Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
G23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Second the Filson Tin chaps. They really stand behind their products with a lifetime warranty. I wore the bottoms raggad on a pair of chaps from pheasant hunting. Sent them in to Filson and received a brand new pair with no questions asked.

G23

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Try Lion Country Supply up in Pennsylvania. Super good folks and great products.

+1.
Great company.
Quality products.
Fast shipping.

+2

They’re a great company to buy from. They replaced a LCS branded pigeon launcher remote for me that went bad outside of the warranty.

I like nylon faced. Waxed canvas looks better IMO especially overtime. Nylon is lighter, and zero maintenance.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Coon hunting supply store like Nitelite will have briar clothes. Most now are solid nylon. Dad used to wear some that were thick waxed canvas from Boatman's. He could walk through blackberry bushes and never get a scratch

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Gamehides and they work well in greenbriars, devils walking sticks, and blackberries.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Stone Creek or Dan’s. Stone Creek actually had some of the OG Wick’s material and plaid liner material for a while. Not sure if they still have that.

All the dog hunters in Ga and SC wear these or something very similar. Can’t be beat in the briars.

Hardin284
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have Dan's chaps and an old wick hunting vest. Both still going strong.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hardin284
Stone Creek or Dan’s. Stone Creek actually had some of the OG Wick’s material and plaid liner material for a while. Not sure if they still have that.

All the dog hunters in Ga and SC wear these or something very similar. Can’t be beat in the briars.
Yeah, all the rest of my hunting crew wear Dan's so I guess I may as well get me some so that they don't give me crap when I get tangled up in the cat-briars (blackberry briars).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Cooldry rain bottoms.
The nastiest of stuff just slides off...

dave
Link, please? Or is this a joke?
Triggernosis.
I'm not joking.
In my younger days I was the dog.
We were always looking for a better way to slide through the crap.
https://www.kooldrirainwear.com/
This is the best stuff that we came up with.
I've had bibs and the parka top.
Several different times over the years.
Last I bought, I bought green bottoms and a solid fluorescent orange Parka top.
Put suspenders on the bottoms.
The nastiest stuff just slides off.
Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I still have a pair of old Wick’s bibs but they are looking ratty. Bloods stains, mildew from staying in the boat too long and they smell like absolute hound dog a-hole. People get out of your way in the coffee line at a the mini mart at 4:30 am, so they must be worn

Hardin284
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Hardin284
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a kid growing up hunting in the Keechi Creek bottom of east Texas, nothing short of a good set of hand held bypass pruning shears could get you through one of those briar patches.
Forget going "through". May as well go around!
I've seen those thickets so dense, you could run your 4 wheeler over the top of it! 😖
If you insist on attacking those "patches", nothing short of leather pants will protect you!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Filson Tin Cloth

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yes chainsaw chaps.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by hardin284

Yeah, all the rest of my hunting crew wear Dan's so I guess I may as well get me some so that they don't give me crap when I get tangled up in the cat-briars (blackberry briars).

Blackberry canes can be pretty vicious. I have a heavy canvas shirt and leather gloves when it comes to pruning out dead canes in the fall.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I’m going to respectfully disagree about leather being the only solution to the nastiest briars. The Dan’s, Wick’s, & Stone Creek type material is that tough but SLICK. I don’t think they make gloves in it so I always wear thick leather gloves though. And yes, a set of lightweight pruners in your pocket is a great asset.

There aren’t many days I come home from a hunt without bleeding from somewhere but not from where the stonecreeks cover…….face cheeks have a knack for getting snagged.

Most of that hunting is at Briar Creek Sportsman Club in Keysville, Ga. They don’t call it briar creek for nothing - lol

Hardin284
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a set of Dan's bibs that I like. Not a big fan of chaps, as I like to keep the boys protected.

Your everyday bird hunters brush pants won't shed briars near as well as Dan's, Mule or Stone Creek.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 32 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,440
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.