Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
While SD is pretty irrelevant, especially with whitetails….I’m betting the 154gr 7.62x39 SPs have decent SD, if one cares. I’m also fairly certain that given the same case size, the larger bore is generally more efficient for burn, velocity vs projectile weight, and barrel length vs velocity….just as a rule of thumb.

agree with all of this, sd is pretty irrelevant for most options as people are choosing adequate formulas from all the known and common options, but it is so important when you push the boundaries of niche and applications, it explains why bell could kill elephants with 6.5 man licker, and boddington saw 700 nitro knock them out, why a 416 only pokes a hole through a goat while a .270 130 softy absolutely flattens it as if hit by lightning, here's then hint...we shoot variable sd bullets, not many understand this or discuss it, there's no calculators yet to show this yet, sad really because we have taken inflight ballistics to milk jugs at 2 miles but we still end up with complete subjective gong shows on the forums when discussing terminal ballistics, it's because we aren't looking at the right things, we aren't looking at the final bullet, we aren't measure finished sd, we aren't measuring travel, we aren't making it possible to compare all these 'safe knowns' to each other and to niche ends to see what may or may not be a decent choice from a terminal perspective...we're going to get into it good here now with mr rimfirecentral

yes the 154 gr would be much better option for the 7.62x39 and then will run with the 150 30-30...the 30-30 with 170's goes to a completely different level, the 30-30 with it's typical minimum of 150's is already nicely set up for deer size game, you have to chase down an unusually heavy for cal option of the x39 to just get to that level, so imo the x39 is more for volume shooting surplus fun weighted while the 30-30 is 100% hunting weighted options so pick your poison

and agree with, seems to be well observed, that you're more efficient with larger bore/heavier bullets grabbing more burn sooner in the tubes...

and whoever said energy is useless figure to that argument, I agree as we currently understand energy, and I've argued it has no place in choosing formula but as we go deeper into this discussion you'll see that I think there will be a great use for the energy figure in the future of terminal ballistics but we have work to do to get there

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 12/02/23.
HR IC

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by NEBHUNTER
Grendel with Barnes 115 Tac Tx

there's a thread on 6.5grendelforums about this bullet, guy tested it at varying impact velocities into gel as we were all drooling this was the magic mono for our slow azz cartridge...but sadly it was not, still way too tough and is only going to open up in the first half of the grendel usable ranges as compared to the 123 eldm/sst and other like cup/cores

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Sako
I really like the 6.5 grendel... Honestly since you are look at a bolt gun, the Howa mini carbon is really lite... would make a great little package.

not bad, I had an early 22" sporter cut down to 18.5", slabbed/fluted the action bolt -3.0 oz, Jefferson hinged bottom (same weight as the factory bottom garbage/mag), and did the stocky's carbon which is a pretty sad cheap carbon with a porous finish, bendy forend, it really cheapens the whole carbon fibre game imo, the stock came in at 18 oz (advertised at 17, maybe that's varmint contour weight?), and bare rifle lands at 4 lb 10.5 oz, a red Ryder BB gun, one hand it like a pistol

but it's a cheap gun, doesn't give the pride of ownership jollies, the barrel and action are ok, the 2-stage trigger is ok on break/adjust but 2-stage feel and cheap stamped safety...cheap, the stock and bottom plastic is Mattel Chinese garbage imo, and the stocky's stock was just lipstick on a pig...single best part of that rifle is the Jefferson hinged bottom metal...I would never do this build again, just money pits, howa...and here's a big kicker, where's the stainless? why other markets not the biggest gun market in the world? at least with a stainless tube etc. one could go down the ultralight sheep build path, timney trigger, something better than stocky's stock and actually maybe end up with one seriously sweet competition to a Kimber lol, and in micro cartridge like grendel to suit....but legacy sports doesn't want to actually do things right, they just want to sell as many cheap money pits as possible, just buy the action I guess, go stainless tube, timney, better than stocky's, and Jefferson...then you'd have a pretty sweet little build...not sure why you can't get that off the shelf, even for more money, Kimber is the closest thing, they do it right...legacy couldn't do it more wrong

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Your Googlefhuqkery is hilarious,you Magnificently STUPID Fhuqk. Hint…………..

why choose the 120 mono for moose vs the 120 ballistic tip stick? are you chicken to get into this?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are in so far above your crossed-eyes and pointy head,that it’s plum fhuqking Amazing. Hint.

Keep Pretending aloud. Hint……….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've got a couple 6.5 grendels and one 6 TAC. I've used the grendel to take a pile of deer, pronghorn, a handful of elk, a couple moose. Most with the 120 gold dot or 123 sst. I recently changed to the 120 m looking for a little more violent expansion. So far so good. The 6 TAC is great, but I built a heavy rifle and cutting and forming is a chore. It outperforms the grendel.

I got into these before the 6 ARC came to be and if I had to do it over, I'd have 6 and 22 ARC. That being said, the grendel has done fine and is my most used rifle by far.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
You are in so far above your crossed-eyes and pointy head,that it’s plum fhuqking Amazing. Hint.

Keep Pretending aloud. Hint……….

I see, well at least you're smart enough to see you aren't as smart as you thought you were and just sticking to insults in hopes the subject will go away. It won't. Maybe you're scrambling to come up with something resembling an argument or answer but I'm betting you'll just carry on this path as you're not ready for this one, I'm sure it's because you've got hundreds of rifles so this discussion is beneath you lol. bock bock bock

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fortunately for you and your ilk,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can “afford” to “contribute”. Hint.

Pardon wares that exist,as you extoll your very WELL founded Insecurities and fill out Hurt Feeler Reports. Hint………..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Regular
Online Confused
Campfire Regular
G
I wonder how many times [bleep] was typed out in 57,000+ posts. Ok, no longer curious, carry on.

Last edited by GoWyo; 12/02/23.

"Damn right it's loaded, it makes a lousy club"
-JW
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Crying Karens will always find reasons to Whine and Wonder. Hint……….

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You must be talking about the do nothing window licker that only shoots animals in the head off the baitpile. LOL. The campfire hard charger.

When all is said and done, 57,000 posts and not a damn thing productive done. HINT

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KenMi
You must be talking about the do nothing window licker that only shoots animals in the head off the baitpile. LOL. The campfire hard charger.

When all is said and done, 57,000 posts and not a damn thing productive done. HINT

You forgot to add LAUGHING.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Vicarious “living” is the extent of her “means” and “abilities”. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My bet was right. I caught him with his pants down on page 3 while he said sd is meaningless and then gave example of 5 moose kills with 5 shots with a 120 gr mono from 7-08 that all exited and when questioned why he didn’t choose 120 ballistic tip he knew they were right around his ankles lol so straight to insults and deflection. I’ve already given the hint as to where this will be headed so he could see the writing on the wall and prepare his answer r counter argument but still just insult and deflect. Who’s better at hinting now? Hint

Anyway stick, go ahead, give us another insult and reason to deflect away from the question and topic you decided to walk into like the god of gods in terminal ballistics. Someone is facking laughing, hint

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your Delusional Drooling Dumbfhuqktitude is hilarious! Hint.

Keep “living” vicariously,as it’s your sole “move”. Hint…………..

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Seek and yer shall receive lol

Good job bud, epic projection btw

This lesson was gonna fry yer brain anyway

Anyone else feel free to take that sidetrack topic on

Otherwise back to which x39 based cartridge wink

Op asked for 200 yard big game hunting. Where the answer is 6.5 Grendel for the win of these 3 choices. Arc makes a sort of close 2nd place.

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
On SD and bullet construction, think the 7.62x39 is in the running IF you use a mono that's designed to work at those speeds, like the Barnes TSX (tested them at 100 yards, expanding nicely, sadly no freezer filling as used a 100gr TTSX last time. Great job). SD stays nice because it doesn't shed any weight.

But...the Grendel is doing that with quite a bit more punch at distance for sure, and more damage. I can dig it.

Really curious about how people have done with the 115gr as even if it cuts the range of an ELD or SST in half thats still 200+ yards.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
lighten up on twiggy, his sister is still in rehab so he has no one to pick his short self up so he can lick the windows of the basement

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 44mc
lighten up on twiggy, his sister is still in rehab so he has no one to pick his short self up so he can lick the windows of the basement

he got kicked out of rehab, just like all the decent forums he tried his same shtick in. LOL.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The problem with trying to get in the weeds promoting SD, is that you can just say: ‘maintains good weight retention’ and that covers it all. Otherwise, FMJs win on all theoretical SD arguments. It’s still about bullet construction and all sorts of other factors…..For everything related, just use ‘weight retention’, and it’ll be sensible. I’ve got 90gr 6.8 gold dots that I’ve seen penetrate further than 120gr SSTs, and it’s because of weight retention vs expansion…..because SD ‘theory’ says the opposite.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

187 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,571 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,504
Posts18,490,610
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.