Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
30-06
When I bought the rifle not long after they came out, the magazine wouldn't feed the rounds upward. They sent me a new one, and another new one... I have 4 of them now and only the last one will feed properly...until now. The bottom round is now hanging up. I have to hit it with my hand to jar the case loose.

Have they improved the mags to where they're reliable? If I bought a new one, would it work right?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Barnard loves em.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Are these plastic mags? I saw some vids where the plastic mags relax their sides then have fail to feed issues. In the vid the guy puts a squeeze on sides of mags then pushes cartridges out of mag with a thumb. Next cartridge up lifts normal, and so on.

No solution offered in the vid. Wonder if a method to squeeze the mag with some sort of clamp device, heat with hot air gun, let cool. See if the mag keeps the shape then.

GOA
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, they're plastic. I'm surprised that noone in China has ever come out with a good quality replacement. Every RAR owner would grab them. It's a very good, accurate rifle for a budget gun but they're mags suck.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The rotary mags worked in my .243, but the .22-250 rotary did not work well especially in warm weather. The tapered cases would actually pop up at the front and stand like a flagpole. I first bought a mag for a .450 BM that worked flawlessly, but it extended from the stock in a way that I didn't like. Finally, Ruger came out with a staggered mag that works just fine. It is marked .308 family.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
As a test lay some mask tape on sides of mags in the concave area to see if the additional thickness allows the mag well to keep the mag squeezed in. Cycle cartridges to see if this helps.

An afro engineered test just to see. Maybe I'm talking chit and this test is fubar as I do not own a RAR with the plastic mag. I do own a RAR 223 that uses AR mags. Good shooter. 10 round metal mags.

GOA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought at one point ACS or some other manufacturer came out with some steel magazines for the RAR. No?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
do an AR type or aics conversion.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ldholton
Do much of that and you might as well by a different gun.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
they should go to the mauser style internal mag rather then a stupid detachable mag

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I searched for a long action staggered mag, but I didn't see one anywhere on the web. Maybe Ruger thinks the long action rotary mag actually works. My short action staggered mag works great.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
As a test lay some mask tape on sides of mags in the concave area to see if the additional thickness allows the mag well to keep the mag squeezed in. Cycle cartridges to see if this helps.

An afro engineered test just to see. Maybe I'm talking chit and this test is fubar as I do not own a RAR with the plastic mag. I do own a RAR 223 that uses AR mags. Good shooter. 10 round metal mags.
Squeezing the sides of the mag is counterproductive. It makes it worse. The cases are already dragging on the sides so they can't come to the top.
These guns have been on the market for more than 10 years and Ruger still can't make a decent mag for them.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger provides a AIC bottom conversion for the american rifles, gets rid of the 4 round magazine problems.
2 of my friends did that after all the magazine issues, now no issues...and 10 round mags.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5spd
Ruger provides a AIC bottom conversion for the american rifles, gets rid of the 4 round magazine problems.
2 of my friends did that after all the magazine issues, now no issues...and 10 round mags.
In long action? And I bet the OP's rifle is from before the stocks had interchangeable magazine well inserts.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Spraying silicone or liquid car wax inside and buffing it with a qtip will help.Not a permanent fix but mine work for a good while after I do it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The original rotary mags sucked. The newer guns come with staggered feed mags. They suck less.

The Predators that use AICS style magazines are a lot better. I like them well enough and at one time had Predators in 223, 6.5CM and 308. The 223 takes AR mags and works very well with 10 round MagPul's. I sold the other 2 and replaced them with Tikka's. Mags work better and they are a bit more accurate.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

You may have found your solution.

Might be time to move on from that one.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My .223 predator came with the 10 round plastic clip and after maybe 100 rounds thru it is functioning fine?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
not really the magazine cost for the AR is cheap and depending on which chambering you got that many of the Asics style mags are very cheap. and if you have the correct stock the conversion pieces from Ruger are really cheap...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My gun is a 30-06...long action. Most of the suggestions are for short action only. It has the trigger guard molded into the stock so It's not replaceable. I haven't seen a mag replacement or conversion that will fit it. If you know of one, please tell me where.

― George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,944
Posts18,498,934
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.