Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 37 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 36 37
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
And much is rewritten myth which predated the oldest of mosaic history.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by DBT
Literal days are specified, morning and evening of each day of Creation, morning and evening of the first day, the morning and evening of the second, etc.,
My argument is unscathed by that. Perhaps you didn't understand what I said.
... including a list of generations from Adam.
While Adam was the first man (by God's reckoning), Genesis does not state that he was the first member of his (our) zoological species. "Forming him from the mud" is shorthand allegory for the natural processes that led to his coming into existence. It had already been stated, after all, that God commanded the waters to bring forth all the moving creatures that have life. That's an all inclusive statement. Adam was a moving creature that had life.

I didn't notice that you had an argument. The claim of the OP is young earth cosmology, and the genesis narrative supports that notion. That is the point.

And obviously, the young earth claim has no merit despite what the bible describes.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Literal days are specified, morning and evening of each day of Creation, morning and evening of the first day, the morning and evening of the second, etc.,
While Adam was the first man (by God's reckoning), Genesis does not state that he was the first member of his (our) zoological species. "Forming him from the mud" is shorthand allegory for the natural processes that led to his coming into existence. It had already been stated, after all, that God commanded the waters to bring forth all the moving creatures that have life. That's an all inclusive statement. Adam was a moving creature that had life.

I didn't notice that you had an argument. The claim of the OP is young earth cosmology, and the genesis narrative supports that notion. That is the point.

And obviously, the young earth claim has no merit despite what the bible describes.
Read it again. You're missing it. More likely, however, you don't wish to see the argument.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Is the Bible fact or fiction?
Parts are fact, and parts are allegory. It's not generally hard to differentiate.

If special creation and the fall is merely allegory, this completely undermines Christian theology.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Parts are fact, and parts are allegory. It's not generally hard to differentiate.

If special creation and the fall is merely allegory, this completely undermines Christian theology.
Make your argument.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Read it again. You're missing it. More likely, however, you don't wish to see the argument.

Your argument twists the words on the paper as much as a democrat judge claiming the 2nd Amendment doesn't cover magazines because magazines are not arms.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
It's only to be expected that our two atheists wish to tie Christianity to an untenable literal interpretation of Genesis.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by DBT; 12/03/23.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

Make your argument.

Isn't it obvious that without a literal fall from grace there is no need for a literal sacrifice of Jesus for our salvation?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DBT
And as for theology, without the fall, what need of Jesus and redemption?
I've already extensively refuted your position on your former point. As to the above, who said there wasn't a fall? I certainly didn't. While it's a story told in allegory, the doctrine delivered by it was that, right from the start, man fell from God's grace. You don't have to know how exactly that occurred to accept the lesson that it did.

IC B3

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister

Well, that is a good question. There is a good amount of fact in the bible- many geographical locations and descriptions are accurate enough that places and buildings have been located and verified. Also, the listing of the families in the old testament is a historical reference to which the accuracy can and has been traced for lineage.

Since the Bible was put together some time after Jesus' time, and relies on stories which have been told and retold for centuries and interpreted by different sects of the Christian faithful it can't be relied on substantially to be factual in all matters. Also, due to the many interpretations by different sects it was a great battle to decide which interpretations were include in the final text and which were discarded. Also, since much of the bible is formed as story telling to teach in parables, the meaning is more spiritual than factual and must be interpreted by the faithful to gain meaning IMO...

This particular discussion could go on for quite some time...

Apparently you are not aware the Old Testament was translated from Hebrew into Greek about 250 years before Jesus was born.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
I've already extensively refuted your position on your former point. As to the above, who said there wasn't a fall? I certainly didn't. While it's a story told in allegory, the doctrine delivered by it was that, right from the start, man fell from God's grace. You don't have to know how exactly that occurred to accept the lesson that it did.

You haven't refuted a thing. In Christian theology, Redemption is based on the sacrifice of Jesus. If as the story goes, sin had not entered the world through Adam, there was need for Jesus the redeemer or his blood sacrifice;

''....but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. 12Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, so also death was passed on to all men, because all sinned....'''

''For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God's grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many!'' - Romans.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It's only to be expected that our two atheists wish to tie Christianity to an untenable literal interpretation of Genesis.

The whole Genesis story is fiction - there's nothing useful about it except fanciful entertainment.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

The whole Genesis story is fiction - there's nothing useful about it except fanciful entertainment.

Note for you and DBT

Sadly, these verses apply to you two…

2 Corinthians 4:3-4

“ 3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.”

Seek and you will find……Don’t seek and you will not find. Don’t seek and you will remain in your spiritual blindness.

The irony is that Satan and all his demons fully understand all about Jesus, who is God…but Satan has deceived you so that you cannot see the truth about yourselves, Satan or Jesus.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

You haven't refuted a thing. In Christian theology, Redemption is based on the sacrifice of Jesus. If as the story goes, sin had not entered the world through Adam, there was need for Jesus the redeemer or his blood sacrifice;

''....but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. 12Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, so also death was passed on to all men, because all sinned....'''

''For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God's grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many!'' - Romans.
I've already addressed this. You seem incapable of comprehending much of what I have to say. I suggest it's intentional.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TF49
“ 3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.”
Very apt quotation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Matter has been around for eons upon eons. It may of formed into what we know as earth 4.5 billion years ago but matter has been around for eons long before 4.5 billion years. Space junk. Someday it will all explode and start all over again. 5 billion years from now some guy will be typing on a computer just how old HIS earth is. I don't believe I will care. Space junk again.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The whole book of Genesis is fiction? Or just the creation story?
Genesis covers a lot of time and territory. Maybe billions of years.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings

Naw... Only 6000 years... /s

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by Hastings

Naw... Only 6000 years... /s
Whatever. But I would bet a lot of the book has a basis in real events. Cain and Abel could have been two tribes where a bunch of nomadic herders wiped out some farmers that were irritable over the nomad's animals eating their crops. As to the flood, we know the ocean spilled over into what is now the Black Sea, the deposing of Esau in a conspiracy by Jacob and his mother is believable. The slaughter of the Shechemites by Simeon's and Levi's men could easily be based in an event. Moving on further into the other books the destruction of Jericho probably did result from an earthquake at an opportune time. The David and Goliath story is believable in that a teenage sharpshooter could knock a huge opponent unconscious and then behead him with Goliath's own sword.

Surely a lot of the bible including Jesus' parables are allegories meant to convey a lesson but there are many cases where the historical parts have some basis in fact and real events. I'm sure the writers took some liberty and license in their recording of long ago oral history.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
Page 14 of 37 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 18,599 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,849
Posts18,537,409
Members74,050
Most Online20,407
6 minutes ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.