Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
JFK'S Secretary of State, Dean Rusk, was in France in the early 60's when DeGaulle decided to pull out of NATO. DeGaulle said he wanted all US military out of France as soon as possible. Rusk responded, "Does that include those who are buried here?"
DeGaulle did not respond. You could have heard a pin drop.
When in England, at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of 'empire building' by George Bush.
He answered by saying, "Over the years, the United States has sent many of Its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for In return is enough to bury those that did not
return."
You could have heard a pin drop.
There was a conference in France where a number of international engineers were taking part, including French and American. During a break, One of the French engineers came back into the room saying, "Have you heard the latest dumb stunt Bush has done? He has sent an aircraft carrier to Indonesia to help the tsunami victims. What does he intend to do, bomb them?" A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly: "Our carriers have three hospitals on board that can treat several hundred people; they are nuclear powered and can supply emergency electrical power to
shore facilities; they have three cafeterias with the capacity to feed 3,000 people three meals a day, they can produce several thousand gallons of fresh water from sea water each day, and they carry half a dozen helicopters for use in transporting victims and injured to and from their flight deck. We have eleven such ships. How many does France have?"
You Could have heard a pin drop.
A U.S. Navy admiral was attending a naval conference that included admirals from the U.S., English, Canadian, Australian and French
navies at a cocktail reception. He found himself standing with a large group of officers that included personnel from most of those countries. Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks when a
French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn only English. He then asked, "Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than
speaking French?" Without hesitating, the American admiral replied, "Maybe it's because the Brit's, Canadians, Aussie's and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German."
You could have heard a pin drop.
AND THIS STORY FITS RIGHT IN WITH THE ABOVE...
Robert Whiting, an elderly gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris by plane. At French customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry on. "You have been to France before, monsieur?" the customs officer asked
sarcastically. Mr. Whiting admitted that he had been to France previously. "Then you should know enough to have your passport ready." The American said, "The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it." "Impossible. Americans always have to show their passports on arrival in France !" The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he quietly explained, ''Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day in 1944 to help liberate this country, I couldn't find a single Frenchmen to show a passport to."
You could have heard a pin drop!

Last edited by Bugger; 11/30/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome.

Molon Labe
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Great post, thanks.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Correct response each time.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
OUTSTANDING!!!

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The FRENCH have been accused of lots of things, but being BRAVE is not one of those !!

"not too grumpy"
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Just read it again- love it!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
First thing in my mind was on the last one....

the soldier who came ashore on D Day in June 1944....

Sitting here in front of my computer, first thing in my head was still to stand up and give that Veteran a salute of respect.

But all of those stories, the average person in this country under age 30 to 40, wouldn't even understand what Bugger is talking about.

Yeah, the French forget real quick.... they were like that when I was there in 1964 and 1965 with the family on vacation, as a military dependent. My dad was stationed in England from 1963 to 1966.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
DeGaulle was a piece of work.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/01/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
How do I forward this? Harry Truman called DE Gaul the most ungrateful man in the world.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great post. Thanks.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Bugger, I salute you - one of the best posts ever.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
How do I forward this? Harry Truman called DE Gaul the most ungrateful man in the world.

De Gaulle was a self centered idiot of the first order. I forget the name of the Island off the coast of Canada, that was French territory. During WW2, it was guarded by the US and Canadian Navies, to keep German U Boats from docking there, and trying to take over. To save face, DeGaulle lead a group of French soldiers to invade it to occupy it, in 1940 or 41.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 2ndwind, 30 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,889
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.