Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not just at my lease, but spoke to a few others saying similar. Bucks outnumbering does which is not normal.

On a 4 hour one road trip all or nearly all the dead deer by the roadside were bucks too.

In the varmint forum one hunter said he shot, I believe, 11 squirrels and all ended up being males. Said the odds were astronomical of that happening.

Sounds crazy to think something is amiss, but given the times we live in...... hello Faucci or what??

Ok, being dramatic but.....what about in your area?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
GB1

L
Campfire Member
Online Confused
Campfire Member
L
In the areas I hunt, they seem to be rittled with doe. Had numerous nice bucks on camera all the way to opener which have since disappeared of course. I have seen probably 3-4 times as many does and yearlings this year versus past years.

Looking at the DNR harvest stats, the bucks taken are 60+% more than the does, it seems this year everyone is after antlers of any variety.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Couldn’t get away from them this year. Both here in Maine and in Pennsylvania

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We’ve got way too many does in relation to bucks!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
We're in Kendall County and 5 of us have not fired a shot so far. Our deer numbers have been way down for the last 3 years and seems to be getting worse.

Last edited by Lslite; 12/04/23.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Does are few and far between in our part of Texas. Drought, Anthrax, predators, poor range conditions (over grazing), influx of non-native species. The list of reasons goes on. It is a cycle in our area where rainfall and when and if you get it is the biggest factor. This is in the Southwest edge of the Hill Country.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
The property I hunt in Southwest Virginia is over run with does. I counted seven at the little pond behind the farmhouse just a few days ago. Need to kill a few but my Sons and grandchildren all want to shoot bucks and I cannot convince them too thin the does a little to help the overall property, although I am as guilty as they are.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Eastern Oregon is full of does and twin fawns and in some cases three fawns, have seen ton of does and only few bucks.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shot 5 doe and 2 bucks this season.

Normal for here.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Seen more bucks on my WMA this year than any previous, courtesy of the work performed by the DNR. They cleared the head-high brushy meadows and planted food plots. Does go for the food and bucks go for does. Had just a great time watching all the grab-assing, and took two bucks and a doe. Still have tags, but will hold out for a bigger buck. ML season is a week away.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
All the does are here..in my garden and back yard, lol. Had 20 plus deer in the yard at the same time yesterday afternoon.

I've got The only 45 acres of woods and fields that ain't growing houses and concrete in the area, and every critter imaginable has moved in.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Next door to you in Arkansas, I haven’t seen a shortage of does…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

In Mississippi, when I opened the bow season with a buck-only hunt, of course I saw 10 does & zero bucks. Got one during primitive season & two more during modern gun because my friend asked me to harvest some of them.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Yes

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I was, then saw a dozen at the same time yesterday maybe they was on vacation

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A couple miles northwest of there.....this year we saw more deer than we've seen in ages. We were hunting a unit with draw hunts and huge mulie bucks. Tags are extremely hard to draw because lots of hunters know those bucks are there. While hunting elk, every time we turned around we saw does. Since the mulie rut was on, we also saw lots of big bucks.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A field about a mile from my house had 30+ does in it 30 minutes ago and no horns. Half mile north of it was another field with another 10 does and no horns. I'd say we've got the opposite problem.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i like having does around my land ,does are live decoys or a whore house for bucks .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had a lack of anything resembling a deer at our camp. However, the pre-season was loaded with them. Our guess is they stayed deep in the woods feasting on acorns. The acorns dropped unusually late this year. Either that or they all went in on a condo at Gatlinburg.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Not just at my lease, but spoke to a few others saying similar. Bucks outnumbering does which is not normal.

On a 4 hour one road trip all or nearly all the dead deer by the roadside were bucks too.

In the varmint forum one hunter said he shot, I believe, 11 squirrels and all ended up being males. Said the odds were astronomical of that happening.

Sounds crazy to think something is amiss, but given the times we live in...... hello Faucci or what??

Ok, being dramatic but.....what about in your area?

It’s the horn restrictions in most of Texas causing the low doe numbers. It’s part of the plan for bigger bucks. If guys don’t see a buck they want they take does instead. Taking 5 does a year just to have 13-15” wide bucks for the most part is crazy to me.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I saw does every day. I saw a lack of old bucks

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 10ring1, 40 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,294
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.