Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Outlier experience. A blind friend had to come home earlier than his wife on a family business trip. She put him on the bus from California to Denver. I picked him up. There were 5 people watching out for him, making sure he got off OK, and verifying who I was.

Different time I picked him up at airport. Walked in, plane was early, walked right into him fumbling along with no cane holding his arms out feeling for walls. Proof God looks after drunks and fools.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've ridden the local routes between mom and dad's house's (35-40 miles) when in Jr high/high school. Last long trip was central valley California to Lake Tahoe (sophomore summer). Amtrack from Hanford to Sacramento, Greyhound Sac to Tahoe. Some sketchy people in Sac bus terminal. Bus smoked, pulled over by the CHP. Driver begged cop to give him a ticket so it would really be fixed.

I'll take a train WAY BEFORE a bus.

Sean
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ahh the street-rat express. Used to shuffle bums across America. You couldn't pay me money to ride one.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Never road Greyhound but I did ride the Mexican equivalent from Culiacan to Nogales. It took about 22 hours because even though it was supposed to be an express, the driver would stop in every little town and load up more people and sometimes their goats. We had two or three army checkpoints where we had to get out and get searched a little too. But it really wasn’t as bad as that guy’s experience on Greyhound looked like it was.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by calikooknic
I've ridden the local routes between mom and dad's house's (35-40 miles) when in Jr high/high school. Last long trip was central valley California to Lake Tahoe (sophomore summer). Amtrack from Hanford to Sacramento, Greyhound Sac to Tahoe. Some sketchy people in Sac bus terminal. Bus smoked, pulled over by the CHP. Driver begged cop to give him a ticket so it would really be fixed.

I'll take a train WAY BEFORE a bus.

I think a lot of people would take a fast, affordable train before they would either drive or fly. It's just that America doesn't have much of a passenger rail system and it's expensive.

The interstates are getting crazy congested in the eastern U.S. Just one example is Interstate 40 through North Carolina. I made my first drive to the coast of North Carolina in 1978. It was non eventful--light traffic, plenty of room. Now, a big part of it is 8 lanes bumper to bumper for a large part of it.

Try I-95 through Florida or I-75 going through Atlanta. A person is lucky if they don't get tied up in at least one traffic jam during a day long drive. My longest was 4.5 hours on I-65 in northern Tennessee. Everybody just shut their cars down and loafed around on the interstate all afternoon.

Getting on an airliner is like checking into prison and they cram you together like sardines.

I can really see the appeal of traveling 250 mph in a comfortable seat on a high speed train.

It's said that Americans love their cars too much for rail travel to become popular. Well, maybe. Cars are definitely convenient. But sitting behind the wheel operating one for 10 hours to travel somewhere has lost a lot of appeal for me. I bet it has for a lot of people. Especially since you're doing 75 mph in a car,.maybe 85 if you want to risk a ticket.

High speed rail does 250 mph and you don't have to operate it risking accidents, traffic jams, speeding tickets, and breakdowns.

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
While I was Greyhounding to Wisconsin in the 80s, a state cop stopped the bus and hauled the driver away. All of us just got out and stood on the side of the highway. Two hours later, the cop car reappeared, the driver got behind the wheel and took off without saying what happened.

Last edited by Greatlaker; 12/04/23.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
High speed rail would suck. Why? One, they would turn it into security state theatre hell just like airports. Number two, it would be full of all the people who were too poor to afford cars to travel. And you know who and what that means. It would be like Spirit airlines on steroids.

The sad fact is that this country is now too full of uncivilized people for anything as pedestrian, as cheap and efficient public transportation to ever be any fun or safe again. That is unless you enjoy being trapped inside a metal tube hurtling across the countryside with entitled fat baby momas, idiots, and turban wearing goat frickers.

Last edited by JoeBob; 12/04/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I can't drive we're not going.
Been on enough planes during our scuba trips .
I'm done

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Never road Greyhound but I did ride the Mexican equivalent from Culiacan to Nogales. It took about 22 hours because even though it was supposed to be an express, the driver would stop in every little town and load up more people and sometimes their goats. We had two or three army checkpoints where we had to get out and get searched a little too. But it really wasn’t as bad as that guy’s experience on Greyhound looked like it was.

That's why there's separate cars.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The interstates are getting overwhelmed. The airlines are inefficient. The bus systems are a joke.

This country needs an extensive high speed rail system that's low cost enough for people to use. The technology has been around for a while.
Can't afford that. Too many wars, too many illegals to house, feed, clothe, and medicate.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob

That's why there's separate cars.

On a bus?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by LazyL0228
I was 18 yr old and was just out of high school. Was going to Daytona Fla. took 27 hr. A girl got on in Kentucky. Ask if seat was taken next to me I told her no and she set down. We talked for a while and both fell asleep. Next stop we got off and got some coffee. When we got back on she led me to the back of the bus. Well we did not sleep she got off in Georgia. What a good time we had.
Doesn't sound like it if couldn't get of until she got to Georgia.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Used to be a comedian that did a skit about pubic transportation. Said there were 3 categories; plane, train, and BU-uh-UH-uh-US….thinking he nailed it.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Greyhound = Tom Waits material

Last edited by night_owl; 12/04/23.

abusus non tollit usum
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can only recall two rides on greyhound. One was from San Francisco to Santa Clare and the only bus available was a commuter. Three hours to go roughly 50 miles. No choice. My friends wanted to hook me up with this cute read head. and my car was in my garage while I chased down another transmission. I dated he a couple of times but we didn't work out. Stuff happenes.
Second time I was going from the base in Las Vegas to San Francisco to look at a car my dad spotted. I'll just say the first half of the trip was interesting and I slept the rest of the way from Barstow to San Francisco. The car? It was a 55 Olds Super 88 two door hardtop. Guy said it was his late mother's car. Yeah right. Dual 4 barrels headers and straight pipes. Engine had a lope at idle that makes think it had a cam that was not stock. $600. Damn thing was quick.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Riding the Loser Cruiser is a great way to get lice.
Pass. I'd rather walk.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
[video:yahoo]
[/video]

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
1980, living in Las Cruces NM where I had sublet an apartment to have a mailing address while applying to the Peace Corps. At the time I was living on day labor.

Got accepted but had to have all preemptive dental work done first which in my case included four extra vestigial wisdom teeth buried in the gum. Had em chiseled out while conscious (Novocain city) and the very next day got on a Greyhound for a four-day journey to Highland Falls NY for a short visit with my parents before leaving for Africa.

I was bloody-mouthed and biting on cotton wool to suppress bleeding, I do recall the stitches and musta had them removed in NY tho I only vaguely recall doing so.

I suppose the trip was much like that guy’s journey but he comes across as sort of a wuss. I do recall a White Ex-Con-looking guy with “LOVE” tatooed on one knuckle and “HATE” on the other who was acting like he wanted to fight me.

Somewhere in the South this older Black Lady sitting across from me dressed in her church clothes fell asleep and her hat fell in the aisle. Without waking her I picked up her hat, dusted it off, and carefully placed it in the luggage rack above her head.

Ex-Con tattoo guy, sitting further back, might have seen that because he suddenly weren’t hostile any more. We didn’t talk or anything but his attitude was different.

See? Sometimes a good deed DOES go unpunished 🙂

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'

Next Time Take The Train! You'll just need to first travel back in time to the 1950s. grin

Santa Fe promo film featuring the lovely actress Virginia Leith. smile
Music: "Super Chief" by Count Basie & His Orchestra

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
The interstates are getting overwhelmed. The airlines are inefficient. The bus systems are a joke.

This country needs an extensive high speed rail system that's low cost enough for people to use. The technology has been around for a while.
Interstates are fine.

I 35 has sucked for years.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,735
Posts18,494,907
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.