocellulose. The original article is a leap of faith connection made by someone without any expertise in the matter ie making something up.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/gunpowder

Gunshot Residue

GSR consists of unburned or partially burned gunpowder particles, soot, nitrate, and nitrites from the combustion of the powder, particles of primer (oxides of lead, antimony, and barium), and particles of the bullet or the bullet jacket that are vaporized when a firearm is discharged (Rowe, 2000). They are projected from the barrel in a conical cloud; and they are also expelled from the various openings of the weapon such as the chamber, the ejection port, and the slide action.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An old remedy appears to have been holding a rubber band between the teeth. . . .

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/gunpowder

Gunshot Residue

GSR consists of unburned or partially burned gunpowder particles, soot, nitrate, and nitrites from the combustion of the powder, particles of primer (oxides of lead, antimony, and barium), and particles of the bullet or the bullet jacket that are vaporized when a firearm is discharged (Rowe, 2000). They are projected from the barrel in a conical cloud; and they are also expelled from the various openings of the weapon such as the chamber, the ejection port, and the slide action.

Interesting. Looks like the nitrites come about from incomplete combustion.

Semms that CO can cause headaches, but I doubt there'd be enough generated by small arms ammunition:

"Toxic effects of gunshot fumes from different ammunitions for small arms on lung cells exposed at the air liquid interface"

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0887233321000205

(Headaches are mentioned in section 1)

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting topic. I've known trap shooters that get recoil headaches. I've never had a recoil headache to my knowledge but kept my magnum phase limited to about a 10 year period. My main hunting rifles now generate 25 ft/lbs or less of recoil, mainly because they all weigh 7lbs or less. If it were me I'd be done with recoil headaches and anything that caused them. Your body is trying to tell you something......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by steveredd1
Have a Remimgton 700 DBM srainless in 300wby with a factory break, shoot 5 shoots and your have a headache, only gun I have that does this to me
Could it be the stock?

That dang rifle blows my hat off each time I fire it, gets alot if gas in the face. Been meaning to put another muzzle break on it but haven't fired it in over 20 some years so out of sight out of mind

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I shot my 300 Weatherby a few times yesterday to set a new scope I mounted on it. I wore ear muffs but it still gave me a slight headache. It always does.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I shot my 300 Weatherby a few times yesterday to set a new scope I mounted on it. I wore ear muffs but it still gave me a slight headache. It always does.

Remington factory installed muzzle breaks sucks

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,285
Posts18,486,876
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.