-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There is a Ruger gold label on gunbroker.com bidding ends tomorrow. If anyone is interested. Item #:1021808239

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Why are the gold labels so expensive these days? Collectors? Rarity?

I can't imagine them being a superb handling shotgun in the uplands being a hefty 12ga ruger....

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
They are not hefty...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

I can't imagine them being a superb handling shotgun in the uplands being a hefty 12ga ruger....
They only made a few thousand from 2004-06

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buds guns in Sevierville, TN had one for 2999 in July

I like guns | optics | fishing
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by EdM
They are not hefty...

Oh what do they weigh?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They handle surprisingly well but they are more of a collectors item and the price reflects that. I had one once upon a time but now, I would not shoot it too much because condition significantly impacts collector value and these were never noted for reliability and Ruger is not supporting them with parts or repairs. Definitely a great conversation piece though.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by FYD16
They handle surprisingly well but they are more of a collectors item and the price reflects that. I had one once upon a time but now, I would not shoot it too much because condition significantly impacts collector value and these were never noted for reliability and Ruger is not supporting them with parts or repairs. Definitely a great conversation piece though.

When the Gold Label were launched IIRC for roughly the same $$ you could also buy a Beretta 471 SilverHawk or an introductory model Merkel (47E?). The feel and handling of the GL didn't appeal to me as much as others in the same $$ range.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Agreed. The GL is nice but doesn’t come near a Merkel or Beretta SxS to me. I have owned them all. Still have Beretta and Win 21 sxs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by FYD16

When the Gold Label were launched IIRC for roughly the same $$ you could also buy a Beretta 471 SilverHawk or an introductory model Merkel (47E?). The feel and handling of the GL didn't appeal to me as much as others in the same $$ range.

When they came out, I was still working in the Wholesale Firearms Industry. IIRC, Dealer Cost was $1299.
Could have picked one with the nicest wood available, had I wanted one. Guy I worked with bought one. He said it was the worst hard kicking SXS he’d ever shot.
I waited for them to come out with a 20 ga version.
But of course, they never did.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Are you confusing the Gold Label SxS with the Red Label O/U? The Gold Label SxS were relatively light, especially when compared the heft of the Ruger Red Label O/U shotguns. And Ruger made very, very few Gold Label SxS shotguns.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had one and thought it was a nice handling shotgun, but then again I'm not a double-gun snob. Fit and finish was nice and mine had a gorgeously figured stock. I woulda been all over a 20ga version! Don't know what came over me to sell it, probably was the fella offering me double what I paid for it?

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Are you confusing the Gold Label SxS with the Red Label O/U? The Gold Label SxS were relatively light, especially when compared the heft of the Ruger Red Label O/U shotguns. And Ruger made very, very few Gold Label SxS shotguns.

Yes. They are the diametric opposite of the 12 gauge red label.

T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I briefly owned a Gold Label. Wholesale cost was around $1200 at the time. It was a pleasant handling 12 gauge and I prefer single triggers. Stock dimensions were not ideal for me and I disliked Rugers selective safety. I think it was bargain when they came out- not so much at the current pricing.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tcp
I briefly owned a Gold Label. Wholesale cost was around $1200 at the time. It was a pleasant handling 12 gauge and I prefer single triggers. Stock dimensions were not ideal for me and I disliked Rugers selective safety. I think it was bargain when they came out- not so much at the current pricing.

That was the only trouble I had with mine – that Ruger selective safety would get hung up. Trip back to Ruger fixed it, but it cost me a few pats; or at least shots at them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 8 invisible), 1,502 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,327
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.