Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sooooooo, I am planning a two rifle battery. Down from about 7 in recent years. One is a Sako 9.3x66 and I was thinking 3006 in a sako Finnlite. The 9.3 will cover off the moose and bear with reliable performance. I understand the concept of the trajectory magnum, have hunted a 7 mag for years and bought and sold a 300WM. But, I'm looking for a light rifle and figure a 3006 with the TSX bullet would fill that bill. IS there some other caliber I should be looking at, my light rifle still needs to down a moose in a reliable fashion.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
To everybody else,

I would also like to point out that this thread does not just contain the moose data, but data on shooting whitetails and elk as well. (Go back and look.) So those who protest that Swedish meese are not the meeses they shoot, or that somehow for whatever reason that thousands of moose don't count, then look at the whitetail and elk data, which basically supports the Swedish meese.

I also really enjoy all the posts that protest that somehow the studies of professional forensic scientists are invalid, that in reality temporary wound cavity, hydrostatic shock, and all the other stuff that the guys who study wounds on professional basis have found DO NOT MATTER, somehow really do count.

One more thought: How come, if foot-pounds are so important, as well as temporary wound cavity and hydrostatic shock, why do moose and deer and elk shot in the heart/lung sticking place, die about as quickly when hit with a good broadhead as with a bullet? The energy of, say, a 400-grain arrow at 200 fps is about 25 foot-pounds. There is no temporary wound cavity, much less any hydrostatic shock (whatever in the hell that is). Yet I have seen this done quite a few times, and have done it myself.

Spot on..... Agree totaly...[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Killing [bleep] is pretty simple......

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I can't think of a better twosome for B.C.'s big game myself.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To all,

In the Swedish moose study the 300 WM and 358 Norma did better from what we know.

What we don't know is the exact detail of where the bullets hit. All it would take is a few neck shots and the averages would change a lot.

I looked up what the withers means that Triggerguard mentioned.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savage_99
To all,

In the Swedish moose study the 300 WM and 358 Norma did better from what we know.

What we don't know is the exact detail of where the bullets hit. All it would take is a few neck shots and the averages would change a lot.

I looked up what the withers means that Triggerguard mentioned.

[Linked Image]

Oddest damn moose I ever saw............... wink grin

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I enjoyed this article and in a round-about fashion it influenced a few of my firearms purchases. I purchased a 6.5x55mm as a light recoiling "deer rifle" for my youngest son. I purchased a 9.3x62mm for black bear based on J.B.'s writings. I don't have an opinion about the 6.5x55mm except I like the light recoil and accuracy in my Ruger 77. One black bear, one shot. I think the article shows the effect of significantly larger calibers and bullet weights, some improvement but not "magic" by any means. I like the .35 Whelen, not as much gun as the .358 Norma, but still effective. I have used the .308 Winchester for years and am not surprised by its standing as a moose cartridge. The .338 Win Mag isn't among the statistically significant cartridges, but still shows promise. Wacking something big with a .375 H&H is another adventure that will have to wait for money and time. I'd moose hunt on a regular bases if possible, except for the two reasons stated above. I think you could form an arguement for medium velocity rounds at reasonable weights and good sectional density. I would like to know the particulars of the bullets used by these hunters, but suspect they used common over the counter ammunition. I have heard there is a Swedish tradition to reload military calibers to make practicing cheaper and the citizens more prepared. The standard 140 grain 6.5x55mm has a sectional density of .287, higher than a 180 grain .308, equal to a 230 grain .338. No particular point except common bullets that are heavy and not to fast seem to work well.
Originally Posted by Jaywalker
Can't help you with the print version, but here's what Mule Deer posted here and I reformatted for easier viewing:

Scandinavian Moose (Alg) Study, per John Barsness in 24-Hour Campfire
24-Jan-07

This is not about bullet construction. Here are some of the
numbers from the Norwgian moose survey:
Code
Cartridge	Animals	# of Shots	Moose Travel*
6.5x55 	          2,792	   1.57	             43
7mm Rem. Mag. 	    107	   1.32	             40
.308 WCF	  1,314	   1.67	             41
.30-06 	          2,829	   1.57	             47
.300 Win. Mag. 	     27	   1.83	             16
8x57 	            575	   1.53	             57
.338 Win. Mag. 	     83	   1.20	             31
.358 Norma 	    219	   1.16	             19
9.3x57	            134	   1.50	             41
9.3x62 	            449	   1.50	             34
.375 H&H 	    211	   1.33	             31

*how far moose went after first shot

This list makes the .300 and .338 Winchester Magnums lok pretty
good--but note the low number of moose killed with each.
Also the .358 Norma beats the .338--and with a more statisically
significant number.
The two calibers with the most valid statistics are the 6.5x55
and .30-06. Look at those closely.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You guys cracked me up!!!

Reminds of old TX joke.

Wifey hunts with husband, and gets her game on the ground.

She is standing there, waiting for husband after her shot. A pre-arranged deal in their plan.

In a few minutes cowboy steps out of brush and says, "Maam, I would...........".

Wifey 'bout jumps out of boots. Turns around with her rifle pointed at cowboy and says, "My husband warned me about other hunters trying to steal my deer. You stay right there until my husband shows up."

Cowboy says, "Maam, I would like to know if all right I get my saddle off your deer?"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SeaRunRainbow

Killing [bleep] is pretty simple......
Steelehead is back!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They told me that was a girl moose. Girl moose don't have antlers. That one has some snow on it.

Good story Remseven.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
C'mom Denton, I'm not being a proponent--what would you call it?

...and can I do that with a 7-08?

Ooops... comment wasn't directed at you. Just being my normal persnickety self. Sorry.

If you need my permission to do that with a 7-08, go right ahead. smile

Be not weary in well doing.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Furprick,

As some guy named Townsend Whelen once wrote, "The .30-06 is never a mistake."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No problem at all

I imagine if it can be done with the 300, it could be done with the 7-08....perhaps just a broken heart.

Would have a hard time seeing it done with an arrow smile whatever term one may use...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We call it the hump here in Canada- same thing only more prominant on moose. That is the best place to hit moose, they go down big time and they can't get up. But you then need another shot to the head to finish the job. Do the swedes count that shot also?
By the way Savage your moose has shoes.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You guys are missing the one indisputable conclusion that can be drawn from the moose data. That is that Swedish moose can not, or, do not, read ballistics tables. Apparently it is not just American and Canadian herbivores that go to crappy public schools and make it to adulthood lacking literacy and numeracy. I don't know if it is happenstance, or the direct result of some worldwide conspiracy by the lever action crowd or turn o' the century milsurp proponents.

Either way, I'm all for maintaining the ignorance of the tastier herbivores; being a lefty, I can't stop by Grumpy Bob's gun store and pick up a .590 Mountainsplitter just to hunt moose with. At least with uneducated prey, I can harvest a variety of game with a .30-06 without apologia.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
By the way Savage your moose has shoes.

Good lord, don't give our federal wildlife people any ideas...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

For someone who avoids shoulders in deference to meat loss, you sure like a "meat shot" with that hump....and with what effect if the shot is a bit high?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Klikitarik- Draw a line from the top of the hump to the brisket, and you will get aprox 3 feet on a large moose. Aim for the middle and you can be 1 foot high or 1 foot low and still kill that moose very effectively.
The hump meat is usually so tough that it is usually hamburger meat.
The shoulder blades are traversed easily and the biggest hole I have seen to date is about the size of a baseball on exit.
Where else on the moose do you see getting this 3 foot range?
The prime cuts are at the rear but you allready know that right?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thats interesting. I shoot my red deer in the same place. They go down straight away and never have taken a step. By the time you get to them they have usually expired.
It seems to take out the the shoulders, the spine and clip the top of the lungs all at the same time. Very effective place to shoot for. Easier target than a neck shot and with the same result. Always wondered what that was called.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's a fair-sized window with one of the least meat-damaging shots you can take.....especially if you aren't throwing 300 grains of lead at 3,000fps....(grin)

The "withers" basically give you a great target that has fingers reaching down and connect the critter's entire spine. Since I haven't shot a moose yet, I can't comment, but for Elk it's the ticket. Normally place them in the shoulders on deer, but bear is another critter that will drop like a rock with that shot.

If you're looking to anchor your next bull elk, I'd highly recommend the technique, and fret not about your measily standard caliber making out in great fashion.

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,955
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.