Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stocky's carbon fiber 2nds for a SA Howa 1500 and like it"
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I bought one of the Stocky's carbon fiber 2nds for a SA Howa 1500 and like it. I've had H-S stocks and never really cared for them, but everyone is different and a style that works well for me might be a sub-optimal choice for you.
I checked on this stock for my Weatherby Vanguard Sub Moa 30-06, are these stocks drop in or do they require fitting?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by duke61
Stocky's carbon fiber 2nds for a SA Howa 1500 and like it"
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I bought one of the Stocky's carbon fiber 2nds for a SA Howa 1500 and like it. I've had H-S stocks and never really cared for them, but everyone is different and a style that works well for me might be a sub-optimal choice for you.
I checked on this stock for my Weatherby Vanguard Sub Moa 30-06, are these stocks drop in or do they require fitting?

It needs to be bedded and it had a superficial crack that I fixed with JB Weld. I would buy another one if I needed it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
‘260
What do you consider superficial? Very interested in on of these.
GreggH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve had two B&C stocks that had the bedding block crooked that would cause the barrel to kick off and touch in one side. I’m also not a big fan of the cheek piece on many of the B&C stocks.

Quality of the H-S has been better in my experience, but I prefer the slimmer fore-end and slimmer grip of the B&C.

I’m currently in the market for a stock for a rifle I just bought and am trying to decide whether or not to save up longer and get a McMillan or settle for a B&C and hope it isn’t as bad as the last one I purchased. The McMillan is double the price, and I have two needing stocks.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drop_point
I’ve had two B&C stocks that had the bedding block crooked that would cause the barrel to kick off and touch in one side.

Not an uncommon issue on the B&C's. The 2949 model that they supplied to Remington for the LVSF 700's are notorious for the bedding block being everything but straight. Having removed the cheek pieces on several LVSF's, they are in fact skinned over the foam core, unlike the HS's. Both can be made up into pretty good stocks if there's a model that fits your project.

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One I sent back and the other I removed material and bedded it up square.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by drop_point
I’ve had two B&C stocks that had the bedding block crooked that would cause the barrel to kick off and touch in one side.

Not an uncommon issue on the B&C's. The 2949 model that they supplied to Remington for the LVSF 700's are notorious for the bedding block being everything but straight. Having removed the cheek pieces on several LVSF's, they are in fact skinned over the foam core, unlike the HS's. Both can be made up into pretty good stocks if there's a model that fits your project.
I stocked a rifle for a good bud. We ordered a B&C Medalist classic stock. When it arrived, it was so messed up, it had to be sent back.

The barrel channel was off center too bad to use. They did replace it, but makes one wonder about their quality control, inspection process prior to shipping. That one fell thru the cracks; makes one wonder how wide are those QC cracks.

I wasn’t impressed, haven’t ordered any more. They’re cheaper than McM, but you do get what you pay for. To me premium stocks are worth the premium.

DF

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My Howa 1500 started as trying to get a better barreled action economy buy so I'm going to try a Vanguard synthetic stock from Gun Parts Inc. The one I'm getting is a used take off mfg by Bell & Carlson for $125. I've had good luck with everything I've bought from them in the past and if I don't like it they have what looks like a reasonable return policy. Thanks again to all for the info.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’m a fan of the B&C stocks. I think they fall into the Best Buy category. All the guns I have that use them shoot well and I feel there service has always been great. Are there better stocks, you bet….are there better stocks for the money….not in my opinion. No matter what price or brand they need to be carefully bedded and torqued etc. I have AG composites, Manners etc and all need work. But I must say the B & C are great values!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I’ve not used B&C, but I have used HS and have them on two of my rifles. I like the way they feel and the palm swell just fits me on the vertical grip stock. Customer service is top notch for me as well.

Last edited by TakeEm; 11/30/23.

Isaiah 6:8

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B&C all the way for me. I love 'em

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not an answer to your question……but my question!

I’ve often though about going to the Hogue stock for my wife’s rifle. I thought that it would be much more quiet when in brush/timber than a typical synthetic stock……though a bit heavier. So why do you want to replace your Houge? Thanks, memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
Not an answer to your question……but my question!

I’ve often though about going to the Hogue stock for my wife’s rifle. I thought that it would be much more quiet when in brush/timber than a typical synthetic stock……though a bit heavier. So why do you want to replace your Houge? Thanks, memtb

Not the OP, but I will try to answer your question. The problem with the Hogue overmolded (rubberized model) is it is very bulky feeling and heavy. The one with the full bedding block is excessively heavy, at around 3 pounds (48 oz's). The ones that are only pillar bedded weigh about 2.5 pounds, but the forends tend to be flimsy. Both stocks will require a glass bedding to help with optimum accuracy/precision. They are quieter in the brush, and are not bad when shooting off the bench, but not my choice of a good hunting rifle stock. However, they are nice if you are going to just beat it up. They can take a lot of abuse.

I don't know how your wife's rifle is set up right now, but she may not like carrying her rifle if you weigh it down more. The only real plus is the weight of the Hogue will help to minimize the recoil on her 338wm.

I always think to myself that she probably wouldn't know what to do with herself if you bought her a nice lightweight Tikka chambered in 7mm-08 and stuffed it with 140gr TTSX and easily killed everything she kills now with her 338wm. Although, she would probably want to practice and shoot more if it was a 7mm-08.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks BSA. That tells me all I need to know about the Hogue. I thought, now confirmed, that it was heavy! Plus, she’s happy with the present plastic mattel stock, and doesn’t want to spend the cash. It was just me wanting to upgrade and get some quiet. A stick dragging across that stock makes me cringe…..and I’m half deaf.

Sh loves to hunt with “her” rifle, and admittedly shoots it very little…..but, we have other light to virtually no recoil rifles to use in practice/play. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
It’s funny how opinions on the ergonomics of the two stocks can be complete opposites. I have both but I think I like the HS a little better. Others have mentioned that the wrist of both manufacturer’s stocks are too thick or “blocky” and I would say that the wrist of the B&C feels a bit fat to me

Overall, I’ve been pleased with both stocks. They’ve both done what they’re supposed to do and have provided stable platforms for accuracy and repeatability.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
HS Precision is more precisely made. The Bell and Carlson stock bedding block needs bedded generally.

The last B and C stock had the bedding block so tilted that you couldn’t start the action screws without the screws touching the side of the bedding block. Easy fix but if you don’t like obstacles you are better off going with HS. The few that I have worked with have been fairly square.

I will continue to buy B and C stocks, however. Good value and you end up with a great stock, if you don’t mind the bit of extra work.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Agree with BSA on Hogue. It’s flimsy compared to my HS stocks. My Howa .223 came with it…and I plan to eventually replace with an HS. Gun shoots very well as is, I just prefer the “feel” and rigidity of the HS.

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Had both, much prefer the B&C stock...better ergos IMHO

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Winchester BACO out of South Carolina that I bought in 2012 in a 243 uses the B & C with the aluminum bedding block....have no problems with it. Rifle has practical no recoil and very accurate right out of the box.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (007FJ, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,518
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.