Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It snowed all weekend here, with a water equivalent of 1.75". The best part was that it never got much below freezing and last night it stayed in the low 40s. All that beautiful water and no shoveling!
The ski resorts were even happier, with up to two feet of powder.

Double bonus was that the storm cleared out our inversion gunk. Good clean air again.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
My favorite kind of snow falls about 100 miles away.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Since you mention it, I'm looking at an 8,000 ft peak 3 miles south of me....and you are right, "up there" snow is much better than "down here" snow.
We got too much, too quick, "down here" snow on Friday...Oh how I miss manual shift 4 wd engagement, Oh how I hate computer engineers idea where you select 4wd, the computer thinks about it, weighs the information, mulls it over for awhile, and if you are lucky, says yeah ok, we will let you have 4wd. Or...in my case Friday, naw, we can't get a consensus from all the sensors input, you can just wait until it's sunny and dry level road when you can reapply for permission...then maybe we will let you go into 4wd.
And then on the way home Sunday, dry surface, a doe runs out in front of me, I'm only doing 30 or 35, so I jam on the brakes, but the brake computer says, Flint we are gonna save your life by not letting you lock up the brakes thereby losing steering control. Well, at that speed, loss of control is a mute point, all I needed to do was stop with a squall and some blue smoke...nope, says Mr computer, mandatory anti skid. So now I need an 800 dollar bumper. It's a miracle the goddam air bags didn't blow. I am so sick of auto/lawyer 'save the soccer moms' designed vehicles.

Last edited by flintlocke; 12/04/23.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine's White...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I pulled the fuses on the antilock brakes of all my vehicles a few years ago, and stuck a piece of black electrical tape over the idiot light on the dash. The brakes work like they're supposed to now. The default position of any traction control/ALB system is "fail safe" mode- - - -plain old hydraulic brakes without any interference from a computer.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B2

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Ever made yellow snow

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The kind someone else shovels

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Melted!...

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Rain is my favorite kind of snow.

And cocaine.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
30-40 inches with about 8% water content. Even better if the storm clears out leaving a bluebird day….Heaven!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tracking.

I did practice starting my blowers a couple days back.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/04/23.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
And then on the way home Sunday, dry surface, a doe runs out in front of me, I'm only doing 30 or 35, so I jam on the brakes, but the brake computer says, Flint we are gonna save your life by not letting you lock up the brakes thereby losing steering control. Well, at that speed, loss of control is a moot point, all I needed to do was stop with a squall and some blue smoke...nope, says Mr computer, mandatory anti skid. So now I need an 800 dollar bumper. It's a miracle the goddam air bags didn't blow. I am so sick of auto/lawyer 'save the soccer moms' designed vehicles.

Amen. Anti-lock brakes caused me to have a similar issue. All that safety crap is designed for people who can’t drive

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Knee to waist-deep blower pow . . .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Rain is my favorite kind of snow.

And cocaine.
Bro!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Since you mention it, I'm looking at an 8,000 ft peak 3 miles south of me....and you are right, "up there" snow is much better than "down here" snow.
We got too much, too quick, "down here" snow on Friday...Oh how I miss manual shift 4 wd engagement, Oh how I hate computer engineers idea where you select 4wd, the computer thinks about it, weighs the information, mulls it over for awhile, and if you are lucky, says yeah ok, we will let you have 4wd. Or...in my case Friday, naw, we can't get a consensus from all the sensors input, you can just wait until it's sunny and dry level road when you can reapply for permission...then maybe we will let you go into 4wd.
And then on the way home Sunday, dry surface, a doe runs out in front of me, I'm only doing 30 or 35, so I jam on the brakes, but the brake computer says, Flint we are gonna save your life by not letting you lock up the brakes thereby losing steering control. Well, at that speed, loss of control is a mute point, all I needed to do was stop with a squall and some blue smoke...nope, says Mr computer, mandatory anti skid. So now I need an 800 dollar bumper. It's a miracle the goddam air bags didn't blow. I am so sick of auto/lawyer 'save the soccer moms' designed vehicles.
Neighbor to the west,

be glad it's just a bumper.

I'm pretty sure the nearly 20 year old anti-lock system failed, as the left front locked for a moment before the Matrix took me swimming in Cow Creek a couple of years back. Something caused that wheel to jerk me into opposing lane on my to Redding.

In it is contentment

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
My favorite kind of snow falls about 100 miles away.
...minimum..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What I like dealing with, is very different to what I like snowboarding in !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In 1983, I got the bright idea to move to Pagosa Springs, CO.
Everything went smoothly.....until the first snow!
THAT was 28"!
Total accumulated snowfall for the winter was 869"!!!!!
That is "eight hundred and sixty nine inches"!
It was June before it cleared up enough to get my flat lander, no snow butt out of there and back to friendlier climes!

The best snow to me is "NO SNOW"!

....and we get our share here in Oklahoma!
....and I don't like it either! 😖

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Columbian! I don't use it, I just like the way it smells.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
depends what for...
Light and fluffy snow makes great insulation, but it sucks for driving on a windy day.

Wet heavy snow is great for watching people walk up and down hill and then tank an unexpected luge run.

And who doesn't like a wet sloppy snowball for getting' even?

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 12/04/23.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,253
Posts18,486,286
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.