Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I've been using a small Gerber folder which is a clip point with a 2 3/4" blade to start the process at the hind quarters. I switch to other knives as I pull the hide down but this is probably the one thing that I feel I could improve at.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
For skinning just about any knife will do. If I'm not skinning them warm I'll use an air compressor to loosen the skin from the meat before hanging them. Done right the hide basically falls off if it's not frozen.

For caping I use a specialty hook bill knife, a scalpel and a flat bladed screwdriver to loosen the skin around the burr and the tear glands at the base of the eyes. I worked for a taxidermist while in college and after and have caped several hundred head over the years for mounting.

hook knife

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I should add that I don't skin them warm. They usually hang for at least a few days and any large deer I hang in my buddies walk in cooler for a week or two. Does a compressor work on deer that have dried out a bit?

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gerber-E...ty-Razor-Pocket-Knife-with-Clip/46488887

Put a roofer hookbill utility blade in this little knife and lay that on the hide, apply a little pressure, and pull the knife and the hide will split like it has a zipper. Great for all the cuts you need to make that start on the outside of the hide without dulling your good knife blade. Cutting down the long dorsal cut, down the legs, etc. is easy peasy with this little tool. I do the gutless debone and quarter job in the field and pack the usable meat out. I toss this little folder in the kill kit and use it on every deer and hog I kill.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bill_N
I should add that I don't skin them warm. They usually hang for at least a few days and any large deer I hang in my buddies walk in cooler for a week or two. Does a compressor work on deer that have dried out a bit?
Honestly IDK (a real shock here on the fire where everyone knows everything about everything, but...). I would think it would depend on how much air pressure you had Bill. Check out some of the videos on YT. BTW - the added bonus is if people don't know you used a compressor they start wondering how you consistently are shooting what looks like 200+ lb deer every year. grin

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B2

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Hahaha I’ll check out some videos..,

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
This, my boy made it

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been using these for field dressing and skinning.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like to cape with a havalon.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I like to cape with a havalon.

This

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If they are easy to get to I use a Toyota Tacoma for skinning. It's a hoot. I seldom cape, but if I do I will use Havalon.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have killed 4 so far this year. I skin then cut the backstraps and legs off at the joints. Then gut to get the heart and inner loins. I used a case trapper on 3 of them and a case finn on the last one. I don't cape.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I like a Cold Steel Finnbear these days. They are a good product for the price and are cheap enough it doesn’t bother me if one gets left at camp or ends up in someone else’s gear.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

I skin with anything sharp and usually keep three Carbon Moras super sharp in the skinning shed to split elk necks of rutting bulls. If you know, you know. We cape everything. We obviously try to kill animals that are mountable, but we also sell or trade the other capes to the taxidermist. These are the two knives I cape with most. A custom design of my own. I see so many knives that claim to be caping knives but are more skinning knives. For peeling faces you don’t need more than a 1” of cutting edge. I hold the knife like a pencil when I’m doing eyes. The other knife is a havalon obviously. A fellow sheep and goat guide from AK gave me that knife after I had fought so hard for years to stay away from scalpel knives. He said I would fall in love with it. I don’t love them but I do see they’re value and utility, especially when you have three bulls to cape at 10:00 o’clock at night!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Spyderco Bill Moran drop point.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MickinColo
Been using these for field dressing and skinning.

I've got a Bucklite gut-hook knife similar to those (but definitely a cheaper version) and I'll be damned if I can get the gut hook to work worth a shizzle. Any pointers? Maybe I should I sharpen the gut hook razor sharp, but how?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Anything high carbon and thin.
Victorinox kitchen knives can be made into razors and they sharpen quick and hold a good edge

Their boning knives are bad azz.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by NMpistolero

I skin with anything sharp and usually keep three Carbon Moras super sharp in the skinning shed to split elk necks of rutting bulls. If you know, you know. We cape everything. We obviously try to kill animals that are mountable, but we also sell or trade the other capes to the taxidermist. These are the two knives I cape with most. A custom design of my own. I see so many knives that claim to be caping knives but are more skinning knives. For peeling faces you don’t need more than a 1” of cutting edge. I hold the knife like a pencil when I’m doing eyes. The other knife is a havalon obviously. A fellow sheep and goat guide from AK gave me that knife after I had fought so hard for years to stay away from scalpel knives. He said I would fall in love with it. I don’t love them but I do see they’re value and utility, especially when you have three bulls to cape at 10:00 o’clock at night!

I try to stay away from the avalon and outdoor edge disposable stuff, but dam they're sharp lol. Almost too sharp. You slip with one of those in the dark on the mountain and let's just say it could get a little interesting. Those dudes are the meaning of scary sharp.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Spyderco Bill Moran drop point.
I have one of these that I use often.

But I used a Cold Steel Master Hunter to quarter my bull elk last month.

For skinning deer I mostly use a Kershaw disposable blade knife.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I skinned a 188 lb buck tonight and cut him up with a buck 110(plastic handle). It stayed sharp for the entire job.......In the past I've skinned-gutted-cut up many deer with a good 3 blade pocket knife. Now I like the 2 blade folding hunters. I use a Queen, a Case, a Boker(German) and a couple of Old Timers.......For deboning and cutting the meat up. Nothing beats a Rapala Fillet knife(I use 2).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (280rem_cm, 12344mag, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 17 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,963
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.