Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
At one point in my life I had a Rifles Inc. custom rifle which I loved right up until the bolt handle broke off the bolt (Remington). Gun never recovered and I parted it out, sold what I didn't want and kept the rest. Decided that my experience with Remington was less than acceptable although I did put the scope and Jewell trigger in a second hand Rem. Model 78 I found in a LGS. Sold it to my nephew who has shot quite a few animals with it and loves it. I bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. When all was said and done it shoots as well or better than the custom rifle, at least in my hands. MOA is not a problem with factory ammunition, it particularly likes Federal Fusion 140 gr. I would recommend the Ruger.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
my vote would ruger

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
$100 for the used rifle and 2-7 redfield scope.

After a chop to 20", open sights, aluminum bolt shroud, 2 used steel AI mags, retro-fit of boyds AI bottom metal: $677 all up.

I shoot nothing but 200 grain bullets out of this little 308 win. I shoot this American more than any of my other rifles.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You put still shooting the Speer Hot Core? If so, how have they performed on game? Thanks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Which is the better cheap rifle and why?

I held both today, is this somewhat accurate?

Reliability - Ruger (Savage known to have weak extract/ejection)
Accuracy - Equally good reviews
Stock - Savage (adjustable, looks better), Ruger (weaker forends?)
Trigger - Savage Accutrigger
Safety - Savage 3 position vs Ruger 2 position
Price - Savage ($369 after rebate), Ruger ($499-$519)
Finish/Rust resistance - ??
Customer Service - ??

Share your experience and thoughts…

The Apex appears to be built on the 110 series actions, not the Axis action, which is a good thing.

I have several Savage rifles with the 110 series actions and they are okay.

I have several Ruger American Predators and they are okay too.

In general, I prefer the Ruger to the Savage. Either will probably do the job equally well, so I'd say pick the one that feels and fits you the best. The one thing that I don't care for on the Ruger is the comb height, but a Beartooth comb raiser kit is a cheap and easy solution. I would not recommend pouring much money into either platform. I'd also look at Howa 1500s or Weatherby Vanguards, as they sell for the same prices that you've cited for the Ruger American.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
260rem,

The comb height on the murcan stock is a good balance of acquiring open sights and scope in low rings. Don't need to smash my fkn cheek into the stock to find the darn sights, like some of these higher comb stocks.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
260rem,

The comb height on the murcan stock is a good balance of acquiring open sights and scope in low rings. Don't need to smash my fkn cheek into the stock to find the darn sights, like some of these higher comb stocks.

Having iron sights is smart idea

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
260rem,

Different people, different places, different preferences.

For me, open sights on a hunting rifle are purely cosmetic. Some rifles don't look complete without them, like bolt actions with Mannlicher-style stocks and most lever, pump, and semi-autos, but for me they are just an unnecessary protrusion waiting to catch on something.

I prefer a stock with a comb height that will facilitate the alignment of my eye with the scope when my cheek touches the stock, so for me, a Beartooth comb raiser kit is something I've installed on all my RAR-Ps with factory stocks.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I shoot savages exclusively for hunting. Can’t beat the accuracy for the money. I like the American also.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
260rem,

Nice rifle rest smile

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have 2 Rugers predators 6 CM, and a 6.5 CM both shoot very well with hand loads. Trigger issue was fixed easily by trimming spring. Finish is definitely on the cheap as well the stock.
I had to send the 6 CM in for warranty, it had a short throat as factory 108 eldm was jamming lands.They replaced the entire barrel. No complaints on accuracy, it's pretty much half moa.
I have one Savage used mainly for switching barrels. 243, 308, 7-08 which served its purpose. I rarely use it anymore but great trigger and awesome accuracy.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’d take the Apex as it’s a 110. Sportsman’s had them recently for $449 and with a mail in refund it took it down to $369. I haven’t seen a Ruger Americans that cheap in a while.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have both rifles, different, but one is as good as the other in my opinion.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,513
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.