Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I think they are the best rings, have them on almost all of my rifles, never a problem

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had trouble with a couple of sets. One split on the top strap, the other cracked through the threaded holes in the bottom portion. That was enough for me. Had over a dozen sets in service at one point.

And yes, they were all torqued to spec. But let's just say that they were a little over; does that really make anyone feel better to know that they absolutely need to be treated with kid gloves or else your hunt might be ruined? I like things that keep working even when situations get outside of normal use parameters.

The issues I had were some time ago (10 years or so). Maybe they're better these days? I'm not likely to find out. There's stronger options for most rigs, IMO.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have mentioned all this before when the subject came up, but here it is again:

Started using the same basic rings with the first Ultra Light Arms rifle shot or hunted with in 1989, a .300 Winchester Magnum Model 28--which came with the rings that Melvin designed. They were identical to the present Talley Lightweights, including the type of aluminum,except back then were made by J.B. Holden, the Midwestern company that was better-known for making "see through" rings which allowed the use of iron sights with a scoped rifle.

Holden went out of business a while later, and Melvin and Talley worked out a deal: Talley would make the same rings for Melvin for free, if he also allowed them to make them for other rifle actions. Which is when Talley Lightweight mounts appeared on the market.

During this entire period both I and Eileen used them on a number of ULA rifles, and NULA rifles after Melvin reacquired his company from Colt in the early 1990s. One example of our use was Eileen's first ULA, a .270 Winchester Model 24 she started using as her primary big game rifle in 1991, and kept using for over a decade with the same load, a combination of IMR4350 and 130-grain Nosler Partitions, which the rifle would shoot into about 1-1/2" at 300 yards.

Back then hand-held laser rangefinders hadn't yet appeared on the market, so she sighted-in the rifle 2" high at 100 yards, and killed game out to around 400 by knowing where to hold. Each year, just before hunting season, we'd go to the range and she'd shoot one shot at 100 yards, which always landed within 1/4" or so of 2" high. Then she's go kill stuff--which included all of the basic Montana big game from pronghorns to elk--but she also traveled with the rifle to various other places across the U.S. and Canada. It never changed zero, even after backpack hunts here and bouncing around in an open boat in the Arctic Ocean on a caribou hunt, or riding in various planes, sometimes in rough weather. It finally did lose zero when the scope died, so I put another in the same rings and the rifle kept on working—and retaining zero.

Eileen eventually developed recoil headaches and switched to a NULA in .257 Roberts, which she's used with the same basic rings, by then made by Talley, on game from pronghorns and wild pigs to elk in various places around the U.S. Have also used the Talley Lightweights on all our other ULA/NULA rifles, which now number five, with no problems.

Also have them on half a dozen big game rifles that aren’t ULAs/NULAs that have been hunted considerably, including Eileen’s custom Serengeti Rifles .308, built on a Kimber 84 action, which she’s also used widely from various parts of North America to Africa. Not a single ring has broken in those 34 years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've used between 25 and 30 pairs. I always lap them, and tighten the uppers no more than 20 inch lbs. Never a problem.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LW’s are a Lovely Notion MUCH better in Theory,than Application. The less one does,the “better” they are. Hint.

Pardon actual use and trigger time,doing things that talking about same,can not. GPS coordinates make minimal fhuqks,though in fairness,I get more weather than anyone. Hint……….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BooBear
I think they are the best rings, have them on almost all of my rifles, never a problem

Me too. I don’t lap.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I’ve used two sets, both properly torqued. One on a .308 and one on a .300 wsm. Both cracked. I will never use them again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I’ve used two sets, both properly torqued. One on a .308 and one on a .300 wsm. Both cracked. I will never use them again.

I know your feeling. I used to use Burris scopes and rings. On one rifle both Signature rings broke and eventually all the Burris scopes failed. So, I don't use Burris anymore.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Big Stick
LW’s are a Lovely Notion MUCH better in Theory,than Application. The less one does,the “better” they are. Hint.

Pardon actual use and trigger time,doing things that talking about same,can not. GPS coordinates make minimal fhuqks,though in fairness,I get more weather than anyone. Hint……….

Like a broken record.

Does he ever shut up?

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I told you, Pandora’s box. Lol

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Using them for the first time on a light weight 6.5 with just under 750 rounds thru it. No issues.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pandora doesn’t shoot and Hurt Feeler Reports don’t “bolster” Metallurgy. Pardon wares that exist and the use of same. Hint………….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters

Like a broken record.

Does he ever shut up?

Nope. The only shooting trophy he has ever received is for shooting 57,000 rounds of pure bull$hit. HINT

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I need some scope bases and mounts for a Browning BAR in 270. I have a set of Talley aluminum base/ring combos already in my toolbox that will fit. Are they good-to-go or should I go with steel?

I have not had any of the problems with breakage others report experiencing. Mostly I have used them on lighter kicking rifles and/or rifles with fairly light scopes. Probably the heaviest kicker / heaviest scope was a Leupold 3.5-10X 40mm obj/1" tube on a Kimber Montana .280 AI. That bastard would hit me in the eyebrow now and then so it was not trivial recoil though I'm sure others have put them through a lot worse.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Like a broken record.

Does he ever shut up?
It appears that a certain Little Twig must be offering his verbal diarrhea of alcoholic thoughts. Just put the little gnome on ignore and don't take his bait and you'll be much happier.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I need some scope bases and mounts for a Browning BAR in 270. I have a set of Talley aluminum base/ring combos already in my toolbox that will fit. Are they good-to-go or should I go with steel?

I have not had any of the problems with breakage others report experiencing. Mostly I have used them on lighter kicking rifles and/or rifles with fairly light scopes. Probably the heaviest kicker / heaviest scope was a Leupold 3.5-10X 40mm obj/1" tube on a Kimber Montana .280 AI. That bastard would hit me in the eyebrow now and then so it was not trivial recoil though I'm sure others have put them through a lot worse.

Tom
The scope I'm mounting is a Swaro Z3 3-9x36, which is very lightweight, so I should be good in that regards.

S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Two pairs on separate 30-06's. One cracked, the other went in the bin and was replaced.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Imaginary Pretend Ignore is very “powerful” stuff,just ask KenBitchAgain. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Like a broken record.

Does he ever shut up?
It appears that a certain Little Twig must be offering his verbal diarrhea of alcoholic thoughts. Just put the little gnome on ignore and don't take his bait and you'll be much happier.

Don’t be an idiot. At least 4 other poster’s replies confirm Stick’s experience

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Tom

My rifles have big cases. One is a .338 RUM necked to 6.5mm and the other is a .338 RUM necked to 7mm. Both have Pierce titanium actions and carbon fiber barrels. The scope on the first one is a Leupold VX-6 4-24X52. The other is a March 2 1/2-25X52. Both scopes are about twenty-four or twenty-five ounces. Both have titanium brakes. So they are big kickers without hurting my shoulder. The other rifle I have is a Weatherby six lug untralight with a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. I think it is a couple ounces lighter. It's case is a 7 Rem Mag with the belt turned off and the rim turned down to fit the little action. It definitely kicks more than the others because of the 198 grain bullet.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,555
Posts18,491,722
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.