Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by Coyote10
I watched a deal about 5 years ago when that dude from Thomson long range mounted a scope. He used a string and plumb bob about 50 feet away to level the reticle after leveling the action.

If you don't have the 50 feet to work with then level your rifle up in a vice with the butt plate a foot or so from a light colored wall, or big piece of white poster board. Then with the lights in the room off, shine a strong flashlight through the objective lens of the scope. Fiddle with your focus and power until the image of the reticle is clear on the wall. Thumbtack a string with a fishing sinker on the wall as your plumb bob. Level your scope to the shadow of the plumb bob string. Never not works.

At my old house there was enough room in the basement that I could use a plumb bob in the regular fashion but here there isn't enough room to do that. I'll try this method. Thanks for posting that.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
We've been doing ours this way for years and we've been very successful as a Family.

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
My scope rings are in perfect alignment because the tips on my alignment bars are touching perfectly. grin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
🤣

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by VaHunter
My scope rings are in perfect alignment because the tips on my alignment bars are touching perfectly. grin

Thanks for this ^.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I remember that thread - it was epic !!! No convincing that guy of the concept that the points could touch but the rings not be in alignment, even with the graphic.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I recently mounted a scope on my tweaked 375 H&H M70 for a brown bear hunt next year using the Near one piece (a lightweight work of art frankly). They were very clear to not lap the mount. I did not and expect it to shoot well with the 3-9X Trijicon Accupoint. I have rifles where I lapped and some that I have not. All have killed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Don’t know why people fret themselves with ring alignment
Just use Burris signature rings
You can align it straight or elevate if you find you don’t have enough clicks
Kenneth

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by EdM
I recently mounted a scope on my tweaked 375 H&H M70 for a brown bear hunt next year using the Near one piece (a lightweight work of art frankly). They were very clear to not lap the mount. I did not and expect it to shoot well with the 3-9X Trijicon Accupoint. I have rifles where I lapped and some that I have not. All have killed.

I have a set of those Near mount/rings for a 700 SA for sale in the classifieds.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gunzo

Thanks for this ^.

I'm pretty impressed with the drawing.😆

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by dave284
Now the purpose, as I see it, of lapping rings is to get the axis through the two rings in perfect alignment so that no lateral torque/bending is exerted on the scope tube. Scope tube diameters vary from one manufacture to another, our own John Barness just recently mention the variations in tube diameters, and I suspect these variations in diameter even exist from models within a single manufactures line. Now you add in that there are variations in the diameters of lapping bars and you can see where lapping does not insure a perfectly round ring. If you start out with the perfect ring and a undersize lapping bar your ring will be out of round and will have more contact pressure on the sides of the scope tube than the bottom. Conversely if the lapping bar is oversize the bottom of the scope tube will have more pressure applied than at the sides.

I would think that this small amount of pressure difference is insignificant in the operations of the scope internals. What is important is that the two rings are perfectly aligned so as to not have a torsional bending of the scope tube. This can be accomplished by just lapping the bottom of the ring which will allow the scope tube to sit as straight as possible without the torsional force of misaligned rings.

I would submit that if rings are perfectly round the chances of your lapping bar matching the exact diameter of your rings or the scope tube to be very slim.

I have saw this same topic several times over the years. That is the best description of why it is only necessary to lap the bottom ring that I have saw. And maybe, why it really isn't that important to do at the same time.

That being said, I'll probably keep doing both halves when I do it. I don't do it every time and couldn't really tell you why I do when I do, except that it sometimes give me the warm fuzzies. Personally, I've not seen it make a difference in accuracy when done to a rifle of previously known accuracy.
Even the scope tube on my $2300 Nightforce Competition scope vary .003" from end to end...
Lap the bottom rings, bed the scope afterwards. You'll be GTG.

And the reason he beds the scope afterwards, is

1. that lapping bars wear.

2. The OD of the lapping bar and the scope tube will not be the same. Close but not the same.

The bedding should be a non filler type epoxy. ( JB )

This is a very good method of getting 100% contact that is stress free. Scopes don’t slip this way, even heavy scopes in light rifles with heavy recoiling chamberings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With good technique when mounting bases lapping of rings is a waste of time and can do much more damage than good.

But I tend to shoot a bit further than most.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I just lap the bottom half. For alignment i do put the lapping rod in the bottom half of the rings before tightening them down.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 15 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.