Hop To
Page 6 of 37 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 36 37
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Thegman
Originally Posted by Ringman
Here is a video by a scientist being interviewed about the age of the earth.

Appeal to authority.

"Scientists say" lots of things, about lots of things, the global "climate crisis" and mRNA vaccines to name a couple more recent examples.

E.g. I heard a "scientist" say if we stop burning fossil fuels we can stabilize the climate. Evidence however indicates that the climate hasn't been stable for as long as the Earth has existed, however long you may think that may be.

Evidence is more important than what "scientists say".

I agree with you completely. Both creationists and evolutionists use the same data. It's the interpretation that maters.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Thegman
Originally Posted by ironbender
No, you’re not.

Read a high school earth science book.

Brain washing! When I was in tenth grade biology class we were told Caucasians are the highest evolved race. This was in a school with about 2,500 kids from all ethnic groups in San Diego, California. I believed it until about twenty-five yeas of age. Now, science has discovered all humans are the same race.

More accurately, perhaps political ideologues who are labeled "scientists" have "discovered" all humans are the same race, but look around, the evidence clearly indicates that is not the case.

You are aware a black person can be a perfect match for a white person needing an organ transplant, correct?

Everyday Hunter
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Is it possible to discuss the fallacy of some arguments and still rely on Jesus' Blood for salvation?
Sure it is. That’s clearly been exactly what’s been occurring with multiple posts here.

I don't look to the first three chapters of Genesis to determine where I stand with God. I don't look to the first three chapters of Genesis to determine whether or not God loves me, whether or not God is with me, whether or not God cares for me.

Do you know where I look…? I look to a single event that took place on a hill outside the walls of Jerusalem. That's where I look, where God sent His son to pay for all of your sin and all of my sin. And that was His way of saying that He’s removed every obstacle between you and Him so that you can have fellowship with Him, and He can love you unconditionally. And He can hear your prayers regardless of your sin. And He can intervene if He chooses to. And He can comfort if that's what He chooses to do.

But you are in a right relationship with God. And you never ever, ever, ever, ever have to wonder if He loves you, if He cares about you, or if He is with you.

When someone can predict His own death and resurrection…and pulls it off…and He tells you that you can put your trust and confidence in Him…PERIOD…you believe Him.
Pray tell, where did you hear "whether or not God loves me, whether or not God is with me, whether or not God cares for me"?

Everyday Hunter
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scoony
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Ice cores can get us back about 70,000 years in Greenland and 400,000 in Antarctica. Dendrochronology can get us back a lot further than 5k years. The oldest living tree may be about 5000 years old but long dead preserved trees also provide ring data. Making a young earth an article of faith is foolish. A lot more emphasis is placed on the plan of salvation and that is really the important part isn’t it?

Perhaps you are ignorant of the WW2 bomber which was recovered about 250 feet down in the ice. According to ice cores it was multiple thousands of years down. And yet it was only a few decades. Kind of sounds like radiometric dating: Unreliable.

I remember one atheist in a lecture said something like, "If we can destroy the first three chapters of Genesis, in the burning remains will be the cross of Jesus." If death has been here before Adam, then what is the world going to return to when Jesus returns? Watch the video.

Actually the ice above those planes built up over that last decades and are not the same ice taken in core samples. Extreamly weak (and laughable) argument from young earth believers.

Please give us a link so we can be educated.

Everyday Hunter
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trust science.

Distrust scientists.

Bruce

IC B2

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Science makes sense to me and religion doesn't. Earth age 4.5 billion vs 6000 years. So to thumpers... when did the dinosaurs live?

I don't believe the earth is only 6,000 years old. After I watched the video, "Were the pyramids built before the Flood?" I changed my mind. I think it is closer to 7,000 years old. It appears Bishop Usher didn't have the same manuscripts which were translated into Latin about 250 BC.

Some here have mentioned Job. At the end of Job two dinosaurs were described as alive at that time. How do you think people around the world were able to depict them on pottery and at grave sights and on walls? Because they were alive at the time. How do you think scientists are finding lots of soft tissues in dinosaur bones?
so carbon dating old Dino bones that shows them millions of years old is flawed? Come on you can't be serious.

Carbon dating can only be used for things less than about 50,000 years old. And it has to be living once. ALL fossils and fossil fuels can be carbon dated.

Everyday Hunter
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcp
Trust science.

Distrust scientists.

Bruce

Great post!

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fact is, if you never opened the first three chapters of Genesis, if you never saw the first three chapters of Genesis, if you knew zero about the first three chapters of Genesis, if suddenly the first three chapters of Genesis vanished from Christianity, it would do nothing to undermine Christianity.

Because Christianity began when Jesus rose from the dead, and His closest followers recognized that He was who He claimed to be. People followed Jesus after the resurrection because of the resurrection. That’s how Christianity got started. It is not near as fragile as many think; and it certainly does not hang by a thread of the first three chapters of Genesis. It’s much more sturdier than that. If it was that fragile, Christianity would have never survived the 1st century.

Again, I look to a single event that took place outside the walls of Jerusalem when God allowed His son to die, to pay for your sin and my sin, and to assure that you and I can be and are in right standing with God.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"ALL fossils and fossil fuels can be carbon dated."

They can be dated, but not by carbon.

Your statements are absolutely the pinnacle of Bovine Excrement, due to either stupidity or gnorance. Or something. Doesn't seem curable tho.

And that's all I have to say about this.

Last edited by las; 12/02/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Science makes sense to me and religion doesn't. Earth age 4.5 billion vs 6000 years. So to thumpers... when did the dinosaurs live?

I don't believe the earth is only 6,000 years old. After I watched the video, "Were the pyramids built before the Flood?" I changed my mind. I think it is closer to 7,000 years old. It appears Bishop Usher didn't have the same manuscripts which were translated into Latin about 250 BC.

Some here have mentioned Job. At the end of Job two dinosaurs were described as alive at that time. How do you think people around the world were able to depict them on pottery and at grave sights and on walls? Because they were alive at the time. How do you think scientists are finding lots of soft tissues in dinosaur bones?
so carbon dating old Dino bones that shows them millions of years old is flawed? Come on you can't be serious.

Carbon dating can only be used for things less than about 50,000 years old. And it has to be living once. ALL fossils and fossil fuels can be carbon dated.

Patently false. Almost no fossil are “young” enough to be carbon dated.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Are you aware that carbon is not the only isotope that’s used for radiometric dating?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Amazing that we still have folks who place faith in the words of ancient scrolls over science, evidence and rigorous testing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fascinating how we have people claiming to be scientific and use overly general and subjective adjectives like “Rigorous” to portray their secret religion as true science.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Which is why they don't use carbon-14 dating for dinosaur fossils. They use uranium-238, uranium-235, and potassium-40 dating, which have half lives in the millions of years, unlike carbon-14, which is useful only for dating man made objects.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Well, this thread certainly didn't disappoint.

As entertainment, that is. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any thoughts on the Civil War?

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RayF
Fascinating how we have people claiming to be scientific and use overly general and subjective adjectives like “Rigorous” to portray their secret religion as true science.

If I recall correctly, you're a Young Earth Creationist?

If so, tell us about the "rigorous" methodology used to come to your conclusion.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bcp
Trust science.

Distrust scientists.

Bruce

Great post!

LOL. Ringman, you do understand that science says the earth is roughly 4.5 billion years old, and it's only a very small minority of scientists who say it's much younger.

Right?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by DBT
Amazing that we still have folks who place faith in the words of ancient scrolls over science, evidence and rigorous testing.

It all boils down to believe what you want. If you believe the bible is true and accurate, then for you it is. If you believe the "scientists are correct, again then for you they are. Personally, I believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle but prefer to go along with what the Bible says. The thing that bothers me most is that 6,000 years. Man's years or God's. I guess we'll be given the answers when we pass.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"unlike carbon-14, which is useful only for dating man made objects."

TRH - I think you mis-spoke and know better.

But here goes: Carbon 14 is an unstable isotope, while Carbon 12 is stable.

All LIVING things - not "man-made" , maintain stable ratios of both while alive. When the organism dies, the Carbon 14 degrades at a known "half-life" into Carbon 12, until eventually there is so little as to be unmeasurable , and useless for dating once alive objects.

The farther back in time it goes, the more uncertainty is induced, and the time-line parameters become greater.

A thumb-nail sketch....

But it is still reliable within parameters far beyond 6,000 years.

Last edited by las; 12/02/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 6 of 37 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (10Glocks, 1moredeer, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 163bc, 1Longbow, 40 invisible), 1,999 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,282
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.