Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You must be quite a bit older then. I'm 68.

Please don't feed the trolls!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The very definition of a strawman purchase...
They may have changed the definition since then, but at the time, at least, it wasn't a straw purchase unless the end recipient was otherwise unqualified to own or possess a handgun.
You are going to need some serious proof to claim that. There have been arguments like yours for a long time... all are legally discredited.
Originally Posted by WMR
This law was so stupid, and it's great that it's overturned.

When I was 19, I got my NYS permit to purchase, own, and carry handguns concealed. In NYS, you need that permit to do any of the above. When it arrived in the mail, I went right to the local gun shop and tried to buy my first handgun (a stainless Ruger Speed Six), but was told that it was against Federal law for them to sell one to me. However, I was informed, Federal law didn't prohibit me from receiving one as a gift.

The gun store owner, therefore, arranged for one of his salesman (who also happened to be a cop) to purchase it and give it to me as a gift. I also gave that man a commensurate gift of cash. No law against exchanging gifts, after all, LOL.

It's nice that young people don't have to go through these types of methods to get around that stupid law anymore.

Lots of things were different in the old days. Fathers routinely bought guns and handed them to kids. Kids hunted alone regardless of the legal technicalities. Shucks, kids HAD fathers. That itself was pretty different.

I remember one kid, 15 at the time, who saved his grass cutting money and bought a 700 BDL 30-06. Negotiated the deal himself and his dad picked it up for him. He wishes he still had that gun….. Times were different. 🫤
A parent or guardian can buy guns for their kids and that is absolutely not a straw man purchase.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by lostsixgunner
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
You might be "misremembering" those details. I grew up in NY and could not get a permit until I was 21.
I got my N.Y. state pistol permit when I was 19 years old as well, back in 1975...
Yep, definitely not misremembering. I remember it quite clearly.

It was (is) at the discretion of the county judge in NY. They may issue them at 18, but most don’t. I remember a kid who was a student of mine getting his permit at 18, but his father had to buy his pistol for him. The judge cited the fact that he was an Eagle Scout in approving the permit.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They may have changed the definition since then, but at the time, at least, it wasn't a straw purchase unless the end recipient was otherwise unqualified to own or possess a handgun.
The definition of straw purchase:
a criminal act in which something, especially a firearm, is bought by one person on behalf of another who is legally unable to make the purchase themselves.

It doesn't matter why the person is legally unable to buy it. It might be age or a criminal record or maybe citizenship.
Yes, I remember when they changed the definition to that, but forty years ago, you had to be legally ineligible to own/possess it as a condition for it being an illegal straw purchase.
In '83 I was on my second FFL and started my third version in '85. I distinctly remember the concept of straw purchasers from the beginning. It was not until the late '90s that a major push was made about chasing them. The more recent ruling on the Glock fiasco which went against the uncle/nephew team did not change the law, it simply relied upon the facts and law as it existed.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The definition of straw purchase:
a criminal act in which something, especially a firearm, is bought by one person on behalf of another who is legally unable to make the purchase themselves.

It doesn't matter why the person is legally unable to buy it. It might be age or a criminal record or maybe citizenship.
Yes, I remember when they changed the definition to that, but forty years ago, you had to be legally ineligible to own/possess it as a condition for it being an illegal straw purchase.
I am not challenging the basic story. I believe you. But I know the law did not change. Just the basic understanding by the general public as it was clarified.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Abramski

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I am not challenging the basic story. I believe you. But I know the law did not change. Just the basic understanding by the general public as it was clarified.
Agreed. It was clarified at some point later by court decisions. Prior to that, it was only applied in cases where the end recipient was legally barred from possession, and that was how the law was explained to anyone who, at that time, asked an attorney or police authority about it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You are going to need some serious proof to claim that. There have been arguments like yours for a long time... all are legally discredited.
Originally Posted by WMR
This law was so stupid, and it's great that it's overturned.

When I was 19, I got my NYS permit to purchase, own, and carry handguns concealed. In NYS, you need that permit to do any of the above. When it arrived in the mail, I went right to the local gun shop and tried to buy my first handgun (a stainless Ruger Speed Six), but was told that it was against Federal law for them to sell one to me. However, I was informed, Federal law didn't prohibit me from receiving one as a gift.

The gun store owner, therefore, arranged for one of his salesman (who also happened to be a cop) to purchase it and give it to me as a gift. I also gave that man a commensurate gift of cash. No law against exchanging gifts, after all, LOL.

It's nice that young people don't have to go through these types of methods to get around that stupid law anymore.

Lots of things were different in the old days. Fathers routinely bought guns and handed them to kids. Kids hunted alone regardless of the legal technicalities. Shucks, kids HAD fathers. That itself was pretty different.

I remember one kid, 15 at the time, who saved his grass cutting money and bought a 700 BDL 30-06. Negotiated the deal himself and his dad picked it up for him. He wishes he still had that gun….. Times were different. 🫤
A parent or guardian can buy guns for their kids and that is absolutely not a straw man purchase.

As long as no money exchanges hands?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Regardless, the law is now null and void, which is great, and as it should be. What part of Shall Not Be Infringed didn't they get to start with?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,391
Posts18,527,800
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.