Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Don't over think this, I was being pesky. laugh
In that case, things that make you go hmmmm...

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Riddle me this:

The Celsius temp scale is 0 for freezing and 100 for boiling water. Fahrenheit is 32 and 212 respectively.

So one day I was lounging around in Nam and about 11 AM it was 47 on the Celsius thermometer. That's 116.6 F. According to Celsius that's only 3 degrees short of halfway to boiling. It's only 95.4 short of boiling on the F scale. Thing that really confused me was that I wasn't sweating.

How's that work in your head?

Stopping sweating can be a sign that you are going into heatstroke. Confusion too.

Or it was so dry and hot that your sweat was evaporating immediately as your body pushed it out.

47 C is pretty bloody hot.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
FWIW metric was introduced here when I was a kid, so I grew up with both, and have never had an issue swapping back and forth.

One trap for young players is that the US measures aren't always the same as Imperial, so you can get tripped up. For example, an Imperial gallon is roughly 4.5 litres, while a US gallon is only about 3.8, so things like miles per gallon and so on can get confusing.

There's also other little traps like Imperial/US using the pound, which is a unit of weight, while metric uses a unit of mass.

Metric certainly makes it easier to do calculations though, especially for engineering/science.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
How does liters to killimeters work?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It doesn’t.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by rainshot
I can convert when I have to. I can machine and thread metric if I have to but it is problematic because there's no metric support over here. You can't buy matric metal stock or taps and dies. Metric isn't so standardized from one country to the other. I have in my possession a metric tap that's a true bastard. It is neither metric not imperial. If you are born and taught using one system it's natural to you and that goes both ways.

I'm not sure where "over here" is, but you can sure as hell buy metric taps, dies, stock, nuts, bolts, measuring devices and everything else in the United States. Check the Grangers, MRC, or any other industrial supply catalog.

For fifty years now I have just been shaking my head in amazement at how confused, irrational, intimidated, illogical and just over the top crazy and misinformed people can be about something as simple and logical as the metric system.

Mathew 22: 37-39

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Spark plug were metric threads in the late 1900's.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
The metric hour is the most confusing.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I still prefer drams, gills, bushels, pecks, furlongs, leagues, chains, etc. Anything to be contrary.

The metric thing I really hate is pressures and torque

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If I ever see another megapascale it will be too soon.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Riddle me this:

The Celsius temp scale is 0 for freezing and 100 for boiling water. Fahrenheit is 32 and 212 respectively.

So one day I was lounging around in Nam and about 11 AM it was 47 on the Celsius thermometer. That's 116.6 F. According to Celsius that's only 3 degrees short of halfway to boiling. It's only 95.4 short of boiling on the F scale. Thing that really confused me was that I wasn't sweating.

Heat stroke will kill you. One symptom is not sweating when it's that hot. You apparently didn't have other symptoms so that probably wasn't the your issue, but it's something to watch out for.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
On my project in Qatar (50k workers in camp) we had flags with well known colors that allowed work, backed off work in stages and ended work on temperature. A large water bottle hanging from your belt was required basic PPE.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Riddle me this:

Stopping sweating can be a sign that you are going into heatstroke. Confusion too.

Or it was so dry and hot that your sweat was evaporating immediately as your body pushed it out.

Under those hot and dry conditions fans only seem to blow hot air too, without any perceivable cooling effect.

As a side note, drinking beer under those conditions doesn't seem to get one as pissed as quickly. You gotta drink alot of water irrespective and especially if you're drinking alcohol. Actually you should avoid the alcohol all together, and coffee.

I thought Nam would've had high humidity.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
L
L
Riddle me this:

The exact correct amount of beers is my explanation

L
L
Riddle me this:

Under those hot and dry conditions fans only seem to blow hot air too, without any perceivable cooling effect.

As a side note, drinking beer under those conditions doesn't seem to get one as pissed as quickly. You gotta drink alot of water irrespective and especially if you're drinking alcohol. Actually you should avoid the alcohol all together, and coffee.

No [bleep]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We are stuck folks, it's not going away.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon

The metric system is based on water, the size of the earth and the number 10.

10,000,000 meters from the North Pole to the Equator.

A cube 1cm on each side (1 cc) has a volume equal to 1 milliliter.

1 milliliter of water has a mass of 1 gram.

Temperature? At sea level water freezes at 0 centigrade and boils at 100.

Anyhoo…..

1 liter = 1,000 ml = 1,000cc = the volume of a cube 10cm on each side.

1kilometer =1,000 meters = 100,000 centimeters.

1 liter would fill a cube 0.00001 km on each side.

And…..

A 1km cube has a volume of 1,000,000,000,000,000 cc which is equal to 1,000,000,000,000 liters.

Hope this helps.

And……

I hope I did the math right.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a tool and die maker since 1986

.03937 is all I ever need

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My metrics:

A beer = 155ml

1/4 = 6mm bullet

161km = 100 miles because that the distance from Vandalia, OH to Indianapolis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Riddle me this:

It did indeed. I just remembered why I wasn’t sweating. I was packin’ a minigun. Shooting metric ammo I was.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

473 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1_deuce, 260madman, 1minute, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,856
Posts18,478,531
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.