Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
TC used to have a 1x rifle scope for such regulations.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009749095

Might have been made by Simmons ( ugh ).

Last edited by hookeye; 12/03/23.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Holosun 407c would be ideal, just need a front weaver single slot base and the picatinny mount for the holosun and I was banging 10” gongs at 400 with a Grendel bit long ago with 2’ to 30” hold over. 300 was a piece of cake, fist size groups holding bottom of dot on top of gong. You make a decal up for your 25 yard holds out to 400 and all set. They are a different league than irons as you can see underneath the dot which allows easier hold overs. No batteries required solar. Would be perfect for the muzzie

Forgot to add the 2 moa dot on rifle eye relief is more like 3.8 moa. Means if it fits in kill zone pull trigger, if not then start moving up.

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 12/03/23.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Never used a scope on a muzzleloader, back in the day PA only had a Primitive Muzzleloader season, iron sights and flintlocks

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This brings up the whole technology discussion. NM went scope less ML’s this year. I hunt ML quite a bit and don’t like it, but I’ll make it work. (Never shot anything past 200 anyways).

Just in my small circle, I know of 3 animals killed with archery equipment at 70+ yards. Is that still “primitive”? With range finders, sliders, mechanical broad heads, etc., archery hunters have become much more proficient. Where is that line?

In NM, if a bull survives the new scope less ML season, he could be shot the very next weekend at 700+ by a rifle hunter with a range finder, turrets, purpose built rifle etc. Obviously season dates play a factor, but some of the first elk rifle hunts still had bulls being pretty vocal this year.

Where is the line for archery and rifle before technology has to be addressed or tag numbers have to be cut?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Apparently The vortex spitfire AR is set up with a dial system that maybe could work. But it would sit high on most guns.

Both the Nikon 1x and vortex 1x are discontinued.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
"Yeah, let's just make it easier for hunters to wound an animal that they are going to shoot at anyway". WTF

It's only been maybe three or four years that Utah has allowed scopes other than 1x on muzzleloaders. Smokeless muzzleloaders are also new there.

You are wrong on one point.......smokeless muzzleloaders have never been allowed in Utah. I had to buy $150 a pound Blackhorn last year so that my hi powered Leupold scope could fail on the last day of the hunt

Thanks. I haven't kept up 100% but for some reason thought they allowed smokeless when they allowed scopes with magnification, looks like I was wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[
"Yeah, let's just make it easier for hunters to wound an animal that they are going to shoot at anyway". WTF

For several decades PAGC did exactly that.
Mandating open, iron sights, and round balls.

The flintlock part I don’t mind, enjoy it actually, it’s a real primitive season.

There is nothing sporting about using inferior sights or less effective ammo. Simply using fiber optics and any kind of modern bullet has improved our results.
Less tracking, rarely not finding the deer.

SLM,
“Where is that line"
Where in the hell is it?

Bow hunters all puffed up about their sport,
Buying a new$1200 bow every year because it gives some advantage. Outfitting it with every bit of new tech, to gain advantage. Then talking all about their prowess with said “primitive” weapon.

In the next breath, he is going to blast crossbows because “these crossbows make it too easy”!

Tech has improved crossbows, but the design is
Centuries old. They are improved from old designs by using……compound bow technology.

DGAS how a guy hunts,until he starts running his mouth and puffing up. Or shows his hypocrisy.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 12/04/23.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Good. A ML is supposed to be a primitive weapon. Fine rule!

I happen to agree with this.....even though I own and sometimes hunt with a scoped inline black powder rifle.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MickinColo
Just use iron sights. I think that would be pretty easy.
That would keep many older hunters out of the game - due to eyesight.
A 1X scope, or non-magnifying optic should suffice, as far as the original intent.

IOW - "That's easy for YOU to say!" laugh

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What was the policy reason again?

The way life should be.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Wouldnt hurt my feelings if they went to flintlock with iron sights only

LMAO. what are your thoughts on bow hunting?

Originally Posted by mark shubert
That would keep many older hunters out of the game - due to eyesight. laugh

Sucks gettin old. Primitive season is just that. If you cant use the required equipment, find a different hunt

Last edited by mud_bogger; 12/04/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Although I cannot use open sights anymore, I am glad that they are doing this. Muzzle loaders have gotten to the point that they are nothing but a single-shot rifle with longer range capabilities. I started muzzle loading in NM many years ago, before the advent of in-line rifles, sabots, and scopes. It was a true muzzle loader, primitive-style hunt. I now use an in-line rifle with a scope, because I can't shoot open sights well anyway and they are legal. The new technology has destroyed the essence of a primitive hunt, though. All anyone wants to do, is extend their shooting range. My hammer guns lay idle.

That being said, the 1x scope is a pos. To have the same view as without a scope, it needs to be a 1.5 at least. 1x is a tunnel view pos, in my opinion-I tried a couple different ones. If I had to go that route, it would be a red dot, most likely.

Technology has messed up other stuff, too, like fishing.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by harrierwood
Apparently The vortex spitfire AR is set up with a dial system that maybe could work. But it would sit high on most guns.

Both the Nikon 1x and vortex 1x are discontinued.

Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by MickinColo
Just use iron sights. I think that would be pretty easy.
That would keep many older hunters out of the game - due to eyesight.
A 1X scope, or non-magnifying optic should suffice, as far as the original intent.

IOW - "That's easy for YOU to say!" laugh

eBay <100.00 and used one on a handgun and muzzle loader for 35 years now. Called a Tasco pro point red dot. 1x mounts just like a scope.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My question is how does what somebody else uses mess it up for you? If you don't like scopes, don't use one. It takes a fragile person to be upset at others' equipment choices.

If it is a matter of controlling how much game is made, restrict the number of tags issued. But they would rather sell more tags and take in that cash and do other things to lower success rate.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Good. A ML is supposed to be a primitive weapon. Fine rule!

It's been that way in Oregon for ever. Guys that use these, should be familiar with iron sights anyway. Some guys in Oregon chose muzzle loader season because they run into more bulls during the rut. The season is also much longer than the regular rifle season. The tags are also easier to get in the controlled hunt areas. I used to kill many a jackrabbit with muzzle loaders out in the desert. Some of these guys need to quit their biotching and get out and practice more.
You need to read the synopsis. Only one elk hunt durning the rut. Cow elk on private land in the Elkhorns. Easier to draw no, longer time to hunt no. Just saying.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
[

The flintlock part I don’t mind, enjoy it actually, it’s a real primitive season.

There is nothing sporting about using inferior sights or less effective ammo. Simply using fiber optics and any kind of modern bullet has improved our results.

SLM,
“Where is that line"
Where in the hell is it?

Buying a new$1200 bow every year because it gives some advantage. Outfitting it with every bit of new tech, to gain advantage. Then talking all about their prowess with said “primitive” weapon.

In the next breath, he is going to blast crossbows because “these crossbows make it too easy”!

Centuries old. They are improved from old designs by using……compound bow technology.

DGAS how a guy hunts,until he starts running his mouth and puffing up. Or shows his hypocrisy.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
[

SLM,
“Where is that line"
Where in the hell is it?

Uh, ok, a modern bow can shoot 80-100 yards. So what. You don’t recognize the difference in lethality and the ethical conundrum created by a muzzleloader that can shoot 7-800 yards? Ok. You obviously don’t bow hunt.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 12/04/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by drop_point
My question is how does what somebody else uses mess it up for you? If you don't like scopes, don't use one. It takes a fragile person to be upset at others' equipment choices.

If it is a matter of controlling how much game is made, restrict the number of tags issued. But they would rather sell more tags and take in that cash and do other things to lower success rate.
You are missing a giant point… opportunity! Cutting tags to reach harvest objectives kills opportunity and draw odds. When they are so bad already, doing so just makes it worse. We want to be able to hunt! So the practical solution is to reduce lethality by limiting the weapon! Which was supposed to be limited in the first place.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 12/04/23.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I don't buy the older people and eye sight excuse. I'm73 and have been wearing glasses, since age 15. Glasses or contacts corrected the vision problems. Everyone is just looking for an advantage, that the primitive season was not intended to accommodate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heym06
Everyone is just looking for an advantage, that the primitive season was not intended to accommodate.

\
It's no different from anything else that man is engaged in, he is always looking for an advantage. Give him an inch and he will take a mile. While I do believe that as a hunter you are obligated to dispatch your prey in the quickest and most humane possible.......and there is most certainly an argument for allowing a scope sight on a rifle in order to more precisely place your shot.......the term "primitive weapon" should mean just that.

I started out bow hunting in the 1960's with a recurve bow and wooden arrows, which was the standard outfit at the time. To take a deer with such a setup was indeed quite a feat. It wasn't long before bows had progressed into compounds, complete with sights which pretty much took all the guesswork out of hitting the target. Today's archery deer hunters are not using a weapon that is "primitive" by any stretch of the definition of the word.

It is also the same way with the muzzle loaders. My first one was a Hawken style, which was a huge improvement over the Kentucky style muzzle loaders that were mostly being used. Within a few short years, the open sighted Kentucky and Hawken styles were a thing of the past, with everyone wanting a synthetic stocked inline, with a scope, capable of accuracy that far exceeded that of the earlier rifle.

But, it's not just the bows and the rifles that have become modernized, it's all the other equipment that goes along with them. Arrows, broadheads, powder, bullets, primers...........you name it, it's nothing like it was when the states set up the primitive weapon seasons. However, by the same token, I no longer hunt deer with an open sighted military surplus rifle as I did when I started deer hunting in 1963. The equipment I use today is a far cry from what it was when I started back then. My gun is better, my clothes are warmer, I use trail cameras, I hunt out of a nice dry and warm shooting house, and I have the opportunity to hunt for more than the original 3 day season.

Yep, leave it to man, and he'll figure out a way to make it easier to do something, and that includes killing a deer.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,828
Posts18,496,595
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.