Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
if it were me I'd def try Easter Island for its ancient civilization, or Galapagos Islands for the scenery and sea life. stay way from Pitcairn Island, search pitcairn island scandal if you want to find out why

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Must be some Nomad in your veins. Happy travels.

I’ve always been accused of being nomadic. 😀

Having Alaska Airlines “absorbing” Hawaiian Airlines is a good thing not just for the new destinations that will be available in Asia and the South Pacific but also for U.S, Alaska and Hawaiian routes….more non-stops and more options in general.

“Alaska Air, which operates more than 200 Boeing jets, has been expanding beyond its historic footprint serving the Pacific Northwest. In 2016 it acquired Virgin America.

Taking over Hawaiian would expand Alaska Airlines’ reach to destinations in Asia, including Australia and Japan, that it currently doesn’t directly serve. Alaska Airlines has an existing partnership with American Airlines, launched in 2020.”
Alaska Air has(had?) a reputation as the best maintained fleet in the air... and Hawaiian is worst. Makes you wonder how that will settle out.

It will be interesting to see how it will affect inter-island fares. They have been brutal at times.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I was sad when Alaska Airlines and Delta parted ways. I’ve been a Delta flyer and living near Boise, Alaska Airlines provided additional options when needed, especially to Seattle which I traveled to frequently.

Sitka Deer brings up a good point, I would expect to see Hawaiian Air being brought up to Alaska standards. But not necessarily tomorrow. I would minimize heavy maintenance done in Hawaii, the island people don’t bring much of a work ethic to the table. Wonderful people, but there is a lot of truth to “Island Time.”

I hope this is beneficial to all you in the 49th state!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Flew over, but did not stop at Truk Atoll. Tons of Jap ships underwater in the harbor there.

1Minute
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Aces n 8's the world is not that safe a place anymore especially for American travelers. You might find searching on your computer almost as enlightening and a whole lot less expensive. It is your assets and life to spend though , have at it. Mb

No Sir! I’m not allowing “fear” to imprison me. I WILL however attempt to mitigate the dangers and NOT travel to places that are gripped by unrest like Europe, Middle East, Russia including most former Russian satellite states like Ukraine. 😉.

Good on you Aces, don't let BS like that above scare you from doing what you've wanted to do. The media has made people afraid of their shadows.

I'm an airline pilot and fly mostly international routes. I'm in Europe constantly along with the middle east, China, Japan, India, Australia, etc. I'm in Anchorage a lot too. I shake my head at comments like the above. The number of times I've been hassled about being an American is exactly zero in the 30 years and dozens of countries I've been in on six continents. Last week I was in Paris and walked all over the place with zero concern for my safety. I take the normal precautions like in any big city, but having been to Paris a few hundred times I can unequivocally state that I feel safer there than I would walking around L.A. or New York. If I'd cowered in my hotel room I'd have missed a great meal, good company, and good wine.

The TSA are a minor inconvenience and if someone lets that stop them from traveling then they didn't want to much in the first place. Enjoy your life, don't cower in a bubble for fear of the boogyman.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Aces, Having had to suffer through innumerable episodes of Sponge Bob with the grandsons, I consider myself to be quite the little authority on radiation effects. Beware Runit Island and Bikini Atoll, for thar be dragons matey.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Too bad the authoritarian and ineffectual TSA has made flying completely and utterly untenable.

I too have had my junk grazed my an overzealous tsa agent while he checked me for contraband.

I got over it. Hawaii is nice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ace,
just what is it you want to do? The options are nigh endless. Hunt rusa deer in New Caledonia? Our go for turkeys while you're there? Get a first hand look at the wreckage left from II? That's the Solomons, although Palau and environs are runners-up. Dive? Try Beqa or other islands in the Fiji group. The South Pacific is vast and opportunities abound. If you aren't going to be doing, just have a t-shirt made and stay at home.

Airline and Travel Nazi hassles aren't hard to deal with; jet lag is a bigger problem.

RB

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (01Foreman400, AnthonyB, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 12 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,067
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.