Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
LHS905 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hi all.

I'm relatively new to the 'Fire, but I see a lot of good things here. Mostly folks that enjoy the outdoors.

This thread is to highlight an attack that is coming in Colorado. The following link is to an Outdoor Life article that references a fight in Oregon, I'll leave that to the folks from Oregon. This one is a ban on hunting and trapping of mountain lions, bobcats, and lynx. The article and video explain it very well.

Outdoor Life Article

Outdoor Life-YouTube

The fight in Colorado is a pending ballot initiative. We don't have a great record on ballot initiatives. We lost spring bear hunting, most of our recreational trapping by eliminating specific devices (body gripping traps, foothold traps, snares), and our state wildlife agency (Colorado Parks and Wildlife) was mandated after the election in 2020 to introduce wolves into the state. All of these were decisions made at the ballot box that impacted sportsmen and women and didn't take into account legitimate hunting/trapping recreation or sound wildlife management.

Lastly, here is a link to the sportsman group that is spearheading the fight. Unfortunately in the past individual sportsmen have not banded together. It's easy to say: "I'm not a bear hunter.", or "I'm not a trapper.", or "They're only going to put wolves on the western slope, so it won't impact me." It's a death by a thousand cuts, and the animals rights folks and anti-hunters are whittling away at things we hold dear. It's also pretty easy to say: "That's Colorado, or Oregon, they would never do that in Idaho, or Wyoming."

Coloradans for Responsible Wildlife Management

This group has their work cut out for them and can use all the help they can get. I'm not getting anything out of this other than getting the word out and trying to rally the troops.

LHS

GB1

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Both CO and OR have been taken over by displaced idiots from CA. CA outlawed mountain lion hunting decades ago. This just proves when LIBs move from one place to another they always take their LIB ways with them and screw up the new place.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am from Oregon and agree 100% that libs have taken over. They tried to get a ballot that would have oout lawed all farming hunting fishing. Wolves are wreaking havoc on hunting as well. Hunting is life line for small towns. 50% or more income from hunting. You will never see a lib out looking for wolves and spending money. The long term goal is no guns and hunting. They want us all to eat grass. Good luck in CA Oops CO. The same idiots are here they screwed up their state now they screwing up our state.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
LHS905 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
OK, here's the latest. I tried to attach the pdf file, but it said it was too big, so the text is pasted in below for those that want to read it.

Here are the highlights:

They don't want to be percieved as anti-hunting so they've included a provision for a hunting season. Annually December 17 through December 30. No reference to the current quota system that very rigorously limits harvest to specific geographic areas, with the possibility for a season currently of November 27- April 30 if there is a large quota in a unit to limit depredation on livestock.

Here's the kickers they've added:

No use of hounds, or facilitate or assist in the hunting or killing. That eliminates outfitters. Making it a felony.

Their language of assessing license suspension points and a suspension contradicts the current license suspension process.

They introduce to Colorado statutes the definition of "Trophy Hunting". There is currently no definition in Colorado CRS.

The killing of a mountain lion, bobcat, or lynx, and keeping or transferring to another, whether by gift, sale, or in any other manner except as provided in this section,
or soliciting another person to kill a mountain lion, bobcat, or lynx.

I think they just defined hunting-really easy to apply that to the next species-elk, deer, grouse, turkey, etc.

Luckily they also define when it isn't "Trophy Hunting":

They do allow for killing the above species while in the act of defending human life, livestock, real or personal property, a motor vehicle (WTF-lions attacking cars??).
Also, they allow you to avoid felony penalties if you happen to hit one with a car, boat, or train.

If you harvest a lion, bobcat, or lynx during their limited short season you must present it to CPW within 36 hours and relinquish all the trophy parts (hide, head, claws). I find this interesting because lynx are currently designated as an endangered species and there is no season on them. I guess they'll accept any that get harvested. This also eliminates any economic benefit to taxidermists, tanneries, etc. Of course they could care less.

Again, as in my OP, hunters need to get together on this as it's just the next step to remove hunting at all. It doesn't matter if you will ever hunt lions, bobcats, or lynx. They are trying to eliminate all hunting. It also doesn't matter if you live in Texas, Idaho, or Ohio.

LHS

Be it Enacted by the People of the State Colorado:

SECTION 1. In Colorado Revised Statutes, add 33-4-101.4 as follows:

33-4-101.4. Wild cats – declaration of intent – hunting season - penalty.

(1) THE PURPOSE AND INTENT OF THIS SECTION IS TO LIMIT THE INHUMANE AND UNSPORTING TAKING
OF MOUNTAIN LIONS, BOBCATS AND LYNX AND TO PROVIDE FOR A LIMITED SEASON AS REFERENCED
HEREIN, BUT NOT TO REQUIRE ANY SEASON AT ALL. THESE PROVISIONS ARE INTENDED TO MINIMIZE
NEEDLESS ORPHANING OF THESE ANIMALS’ YOUNG. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION SHALL BE SO
CONSTRUED.

(2) DURING THE PERIOD FROM JANUARY 1 THROUGH DECEMBER 17 OF ANY CALENDAR YEAR IT IS
UNLAWFUL FOR ANY PERSON TO TAKE A MOUNTAIN LION, BOBCAT OR LYNX BY ANY MEANS,
INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO FIREARM, TRAP, BAIT, ELECTRONIC DEVICE, BOW AND ARROW, OR
BY THE USE OF ONE OR MORE DOGS.

(3) IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR ANY PERSON, AT ANY TIME, TO USE TRAPS, BAIT, ONE OR MORE DOGS, OR
ELECTRONIC DEVICES TO FOLLOW OR CHASE A MOUNTAIN LION, BOBCAT, OR LYNX OR TO
FACILITATE OR ASSIST IN THE HUNTING OR KILLING OF A MOUNTAIN LION, BOBCAT, OR LYNX.

(4) THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION SHALL NOT APPLY WHEN A MOUNTAIN LION, BOBCAT OR
LYNX IS TAKEN PURSUANT TO ANY OF THE EXCLUSIONS FROM THE DEFINITION OF “TROPHY
HUNTING” SET FORTH IN SUBSECTION 33-6-117(1)(C)(VI).

(5) ANY PERSON WHO VIOLATES SUBSECTION (2) OF THIS SECTION COMMITS A CLASS 6
FELONY AND SHALL BE PUNISHED, INCLUDING THE ASSESSMENT OF A FINE, AS PROVIDED IN
SECTION 18-1.3-401, C.R.S. UPON SUCH CONVICTION, THE COMMISSION SHALL ASSESS TEN
LICENSE SUSPENSION POINTS AND SUSPEND THE WILDLIFE LICENSE PRIVILEGES FOR ONE TO
FIVE YEARS OF THE PERSON CONVICTED.

SECTION 2. In Colorado Revised Statutes, add 33-6-117(1)(c) and amend 33-6-117(2) as
follows:

33-6-117. Willful destruction of wildlife – legislative intent.

(1) (a) Except as is otherwise provided in articles 1 to 6 of this title or by rule of the commission,
it is unlawful for a person:

(I) To hunt or take, or to solicit another person to hunt or take, wildlife and detach or remove, with
the intent to abandon the carcass or body, only the head, hide, fur, claws, teeth, antlers, horns,
internal organs, or feathers or any or all of such parts;

(II) To intentionally abandon the carcass or body of taken wildlife; or

(III) To take and intentionally abandon wildlife.

Received by Legislative Council Staff

11/22/23 at 4:20 pm

Initiative 2023-24 #101: Prohibit Trophy Hunting

(b) A person who violates subsection (1)(a), with respect to:

(I) Big game, eagles, and endangered species, commits a class 5 felony and shall be punished as
provided in section 18-1.3-401, C.R.S., and, in addition, shall be punished by a fine of not less
than one thousand dollars nor more than twenty thousand dollars. For offenses committed on or
after July 1, 1985, the fine shall be in an amount within the presumptive range set out in section
18-1.3-401 (1)(a)(III), C.R.S. Upon such conviction, the commission shall assess twenty license
suspension points and suspend the wildlife license privileges for one year to life of the person
convicted.

(II) All other wildlife species, EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN SUBSECTION (1)(c), commits a class 2
misdemeanor and is assessed twenty license suspension points.

(c) (I) NOTWITHSTANDING SUBSECTION (1) OF THIS SECTION, AND EXCEPT AS IS OTHERWISE
PROVIDED IN ARTICLES 1 TO 6 OF THIS TITLE, IT IS UNLAWFUL TO ENGAGE IN TROPHY HUNTING
OF A MOUNTAIN LION, BOBCAT, OR LYNX.

(II) NOTWITHSTANDING SUBSECTION (1) OF THIS SECTION, AND EXCEPT AS IS OTHERWISE
PROVIDED IN ARTICLES 1 TO 6 OF THIS TITLE, ANY PERSON WHO KILLS A MOUNTAIN LION, LYNX,
OR BOBCAT MUST, WITHIN THIRTY-SIX HOURS OF THE KILL, RELINQUISH ALL OF THE ANIMAL’S
BODY PARTS THAT QUALIFY AS A TROPHY TO AN AUTHORIZED OFFICIAL IN A COLORADO PARKS
AND WILDLIFE REGIONAL OFFICE.

(III) FOR PURPOSES OF THIS SUBSECTION:

(A) “TROPHY” MEANS THE MOUNT, DISPLAY, OR PRESERVATION OF A MOUNTAIN
LION, BOBCAT, OR LYNX, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE SKIN OF THE
HEAD, THE ENTIRE SKIN, HEAD, FUR, HIDE, EARS, LEGS, FEET, OR CLAWS, IN A
LIFELIKE REPRESENTATION OR DEPICTION OF THE ANIMAL OR ITS BODY PARTS.

(B) “TROPHY HUNTING” MEANS:

(i) THE KILLING OF A MOUNTAIN LION, BOBCAT, OR LYNX, AND KEEPING OR
TRANSFERRING TO ANOTHER, WHETHER BY GIFT, SALE, OR IN ANY OTHER
MANNER EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN SUBSECTION (1)(c)(II) OF THIS SECTION, ONE
OR MORE TROPHIES FROM SUCH ANIMAL; OR

(ii) SOLICITING ANOTHER PERSON TO KILL A MOUNTAIN LION, BOBCAT, OR LYNX,
WITH THE INTENT TO ACQUIRE AND KEEP OR TRANSFER ONE OR MORE TROPHIES
EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN SUBSECTION (1)(c)(II) OF THIS SECTION.

(IV) ANY PERSON WHO VIOLATES SUBSECTION (1)(c)(I) OF THIS SECTION COMMITS A CLASS 5
FELONY AND SHALL BE PUNISHED, INCLUDING THE ASSESSMENT OF A FINE, AS PROVIDED IN
SECTION 18-1.3-401,C.R.S. UPON SUCH CONVICTION, THE COMMISSION SHALL ASSESS TWENTY
LICENSE SUSPENSION POINTS AND SUSPEND THE WILDLIFE LICENSE PRIVILEGES FOR ONE YEAR
TO LIFE OF THE PERSON CONVICTED.

(V) ANY PERSON WHO VIOLATES SUBSECTION (1)(c)(II) OF THIS SECTION COMMITS A CLASS 6
SECTION 18-1.3-401, C.R.S. UPON SUCH CONVICTION, THE COMMISSION SHALL ASSESS TEN
LICENSE SUSPENSION POINTS AND SUSPEND THE WILDLIFE LICENSE PRIVILEGES FOR ONE TO FIVE
YEARS OF THE PERSON CONVICTED.

(VI) “TROPHY HUNTING” DOES NOT INCLUDE:

(A) ANY ACT SPECIFIED IN SUBSECTION (1)(c)(I) OF THIS SECTION IF IT WAS
CONDUCTED IN THE DEFENSE OF HUMAN LIFE, LIVESTOCK, REAL OR PERSONAL
PROPERTY, OR A MOTOR VEHICLE PURSUANT TO SECTION 33-3-106 AND APPROPRIATE
NONLETHAL METHODS HAVE BEEN USED AS DEFINED BY THE COMMISSION, EXCEPT THAT
LETHAL MEANS MAY BE USED TO DEFEND HUMAN LIFE;

(B) ANY ACT SPECIFIED IN SUBSECTION (1)(c)(I) OF THIS SECTION IF IT WAS
CONDUCTED BY AN AUTHORIZED EMPLOYEE OF THE DIVISION OF PARKS AND WILDLIFE,
THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, OR THE UNITED STATES
DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR, WHEN THE EMPLOYEE IS ACTING IN HIS OR HER OFFICIAL
CAPACITY;

(C) THE ACCIDENTAL WOUNDING OR KILLING OF A MOUNTAIN LION, LYNX, OR
BOBCAT BY A MOTOR VEHICLE, VESSEL, OR TRAIN;

(D) THE USE OF NONLETHAL METHODS BY A PERSON AUTHORIZED TO CAPTURE A
MOUNTAIN LION, BOBCAT OR LYNX FOR PURPOSES OF BONA FIDE SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH,
FOR RELOCATION PERMITTED IN ACCORDANCE WITH RULES OF THE DIVISION OR FOR
MEDICAL TREATMENT OF THE ANIMAL BEING CAPTURED AS PERMITTED BY SECTION 33-
6-206(1)(a), (1)(c), OR (1)(d);

(E) ANY ACT SPECIFIED IN SUBSECTION (1)(C)(I) OF THIS SECTION IF AUTHORIZED
BY THE COMMISSIONER OF AGRICULTURE PURSUANT TO SECTION 35-40-101 TO
CONTROL DEPREDATING ANIMALS;

(F) EUTHANASIA OF AN ILL OR INJURED MOUNTAIN LION, BOBCAT, OR LYNX,
DONE FOR HUMANE REASONS, BY A PERSON LICENSED TO PRACTICE VETERINARY
MEDICINE UNDER THE COLORADO VETERINARY PRACTICE ACT, ARTICLE 315 OF TITLE
12;

(G) ANY ACT SPECIFIED IN SUBSECTION (1)(C)(I) OF THIS SECTION IF IT WAS
CONDUCTED PURSUANT TO A SPECIAL LICENSE ISSUED BY THE DIVISION OF PARKS AND
WILDLIFE UNDER SECTION 33-4-102(2)(a), 2(i), OR (13); OR

(H) ANY ACT SPECIFIED IN SUBSECTION (1)(C)(I) OF THIS SECTION IF IT WAS
CONDUCTED BY AN EMPLOYEE OR CONTRACTOR OF A FEDERAL, STATE, COUNTY, CITY
AND COUNTY, OR MUNICIPAL DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH FOR THE PURPOSE OF
PROTECTING HUMAN HEALTH OR SAFETY PURSUANT TO SECTION 33-6-205.

(2) (a) The purpose and intent OF SUBSECTION (1)(a) of this section is to protect the wildlife of this
state from wanton, ruthless, or wasteful destruction or mutilation for their heads, hides, claws,
teeth, antlers, horns, internal organs, or feathers, from being taken and abandoned, or any or all of
the foregoing, and the PERTINENT provisions of this section shall be so construed.

(b) THE PURPOSE AND INTENT OF SUBSECTION (1)(c) OF THIS SECTION IS TO PREVENT THE KILLING
OF MOUNTAIN LIONS, BOBCATS OR LYNX, SIMPLY SO HUNTERS MAY ACQUIRE PARTS OF THESE
ANIMALS AS SOUVENIRS OF THEIR HUNTS. THESE PROVISIONS ARE INTENDED TO ELIMINATE THE
INCREASINGLY PREVALENT AND INHUMANE PRACTICES OF USING DOGS AND ELECTRONIC DEVICES
TO FACILITATE TROPHY HUNTING OF MOUNTAIN LIONS, BOBCATS, OR LYNX . THE PERTINENT
PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION SHALL BE SO CONSTRUED.

SECTION 2. Effective date - applicability. This measure shall be effective on and after the date
it is declared by proclamation of the governor to have been adopted by voters and shall apply to
offenses committed on or after the effective date.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I read somewhere that they are being forced to remove the "Trophy hunting" language. But that wont' stop them from trying to end "hunting" in general either.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B2

LHS905 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I had heard that too, remove it from the title anyway.

The document I posted was dated 11/22, so I guess they get other opportunities to change the language. A moving target.

Thanks for looking.

LHS

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Oregon is quickly going to hell in a handbasket. Aside from trying to make firearms ownership nearly impossible, hunting and livestock will be on the chopping block next fall.

If passed, IP-3 will remove animal cruelty protections from hunting and livestock. Lord come quickly.

LHS905 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Good luck with that. I would have never thought as a kid that everything that I lived for-shooting sports, hunting, etc. would come under fire like this.

Fight the good fight, but punch below the belt if you can get away with it!

LHS

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It will be interesting to see how all the tree huggers get their data on mountain lions when they ban hound hunting. I hope the hounds men tell them to GFY.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
LHS905 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
In commemoration of the last ballot initiative donneybrook coming to fruition today in Colorado:

https://www.coloradopolitics.com/ne...54c36f6-9e06-11ee-83a8-576b0e14d4bb.html

I have been busy doing my diligent research as a Colorado voter and have an update. What I referred to previously as "the" ballot initiative is actually 2 different ballot initiatives.

Here are links to the current language of the proposals, where they currently reside with the Secretary of State's Office:

Colorado Ballot Proposal 2023-2024 #91 - Prohibit Trophy Hunting

Colorado Ballot Proposal 2023-2024 #101 - Prohibit Trophy Hunting

Confusing, isn't it? I think that is by design. They have been submitted by different "Designated Representatives". If you're interested, please read them! Certainly, when something shows up on the ballot-be an informed voter. There's a lot of legalese in them, but here are some highlights.

-Prohibits the hunting of the 3 species altogether. Ironically lynx are and endangered species and there is no hunting of them currently.
-Introduces "Trophy Hunting" language into the Colorado Revised Statutes (CRS) that currently doesn't exist.
-Sets the penalties for the violation of the proposed statutes at the misdemeanor level and imposes license suspesion penalties outside the existing suspension system.

-As highlighted above-allows for a 2 week season contrary to what exists currently.
-Also introduces "Trophy Hunting" language to CRS.
-Reguires turning over all "Trophy" parts to CPW. Allowing the hunter to keep only the meat.
-Makes all violations of the proposed statutes felonies-including assisting someone in the harvest-this would elimnate outfitters. Most wildlife violations in Colorado are
misdemeanors.

Again, here is a link to Coloradans for Responsible Wildlife Management (CRWM) https://savethehuntcolorado.com/

Who knows what will end up being on the ballot, but CRWM are the ones fully engaged in this fight. Here is your chance as a sportsman to contribute to this fight and stop this BS ballot box biology!

I also came across the website for the group spearheading this. https://catsarenttrophies.org/ Isn't that cute. Why did I include them here:

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will
also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

They are looking for volunteers to help gather signatures. Maybe there are some folks inclined to "Monkeywrench" their effort.

LHS

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Reckon those who champion such causes would thoroughly enjoy a Mountain Lion, Wolf, Bear or any other predatormilling around in their back yard?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Reckon those who champion such causes would thoroughly enjoy a Mountain Lion, Wolf, Bear or any other predatormilling around in their back yard?

Yes they would - great pictures from the kitchen window then dial 911 for a government agent for help. Then post pictures on social media . That's how they live.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Honestly, join SCI. They are already fighting the Colorado initiative.

I have not heard of the Oregon scenario.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coast to coast no papers...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
LHS905 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Alrighty-Here's the update.

#101 is gone according to the Secretary of States office. Listed under ballot initiatives "Withdrawn". Digging into it, the petitioner's (Dan Gates, the good guy in this case) motion to dismiss was unopposed by the respondents (Samantha Bruegger and Jeffrey Hersh).

#91 appears to be where they are putting all of the their money. Link below as to where that money is coming from. Spoiler alert...I know you'll be shocked to hear that the bulk of the money is coming from out of state animal rights organizations. One of the other contributors is Pat Craig the owner of The Wild Animal Sanctuary. Look into that one-he believes it's in the best interest of "Wild" animals to live inside pens outside of their native habitat. He's a "collector" of animals. A glorified cat lady, ala Carole Baskin of Tiger King fame who has also written editorials to our local papers in support of this initiative.

https://pagetwo.completecolorado.com/2024/02/02/out-of-state-money-anti-hunting-ballot-measure/

Here is a link to the current status of 91. "Approved for Circulation"

https://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/elections/Initiatives/titleBoard/index.html

The petition format has been approved and they have until 07/05/2024 to turn their petition in for inclusion on the November ballot. Expect to see folks outside grocery stores in front range population centers collecting those important signatures. Because that's where they got the signatures and votes for the wolf initiative. Here is at least one group soliciting volunteers to collect those signatures. Know your enemy.

https://catsarenttrophies.org/

Maybe they'll highlight the media coverage of the recent mountain lion pet attacks in Summit County.

And, last but not least, actually the most important part of this is a link to Coloradans for Responsible Wildlife Management the one group that in my opinion is doing the most and leading the charge in this fight. I know there are others-this is where my money is going.

https://savethehuntcolorado.com/

Keep up the fight!

LHS

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oregon got taken over by libs a looooong time ago.

Last Republican governor left office in 1987.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yep and it's been sliding down hill ever since. The slop we are on now is taking us down fast.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 55 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,582
Posts18,473,355
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.