Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Last time i bought a set of tires online they were significantly cheaper than local, prices varied etc.
I tried to buy some this morning and they were all the same price to the penny, including local tire store. And outrageous to boot.
Is there anywhere left that sells them at a discounted price for folks who mount their own?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Cooters tire and embroidery in Clarksvegas Tennessee will ship you 4 take off space savers for reasonable.

I will have to look for an address....they phone quit working when the power company removed their service drop.

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The last 2 sets that I bought came off of local area Craigslist that were brand new take offs from guys putting bigger tires on their trucks.

Local tire guy mounted and balanced them for me for $60 and I gave him my take offs for him to sell as used tires.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My son just bought a set of light truck snow tires from Simple Tire, he comparison shopped a lot of sellers. Discount? who knows, tire prices are just nuts.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of the big outlets (Tires Plus, Discount Tires, ets, etc) will price match anything you can find on line.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Just bought a set of 4 from Sams club.
They can pretty much order whatever you need.
Beat the local tire shop by $500.
In and out the door in under an hour.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used to buy tires from Sam's and WM, but quit them once I bought my first set from Discount Tire. Discount Tire might not be the cheapest, but for me they are better than any other tire dealer who I have purchased from, large or small.

WM really annoyed me when 2 from a set of 4 Goodyear Forteras had belts separate within the first 20,000 miles and WM wouldn't honor their warranty that I had purchased when I purchased the tires. In contrast, when I picked up a piece of rebar through the sidewall on a Michelin with 50K on it, Discount Tire replaced tire for the cost of mounting/balancing the new tire.

For me, paying a little more for exponentially better service is worth it for peace of mind that it provides.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Never bought any 'yet' myself but the very, very cheapest quality name brand tires I've found so far via internet was termed as "New old stock" meaning they were just that -- brand new but dated as manufactured several ago (also often out of production models -- in this case Pirelli 4 season). Pretty big discount -- As I recall - ballpark around 1/3 +/- new price ...still had original factory paper stick-on labels, *BUT* -- AS IS -- no warranty of any kind --- you get what you got...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I bought a set of tires from Discount Tire 3 years ago. I'm happy with them. Like said above if you spend some time you may save a few dollars somewhere else. But not much and you can't match their service.

I used to buy from a small independent shop. Last time I was in there pricing tires he explained to me that he used to be able to buy Cooper and a few other brands directly from the factory and could sell them at discounted prices. He told me that Cooper had changed their policy and would only sell to distributers, and he had to order from the same distributors as everyone else. Same price everywhere.

I wasn't ready to buy that day, just getting prices. Went back 2 months later to buy and the guy had retired and sold his inventory to a Mexican Tire Shop down the street. That is when I went to Discount Tire.

You can go to their website and order any tire you want, pay online and set up an appointment time to come in and have them mounted. They only keep a few in stock at each store. Most tires will be there next day, but in some cases may take a week.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Yankee neighbor of mine bought some online he claims they won’t round enough or some bull schit

IC B3

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
This is the truth: “outrageous to boot”!! I just bought a set through discount, tire, during their Thanksgiving sale, and it still cost me 300 bucks more than a very similar set I bought four years ago. I did a lot of shopping around, too. This is my first time ever with discount tire. We’ll see how it goes. It’s a grab your ankles situation folks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I looked on Craigs list for tires and bought a set of take offs for 300 bucks. They would have cost 1200 new. And then they mounted them at work for me for free. And they only had about 3000 miles on them. The guy put a lift on his truck and went with huge mudders. Some reall good deals out there if you look for them.

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Are the manufacturers still blaming the pandemic or is it the post-pandemic inflation that's to blame? We just bought an off-brand set of new tires for my wife's Honda Odyssey. They were still $600.

I bought a set of Firestone/Bridgestone Revo 3s in July of 2022. They have worn terribly and I suspect I'll have to replace them next summer. I'm already preparing for how much more the replacements will cost then. Should I expect them to be 15% more?

Medics bury their mistakes..
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve used discount tire direct, simple tire and amazon for my last three tire purchases. All fresh tires and easy to find a local shop to install them

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Been pricing tires for months. All of the big name, discount places. A bud has a tire changer so all I'd be out above the shipped tire cost would be for balancing.

Decided I'd put it off long enough, just for grins I priced what I wanted at the local shop. Hell, about 5 bucks more per tire OTD, balanced & all. Not able to beat the system this time.

But dammit! Stock size tire, better grade, with a front end alignment,,,, $1029. shocked

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
https://www.prioritytire.com/ free shipping via FedEx and beat the local tire shops by $200 on a set of full size pickup tires.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Last time i bought a set of tires online they were significantly cheaper than local, prices varied etc.
I tried to buy some this morning and they were all the same price to the penny, including local tire store. And outrageous to boot.
Is there anywhere left that sells them at a discounted price for folks who mount their own?

McNair Tire at the "Lawton-Duncan Y" on US Hwy 81 just north of Duncan, Oklahoma.

To see the place, you wouldn't stop on a bet!
The ONLY tire shop I've ever been to where they put the lugnuts back on by "hand". No matter if is a 4 lug VW "Bug" or a multi-lug semi!
Once the new tire is mounted BACK on the vehicle, the attending tech grabs a torque wrench, sets it for the vehicle lugnut spec then a different tech checks that all lugnuts are T-I-G-H-T!

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Tirerack.com

Takeoffs from offerup or CL

But it's hard to beat Discount tire, and they also have takeoffs sometimes. Call em up.

Or Costco.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mossy
I’ve used discount tire direct, simple tire and amazon for my last three tire purchases. All fresh tires and easy to find a local shop to install them
So where do you go to warranty them? Pay the labor and shipping to sent them back?
No thanks, I can pull into any Discount, Walmart whatever if I have a problem 1000 miles from home.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Lol!
I just bought two motorcycle tires. $433 shipped!!! Still have to get them mounted and balanced. Welcome to Bidenomics.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,258
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.