Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Back in 1971, I was hunting from a little ground blind with my Dad. Our location overlooked the edge of a harvested corn field, but one corner had tall grass that butted up to the forest. Shortly after dawn, a big doe appeared in the tall grass and Dad fired once with his 300 Savage rifle. The deer bounded away but collapsed after a run about the distance of a big school bus. While Dad was dressing the doe, we heard something thrashing around in the tall grass. "Go see to it", Dad told me. I found another doe with a big chuck of bone and meat missing from her back. Dad's heavy bullet had penetrated the first doe and struck the second which was obscured at the time. Dad finished it off. We dressed this deer as well and hung it in a tree. Dad called the Warden when we got home. After reviewing the kill site, the friendly Warden took the second deer but did not issue a ticket. - Sherwood.[/size][size:20pt]

Last edited by Sherwood; 12/03/23. Reason: spelling fixed

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Because that is how it’s supposed to work.

The way life should be.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Did you guys learn anything from it? Don’t call the warden, he took your other deer!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Classic example of not knowing what's behind your target.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
1971, huh?

Lots has changed since then.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cool story!

I’d imagine there are others pretty similar. Hunt enough and things happen. He did the right thing in my book.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Now they’d take your truck, you’d lose your job and go to jail because you couldn’t afford a second mortgage to pay the fine.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Years ago I killed 2 longbeards in a pasture with 1 shot.....birds too close together and a long shot and pattern opened up and dropped both of them. It was at first light and I jumped up and ran to the birds...grabbed them up and take off running to my truck. Throw them in the bed and go home. Called the birds in couple days apart....they ate real good.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Know of a guy that did a non-resident Nevada elk hunt with a buddy's help, and they had a wonderful time bagging a huge bull. Didn't see or have any other hunters interfere with their spot and stalk efforts or crowd in for space. At every fuel and grub stop along the way, the public marveled at their obvious success openly displayed in the back of the pickup. When they made it home, a review of reporting logistics etc revealed they had been at it a week before the season opened.

They turned things in with the result being elk seizure. The agency wanted to hang them higher, but a reasonable judge's opinion was that since they had sacrificed themselves when they had made it free and clear, seizure was enough.

Some folks are not the brightest, however. Neighbor is a warden and made a pinch this fall when the sport electronically reported his kill within 5-minutes of purchasing his online tag. Given that all the web stuff is time stamped, it's pretty easy to unknowingly hang ourselves.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/05/23.

1Minute
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've shot deer in Ohio a couple times within Couple hours of buying the tag.

Otc/online tag sales any time of the year. Doesn't make sense to buy one until I need it.

So when I fill one, I buy the next one. And have filled it pretty quickly after that.

Never got a call or questioned. Never did it five minutes later though either.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I've shot deer in Ohio a couple times within Couple hours of buying the tag.

Otc/online tag sales any time of the year. Doesn't make sense to buy one until I need it.

So when I fill one, I buy the next one. And have filled it pretty quickly after that.

Never got a call or questioned. Never did it five minutes later though either.

-Jake
They would get all excited if you did.

Some folks put more value on an animals life than they do a humans life.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
2 deer with 1 bullet happens a lot, especially gang hunting putting on drives and such.

I witnessed it just a couple yrs back. Watching a drive I wasn't a part of, and watched 5 deer run into a depression in a field where I couldn't see them anymore. A guy I could see, shot. 4 deer ran out of the depression and ran across the field maybe 200 yds and went into a corner of the woods bordering the field.

From where I was I could see the last deer was starting to lag behind just a bit before they went in the woods and didn't look right. I got in my truck and drove down to the guy that shot. Asked if he shot more than once, he said nope. I told him that last deer didn't look right before they went in the woods. He couldn't see them from his vantage point when they ran in. I took him up to where they ran in, and there she lay 40 yds inside the woods.

He was using a 300 savage and the bullet just entered enough on that deer somewhere behind the deer he shot, to get 1 lung.

The deer got used same as the tagged one. It happens.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Never willingly involve the man in your life.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by justin10mm

great advice!

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Words to live by.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Now they’d take your truck, you’d lose your job and go to jail because you couldn’t afford a second mortgage to pay the fine.

Pretty much sums it up for most game wardens.
I've never been written up,but had a run in with one. I was on one of my farms during our general rifle. I seen a pile of does on one of our fields. I parked the truck in the ditch. Grabbed my 6.5x300 and a backpack for a rest. I hopped the fence walked out in my field about 75 yards. And got set up for the shot. It was like 600 and some change. By the way, I knew the warden was watching me. I took the shot and that dude pulled up on me like I just shot and robbed somebody. He wanted to know who's land that was a d why I was using aid of a vehicle and taking shots that far, ya ya ya. When I explained to him that was one of my quarters and told him I knew he was watching and could provide evidence of where the shot was taken, he still didn't care. He was reaching and grabbing for everything he could. They try to get you to incriminate yourself. I told him to basically shove it and pound sand. Literally have no respect for our wardens around here. I didn't receive any ticket or anything, just watched a guy act like an idiot. Some wardens are great dudes and do their job great, some get their rocks off by doing their job a little too good. I mean when it comes down to it, it's normally just you two out there and his word against yours.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Go after the spotlighters and people who kill stuff out of season. Leave tax paying, law abiding, landowners the hell alone.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Not illegal but my very first deer (plural) I shot at 9yo with one shot out of a single shot 20ga with 00. Had a doe and knothead come in to a crabapple tree about 30 yards away. Pulled the trigger on the doe, both fell deader than hell. Must have been quite the spread.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Hunted with a guy many years ago (before cell phones). I was hunting a couple hundred yards away from him and I only heard one shot. Meeting up after dark he swore he shot a giant but couldn't find anything. We assembled a crew and went back to look again. The first deer we found was a small spike shot in the side of the head. After many laughs by all of us except him he still swore he shot a big buck. After looking further another blood trial was discovered and lead us to a very fine 9 pt for our area. So weird things do happen. To this day he will swear he never saw the smaller buck

Hook and Book, Shoot and Scoot

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,438
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.