Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
guyotrd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I would consider myself a beginner - medium experienced handloader and I have been struggling for months reloading 180 TBT for my 300 WSM and would appreciate any advice. I have 100 left bullets and want to use them.

I am using once fired Federal Factory loaded Nickel and brass colored Brass with the exact specs from Federal, I have a Proof Carbon Barrel and Bighorn TL3 action using Redding dies and Federal Large Rifle Primers as in the Federal load page. I just moved to Texas and I started load development this summer and got blown primers on IMR 4350 starting load, and severe ejector marks on H4350 mid load so I tried RL 17 which is what federal advised - I was able to get 1 gr above the lowest load there but then ran out of RL 17 and may never see it again in my life. It was very hot at the outdoor range - 100 F so I decided to wait until November although I would like to be able to hunt in the heat. I have had the chamber checked by one of the best custom rifle makers in Texas, and it is good. I also sent the barrel back to proof as I needed to send my 6.5 PRC there anyway as it would not chamber Berger 156. I have measured the length of the cartrige with the TBT on the lands with my Hornady COAL gauge and it is 2.9035 so I have tried .05 off the lands which is very close to the Federal load tested numbers 2.825. As of yesterday I shot 12 rounds with H4350. On the lowest load of 62g I get slight ejector marks on 1/3. On 63 I get the same - only slight . On 64 and 65 only slight marks on all three. I did not even try the max at 66. There are no flattening of the primers and the bolt lift was fine this time around - I have now burned through almost 50 rds of a bullet that is no longer available and would appreciate any help - Because I have the powder and it is stable I plan on sticking with H4350. I was would like to stick with 63 g although it is not ideal and play with the jump to .80 off the lands to see if I can get rid of the ejector marks - I will then put on the Magneto Speed - The marks are so faint the picture does not show all of them THANK YOU for reading

Attached Images
300 tbt.JPG (13.26 KB, 169 downloads)
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think your loads are likely fine, but Federal has been pretty soft for me.

What sorta speeds are you seeing with your loads?

Semper Fi
G
guyotrd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks for the response - in the summer heat I was getting H4350 - 60g - avg 2820, 61 avg 2885, 62- avg 2940 I stopped there as I was getting serious pressure at 63 . I shot a few as described the other day and will now Chrono the 63's - With 63g of RL 17 I was averaging 3100 in the heat - This has been really frustrating - I come from Colorado and never realized what an extreme effect 100F would have even with supposed temp stable powders - I have run out of RL 17, and now am down to about 65 Bullets from 150, of the 180 TBT, which we may never see again. My original plan was to use about 20 in load developement and then load the next 130 and have enough for years of Elk Hunting and a bit of practice - I think they will replace it with 200g Terminal Ascent - I would load them but those bullets are not available either - Ha at least I have a ton of primers. I am also going to try some Hornady 178 ELD x and I also have nosler 180 and 200 I bought before the great shortage - I have been debating going back to just loaded ammo except for maybe my 375 H&H as they are so expensive. It seems like you can never fing anything federal except the loaded ammo - at least Hornady supports the hobby by keeping Bullets and Ammo relatively available - I have only taken 1 Elk and it was with a 180 TBT at 275yds - my gut tells me that the terminal ascent is a better choice than ELDX for an expensive Hunt -

G
guyotrd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Oh and if you were in the Marines - THANK YOU for serving our country -

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd look for 2900 to about 2950 with H4350 and whichever charge is most accurate. H4350 in the 300 WSM with a 180, any 180 should be the easy bullet. I start them .050 off the lands and go from there.

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by guyotrd
Oh and if you were in the Marines - THANK YOU for serving our country -

Thank you! Appreciate that.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with beretzs on this, Federal brass is soft. I am trying to rid myself of all WSM Federal brass as new WSM brass hits the market. I’m good on 300 WSM, just want some 270 WSM brass now, and I’ll be clear of all Fed WSM brass. The funny thing, I’ve had decent luck with 300 WM Federal bras though.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Have you indexed cases on ones that show pressure, to see if chamber is out of round Winchester had issues with that in the 300 WSM.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
"midlevel" belt here. It could be the brass is not tough like some say I have heard of several commercial ammo brass (obtained from OTS loads, looking at you PRVI and Federal) that just doesn't last if you try to reuse it. That makes sense if they are intending the case to be disposable in the first place. Plus, remember that many OTS loads are at max so they may weaken the brass from the get-go.

This aside, scenario kind of echos how I used to get hung up on small things as an intermediate homebrewer (of beer). In those days I would hang up over every little detail but after several kegs-worth of experience I learned to just be confident in what I had because it would be better than store-bought either way. I suppose what I mean by this is: load to the safe node you found and rock on, it will be plenty potent for game. When you get better brass, have another run with a different bullet!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For sure 100 degrees even with temp stable powders can cause issues especially with a minimum spec chamber. Still your experience sounds a little extreme. I wonder if you have a carbon ring. Might be worth checking.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I think your loads are likely fine, but Federal has been pretty soft for me.

What sorta speeds are you seeing with your loads?

I've seen the same thing with FC brass. With the 300WSM, I've gotten loose primer pockets after 4 loadings and mild loads, so I try to find different brass. Just about anything is better than FC in this case. With the 180gr TBT federals I'd run them about .020" off the lands with a charge weight of around 62.5-63 grains of H4350 with FC brass. A little more with R-P. Wondering what the accuracy was like with those charge weights? Bullet needs to be a little closer to the lands to shoot optimally though, from what I've seen with them.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Just ran into this, thought it may be of some interest to the OP.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
guyotrd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks for all the great assistance - as to Indexing the cases - I looked it up and I have not tried it - all of my loads were resized with a full length Redding die and they measure the same so please tell me what that would accomplish - I am heading back to the range this week and will see how 63g H4350 does - I read this article and based on that I am going to try .05 and .08 off the lands - although .02 might be worth a try as well. https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/federals-trophy-bonded-tip-bullet/83628
It seems I might have a case of soft brass, a tight barrel and lack of self confidence - I had never seen blow primers at the middle load - Thanks for the load data - that is what I have been going off of. Too bad there is no Reloder 17 as that seemed to give me the velocity at at 61g.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good luck with it. Too bad these are hard to find bullets. I know I should have bought more, when they were $30/box!!! They actually shoot very well in my rifles. Let us know how it goes. Thanks.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Index case felt pen case head to mark position in chamber, after firing rotate case, to see if it fits chamber in a different position which will indicate an out-of-round chamber.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Those are good bullets, good luck!

G
guyotrd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Hi all - Thank you for all the help from those more experienced than I

I went to the range this week with 8 Trophy Bonded Tip 180 rounds, loaded with 63g H4350 and a coal of 2.825 and 2.85, the target with 5 is the 2.825 and the one with 3 is the 2.85, which is the load I used for the last box of bullets I have left. This was a challenge and I burned over 80 bullets in load development - a new record for me - now let's see if Federal will ever ship them again or discontinue for the Terminal Ascent. There where ejector marks on a few but no other signs of pressure - so I guess - F&^k it and just shoot them. There was also a slight mark on the 1 of the 3 factory rounds I shot. Average velocity on the 5 @ 2.825 was 2974 and 2986 on the 2.85 COAL.

Interesting that the max velocity from the Federal loading numbers on their site is 66g of H4350 which shows the velocity in a 24 in barrel like mine is 2984 . So my rounds are basically the same velocity with 3g less powder. Could my Thunderbeast be acting like extra barrel length? The paper in the Bullet box only shows reloder 17 and 19 unlike their website, so I guess they prefer those - The guy at the Federal custom shop was very nice and helpful and he recommended RL 17 which I may not live long enough to ever see again.

I also loaded ELD-X with 63g and got about 2974. The Hornady book shows 2900 with 63.4 these were with Nosler brass which also had a few ejector marks on some of the rounds. I think I will shoot the ELD-x for practice and save the TBT for hunting.

I would appreciate any comments and also opinions on the ELD-X performance on game as oppossed to the TBT - I do not think the ELD-X are as expensive to make as they are half the price and Hornady keeps thier components and loaded ammo in stock - which is nice.

Would it be the Bighorn TL3 or the Proof Carbon barrel that causes this extra velocity which I assume is from extra pressure ? Should I hesitate to reload this brass for the second time?

As a side note the new Garmin Xero C1 Chronograph is the best thing for load development I have ever seen - I will be giving my Magneto to my son - You set it up within 15" of your barrel , basically press a few buttons and it is done - it also pairs with your phone - it is a gamechanger - I keep it in the shooting bag and no more screwing around with wires and setup. I went to the phone repair and even had them put some protecive glass on the screen. Truly a revolutionary product

Happy Holidays

Attached Images
IMG_6955 (1).JPG (12.7 KB, 52 downloads)
IMG_6954 (1).JPG (11.13 KB, 52 downloads)
IMG_6957 (1).JPG (11.44 KB, 52 downloads)
Last edited by guyotrd; 12/16/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It looks like you have an excellent load to me.

Your Tipped Bear Claw load is an animal. Nothing I’d be worried about tackling with that combo, at all.

Good to hear about the Garmin. Just got mine and cannot wait to try it out.

Semper Fi
G
guyotrd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Ha - Thanks beretzs!!

I had given up looking on ammoseek everyday - I really appreciate the help - I just ordered 3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I wished I’d bought 100’s of them when they were 25 bucks a box. They’re great hunting bullets and your accuracy with them seems to be normal.

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, anothergun, 6MMWASP, BB3, ar33c9, 7mm_Loco, 8 invisible), 1,398 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,529
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.