Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I still have a couple days to hunt in Pennsylvania but I am already starting to put plans together next year. I would like to do a week-long big woods hunt in either Maine or the ADKs. I am more familiar with the Adirondacks so I am leaning that way. I would like to go in mid-November.

I have a few questions if anyone is willing to help. The 3 times I hunted deer in the ADKs, I went back into a wilderness area. I might do that again but some of what I have been reading suggests that there are more and bigger deer in the areas that have been logged in the past. I was considering switching to the Speculator area (or somewhere else) in hopes of finding some better habitat and food sources. Here are my questions:

Are secure tent sites available to put a wall tent where people are unlikely to mess with it? How is access?

If I go to an area that is not a wilderness area, will the hunting pressure be high compared to wilderness areas? (I like to be able to roam without interfering with other hunters).

Are there, in fact, bigger and more buck in these areas?

Is tracking snow likely in mid-November?

I appreciate any guidance. I have a wall tent and may use it as a base camp if there is a secure place with vehicle access. I will likely be alone so I can't haul tent camp gear far from my truck. I am considering just carrying a backpack and sleeping in a bivy like I did on my last 2 trips but it would be difficult to not get bogged down by a heavy pack if I am bringing a week's worth of food. I also think snow could make a bivy hunt miserable if it got too deep. I would love to snow track and I think that would mean I don't have to wake up deep in the forest to have a chance at a buck. I have slept in a bivy in past years so I don't have to walk in and out every morning or evening in the dark. I can be a few miles back an just wake up in my spot when I do it that way.

Any other tips or suggestions? Thanks

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that there are people who will steal anything that isn't locked up tights wherever you go, so a secure tent site is only secure if somebody is always on site to discourage potential thieves.

I would suggest hiking into the area that you want to hunt a couple of days ahead of time so that you can build a sleeping platform with a ridgepole that you can use to make a roof with a plastic tarp. One of my friends in New England does that and claims that the Youtube site called Corporal's Corner has posted videos of good sleeping platform designs. He says that he builds a variation of Mors Kochanski's super shelter on the platform. He uses hemp twine, no nails, so it is all biodegradable once he removes the plastic tarp.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have hunted the Adirondacks in the Weaverton/Riparious/Speculator area in the late 1960's early 1970's. While this is a beautiful area I never had any luck. I hunted Aroostook County, ME in the Paton Oxbow region, I took a heavily palmated 11pt. buck which field dressed 254# and held the camp record for as long as the camp (Katahdin Lodge & Camps/Finley Clarke) was in operation. I saw several other bucks of similar size brought into camp back in that time period (early 1970's).

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have no experience in Maine. If I were wanting to do what you’re planning, I’d be more inclined to do it in the northern Adirondacks, Tupper Lake, Raquette Lake, Star Lake, Stillwater Reservoir area. Further from the Central NY/Mohawk Valley population centers.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks guys. I did my first 3 trips to the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness. I am leaning toward going back since I know the area but the hunting hasn't been great. I always enjoy the experience though.

With regard to building a shelter, I have considered doing that - maybe even building a frame in the summer. I also thought about putting a cache of emergency food out there before the season in a bear proof container. There are also some lean-tos around if not occupied by other hunters.

I had a book on Adirondack hunting but can't seem to find it. I'll order another one if they are still available.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was in VT, NH and Southern ME over Thanksgiving. You would’ve been SOL on tracking snow anywhere I went. There had been a little snow from earlier in the month, but what was left was minimal and sounded like you were walking on Rice Krispies.

Getting on a big track in fresh snow and doing it Benoit style would be a cool experience.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Tracking snow in northern Maine is a crap shoot - very unpredictable. I used to hunt the third week of November every year in northern Maine. We had snow less often Han half the years. Also, hunting has changed greatly, not for the better, in northern Maine since the 1970’s and 80’s due to extensive logging and the associated road building. I’d suggest staying with the area you know.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The ADK is going to be tough no matter where you go. Anything that’s been logged in the last 30 years is going to be private land within the park and is most likely already leased. I’ve never hunted Maine but it seems like they definitely have more deer per square mile than the ‘dacks.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Would you consider the Catskill Mountains (NY)? Decent deer population, and closer to PA.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ve hunted East Canada Lakes which I believe is near Speculator. Nice country but I never saw a deer. We moved over to Long Lake and Lewey Lake and again never saw a deer. We saw plenty of rubs, scrapes, tracks and droppings but never any deer. After 6 years of this we gave up and just hunted the Catskills!

IC B3

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by buttstock
Would you consider the Catskill Mountains (NY)? Decent deer population, and closer to PA.

Probably not. I think the seasons are different and I like to be able to roam. Maybe I'll look into it, though.

I did a lot with maps last night and I am pretty set on a location. Now I just need to figure out whether to use a tent/base camp or backpack and bivy.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When we hunted Lewey Lake, we rented a cabin on the lake and trailered up a 14 ft. row boat with motor. At 6:30AM we would motor across the lake and hunt all day never seeing anyone. Then motor back at dusk. It was real nice coming back to a warm cabin!

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
In Maine hmmmmmm I use to hunt North woods..... I now hunt western Maine hmmmmmm

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Theeck

Probably not. I think the seasons are different and I like to be able to roam. Maybe I'll look into it, though.

I did a lot with maps last night and I am pretty set on a location. Now I just need to figure out whether to use a tent/base camp or backpack and bivy.

No way I'd consider hunting in the Adirondacks with just a bivy - you can't be sure of snow, but you can pretty much guarantee getting wet. You will get some sort of rain/sleet/freezing rain/snow/slush during hunting season! Temps in November anywhere from 60s to below zero - maybe in the same week! When you get rain or wet snow one day and the temps drop that night you need a way to get dried out.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
New york or West virgina

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The density where I live in and hunt in northern Maine ranges between 2-5 deer per square mile.

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by Theeck

No way I'd consider hunting in the Adirondacks with just a bivy - you can't be sure of snow, but you can pretty much guarantee getting wet. You will get some sort of rain/sleet/freezing rain/snow/slush during hunting season! Temps in November anywhere from 60s to below zero - maybe in the same week! When you get rain or wet snow one day and the temps drop that night you need a way to get dried out.

I've done it twice already and had a great time but it was in late October. Both trips it hit 40s or 50s during the day and 20s at night. Not too bad as far as temps. My trip next year will probably be the 2nd week of November so I am sure I could hit colder weather. I'll pack a zero-degree sleeping bag. I also pack a Sitka flash shelter (or similar tarp) to get under if it rains. I had a major downpour in my last trip and it wasn't pleasant but it was manageable. I think snow would be fine to a point but heavy snow might make things tough.

I sort of like the idea of having somewhere warm to go at the end of the day but I have a really hard time getting going in the morning early enough to be in a good spot at daybreak when I am in a warm tent and it is freezing out. I may make the decision the week before based on the forecast. Another option is to bivy but keep some emergency supplies (spare sleeping bag, clothes, tent, and extra food in my truck. That way I have an option if things get miserable.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Last year on Nov 16-21 2022 parts of NY and the Adirondacks recieved up to 4 feet of wet heavy snow, https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/TWCNews/2022%20snow. The forcast was for about a foot. We were snowed in at our hunting camp and could't get our trucks out until middle of the next week - and it took hiring a dozer to open up 4 miles of road.

This year we had no snow in November.

Next year - ????

I'm not saying don't go hunting, just be flexible.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There’s lots of places in the Adirondacks where you can drive to, and set up a wall tent out of the back of your truck, and hunt from there. It’s nice to get the camp into the back country, but the logistics are much, much more involved. Plus, getting way off the beaten path really isn’t always necessary for success.
Some good areas to check out are Raquette Lake, Moise River Plains, Stillwater Reservoir, and High Peaks Wilderness area. Once you find a suitable camping spot, secure a permit from the local ranger. It’s free, and allows you to leave the camp up for as long as you like. As far as anyone stealing your gear, I have never had a problem, but I have never left it unattended for a long period of time either. It’s somewhat a leap of faith. Don’t assume you would be safe in the backcountry either, two years ago I caught a couple young hunters nosing around my backcountry camp midday. It may have been innocent curiosity, maybe not, who knows?
Be prepared, whether you hunt Maine or the Adirondacks, there are not a lot of deer. I mean it can be dismal. I hunted a new area in the Adirondacks this year, a hunting club on leased timber company land. All of it had been heavily logged, and was prime deer habitat. I saw a total of 5 deer all season, 2 does, 2 small bucks, and a nice buck that I shot. I saw more deer than any of the other 10 members, and was the only one successful. Last year in the High Peaks I went 3 or 4 days without seeing much of anything, then I had a day where I saw 10. That was the most deer activity I had ever seen in the Adirondacks in one day in almost 40 years hunting there.
The problem with hunting the big woods is, it’s addictive. I desperately would like to hunt where the numbers are better, and the trophy quality is better, but my vacation always gets planned on going to the woods.
If you need any help with planning coming up, shoot me a PM and I’d be happy to help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eblake
Also, hunting has changed greatly, not for the better, in northern Maine since the 1970’s and 80’s due to extensive logging and the associated road building. I’d suggest staying with the area you know.
ATVs have changed a lot about hunting here in NB as well. I'm sure it's the same across in Maine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 77 invisible), 3,069 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,106
Posts18,483,278
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.