Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 37 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 36 37
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by DBT
Genesis specifies literal days, the morning and evening of the first day, second day, etc. Written at a time when people had no idea of the sheer scope and scale of the universe.
Days passed between his commands to nature. There's no reason to assume that days passed between nature obeying his commands.

There's nothing false, for example, about the statement: "On Monday, March 3rd, 1943, General Richards commanded the fort be constructed, and it was so, and he saw that it was good," even if construction wasn't complete for a month. Heck, it's the case even if construction didn't start for a month, it's still a perfectly true statement from our perspective in the year 2023. There's nothing in the statement that grammatically requires that the fort was completed on March 3rd.

The above statement could go on and read that the next day, "On March 4th, 1943, General Richards commanded that his third brigade take Strasbourg, and it was so, and he saw that it was good." Again, the statement isn't an assertion that on March 4th the city was actually taken. It could have been days or weeks later, but from our perspective in 2023, it's a perfectly correct statement, and doesn't even force the conclusion that it occurred after the fort was constructed.

All we know from the above two statements (from our perspective in 2023) are the dates on which the two commands were issued, and the sequence of the two commands. Information about when they were accomplished isn't contained in them, just that at some point they were.

Literal days are specified, morning and evening of each day of Creation, morning and evening of the first day, the morning and evening of the second etcetera, including a list of generations from Adam, Bishop Ussher's calculations and so on....

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Literal days are specified, morning and evening of each day of Creation, morning and evening of the first day, the morning and evening of the second, etc.,
My argument is unscathed by that. Perhaps you didn't understand what I said.
... including a list of generations from Adam.
While Adam was the first man (by God's reckoning), Genesis does not state that he was the first member of his (our) zoological species. "Forming him from the mud" is shorthand allegory for the natural processes that led to his coming into existence. It had already been stated, after all, that God commanded the waters to bring forth all the moving creatures that have life. That's an all inclusive statement. Adam was a moving creature that had life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look, underneath the shaman's robes and the funny headdress, I'm about as Christian as they come.

Still, I can walk my own farm and see the effect that glaciers had. If you tell me the Earth is 4 billion or 14 billion years old, I'll listen. A lot of what God does takes time.

There is a hole in the ground at my salt lick. I've been pouring in bags of rock salt every year for the deer. The deer have created quite a crater, carrying of bits of soil in their gut. I was bored one day and tried to calculate how long it would take them to dig a cellar and how much salt it would take. My head started to hurt.

On the other hand, there's a cave on the shores of Lake Victoria-- a monstrous thing. It has no water running into it, so they know it wasn't formed like normal karst. They figure it was the elephants, for God-knows-how-long going to a huge salt lick. Given how fast it takes, those elephants have been working on it probably longer than there have been elephants.

Do I believe the Bible? Yes, and in the case of Genesis, I believe at some time primordial a bunch of sheep herders got the lowdown from on High in the terms they understood and did their best to remember it. I believe that Moses got the straight dope from God in the best terms he could understand. I believe that Christ came to the world and gave us the straight dope as best as we could understand. You can throw Paul in there. I think he was one of the best examples of how God sends folks out to explain things.

None of these revelations told me anything about how to fix a computer or reload for 30-06, and I don't rely on the Bible for this info as a result. I also don't take a sheep herder's word on things like Geology, Astronomy, or Cosmology.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by shaman
Look, underneath the shaman's robes and the funny headdress, I'm about as Christian as they come.

Still, I can walk my own farm and see the effect that glaciers had. If you tell me the Earth is 4 billion or 14 billion years old, I'll listen. A lot of what God does takes time.

There is a hole in the ground at my salt lick. I've been pouring in bags of rock salt every year for the deer. The deer have created quite a crater, carrying of bits of soil in their gut. I was bored one day and tried to calculate how long it would take them to dig a cellar and how much salt it would take. My head started to hurt.

On the other hand, there's a cave on the shores of Lake Victoria-- a monstrous thing. It has no water running into it, so they know it wasn't formed like normal karst. They figure it was the elephants, for God-knows-how-long going to a huge salt lick. Given how fast it takes, those elephants have been working on it probably longer than there have been elephants.

Do I believe the Bible? Yes, and in the case of Genesis, I believe at some time primordial a bunch of sheep herders got the lowdown from on High in the terms they understood and did their best to remember it. I believe that Moses got the straight dope from God in the best terms he could understand. I believe that Christ came to the world and gave us the straight dope as best as we could understand. You can throw Paul in there. I think he was one of the best examples of how God sends folks out to explain things.

None of these revelations told me anything about how to fix a computer or reload for 30-06, and I don't rely on the Bible for this info as a result. I also don't take a sheep herder's word on things like Geology, Astronomy, or Cosmology.
Very well said.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Ringman
There is no faith required to realize no one knows how much was there in the beginning. And no one knows what happened during the millions of years while it decays.

You keep repeating this falsehood which you would not believe if you had completed high school math unless some religious quack claiming to be a scientist had not hammered it into your head.

In fact, if you know (a) the percentage of the original isotope and the percentage of final isotope in a given sample and (b) you measure the rate of decay, it is simple to calculate the original age before decay.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Very well said.

Thanks. I have close family that hold to a young/flat earth based on purely Biblical interpretation. One merely has to go for a ride in a modern jet to see the curvature of the earth, but somehow that isn't good enough. I can take them to parts of their own county and show them formations that took hundreds of thousands of years to create, but they blame the Flood.

Years ago, I had a neighbor who came by to see what I was doing out in the driveway. I had my 8 inch Dobsonian out and I was observing the Andromeda Galaxy. He was fascinated. I offered him a peek, but he declined. He said his Bible was enough and didn't want to confuse things. This was a mid-level exec with MCI corp and was lead on the P&G account. Yikes.

Me? I used to sit on a cliff overlooking the Mill Creek in Cincinnati. It's an extension of the Licking River and in times past it ran the other way and eventually used to dump into the Ohio when it ran up the Little Miami, crossed over to the Great Miami well north of Cincinnati and ran down what is now the Great Miami. The below-ground aquifers are still there. To me the carving of river channels over thousands of years is a grand spectacle of God's influence in the world.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
I saw somewhere that RayLene has admitted to being diagnosed as suffering from the Dunning/Kruger effect.

Poor girl, it must be hard to go through life never understanding the difference between fact and fiction, reality and myth. Always feeling right, yet left with a nagging sense of grief and frustration when her beliefs are challenged.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
There is no faith required to realize no one knows how much was there in the beginning. And no one knows what happened during the millions of years while it decays.

You keep repeating this falsehood which you would not believe if you had completed high school math unless some religious quack claiming to be a scientist had not hammered it into your head.

In fact, if you know (a) the percentage of the original isotope and the percentage of final isotope in a given sample and (b) you measure the rate of decay, it is simple to calculate the original age before decay.

It was a cute girl that turned him YEC.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Genesis specifies literal days, the morning and evening of the first day, second day, etc. Written at a time when people had no idea of the sheer scope and scale of the universe.
Days passed between his commands to nature. There's no reason to assume that days passed between nature obeying his commands.

There's nothing false, for example, about the statement: "On Monday, March 3rd, 1943, General Richards commanded the fort be constructed, and it was so, and he saw that it was good," even if construction wasn't complete for a month. Heck, it's the case even if construction didn't start for a month, it's still a perfectly true statement from our perspective in the year 2023. There's nothing in the statement that grammatically requires that the fort was completed on March 3rd.

The above statement could go on and read that the next day, "On March 4th, 1943, General Richards commanded that his third brigade take Strasbourg, and it was so, and he saw that it was good." Again, the statement isn't an assertion that on March 4th the city was actually taken. It could have been days or weeks later, but from our perspective in 2023, it's a perfectly correct statement, and doesn't even force the conclusion that it occurred after the fort was constructed.

All we know from the above two statements (from our perspective in 2023) are the dates on which the two commands were issued, and the sequence of the two commands. Information about when they were accomplished isn't contained in them, just that at some point they were.

Yu just can't get it. God, Himself, wrote with His finger on stone He rested on the seventh day. He defined days in the first chapter of the Bible. Only someone who wants to add to God's Word distorts the facts. Saint Peter tells us those who distort God's Word distort it to their own destruction.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
I am fascinated so many here believe in Jesus' Blood but don't believe His Word.
I believe in Jesus’ Blood, and I believe His Word. Wholeheartedly. But I absolutely and unequivocally disagree with your interpretation of His Word.

Where's the interpretation? Words mean things. When put in sentences they even mean more.

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

You think the Word of God made flesh had limited understanding? He created everything, including your brain. You insult Him.

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yu just can't get it. God, Himself, wrote with His finger on stone He rested on the seventh day. He defined days in the first chapter of the Bible.
Another one who is missing the point. General Richards gave two commands on two succeeding days. He could have given six commands on six succeeding days, then rested on the seventh day. But the commands may have taken weeks or months to be fully carried out. From our perspective, in the year 2023, reading the history of his commands, and that they were carried out, and that he saw that they were good, there's no grammatical reason to assume they were fully carried out on the days the commands were issued.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

You think the Word of God made flesh had limited understanding? He created everything, including your brain. You insult Him.

You are a smooth brain that works for Satan.

False prophet!

I am MAGA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by antlers
I am fascinated so many here believe in Jesus' Blood but don't believe His Word.
I believe in Jesus’ Blood, and I believe His Word. Wholeheartedly. But I absolutely and unequivocally disagree with your interpretation of His Word.

Where's the interpretation? Words mean things. When put in sentences they even mean more.

Words are the source of misunderstandings.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DBT

Yu just can't get it. God, Himself, wrote with His finger on stone He rested on the seventh day. He defined days in the first chapter of the Bible. Only someone who wants to add to God's Word distorts the facts. Saint Peter tells us those who distort God's Word distort it to their own destruction.

Anyone who gives any credence to your bullshit does so to their own destruction.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

Well just who says that God wrote thusly? Some ignorant illiterate stone age goat herder? Some ignorant high-school dropout who thinks everything that goat herders said is peachy keen? Some dark ages Catholic bishops who decided what should be included in their Bible in between burning people at the stake?

Who are you, Ringman, to claim that you know what God did?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is the Bible fact or fiction?

living the good life every day
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, so far this is the Fire's version of a fairly reasonable discussion. I hope it stays that way. It is quite evident we each have our own beliefs and understanding of how/when the earth was formed, how we believe in God and Jesus, and what the bible contributes to these ideals. The diversity of thought on the details seems to be a result of our teachings by different sources, which is understandable. I know very intelligent people who cling to the belief that the earth is 6000 years old by their bible teachings and I would never tell them to their faces I believe they are foolish. I also know a number of very accomplished engineers in several fields and almost every one of them has come to the conclusion that the universe is far too orderly and mathematically correct for the formation to be an accident- there has to be an intelligent being behind it. So, what does that mean? If there was intelligent design behind the formation of the universe- a being most of us call God- then there was also as part of the design the forming of all the planets, moons, black holes, etc... that make up the universe. I don't believe that happened in 7 days- at least not in our human 7 days as we understand them. As it has been said in the bible- God's time is as a blink of the eye. We may not understand His time any more than a worm understands us, so arguing about it is as a breath in the wind...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by champlain_islander

Well, that is a good question. There is a good amount of fact in the bible- many geographical locations and descriptions are accurate enough that places and buildings have been located and verified. Also, the listing of the families in the old testament is a historical reference to which the accuracy can and has been traced for lineage.

Since the Bible was put together some time after Jesus' time, and relies on stories which have been told and retold for centuries and interpreted by different sects of the Christian faithful it can't be relied on substantially to be factual in all matters. Also, due to the many interpretations by different sects it was a great battle to decide which interpretations were include in the final text and which were discarded. Also, since much of the bible is formed as story telling to teach in parables, the meaning is more spiritual than factual and must be interpreted by the faithful to gain meaning IMO...

This particular discussion could go on for quite some time...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Parts are fact, and parts are allegory. It's not generally hard to differentiate.

Page 13 of 37 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

452 members (17CalFan, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 38 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,306
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.