Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 37 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 36 37
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Please explain how a Ring Species is not evidence for evolution.

A little niche, but okay. I’m not a scientist and haven’t dedicated my life to proving the bible is correct (despite believing it is), however….

It would make sense to me if a qualified scientist said 2 species that could (suggesting “theory”) already be genetically related and produce offspring, I could see that. But are they evolving? Is the argument now: Evolution can be opportunity and promiscuity?

…and it still doesn’t address the length of existence of the parent species.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RayF
Please explain how a Ring Species is not evidence for evolution.

A little niche, but okay. I’m not a scientist and haven’t dedicated my life to proving the bible is correct (despite believing it is), however….

It would make sense to me if a qualified scientist said 2 species that could (suggesting “theory”) already be genetically related and produce offspring, I could see that. But are they evolving? Is the argument now: Evolution can be opportunity and promiscuity?

…and it still doesn’t address the length of existence of the parent species.

Ray,

Ring species are most common in birds, usually gulls. There will be a series of member so the same species, each in it's own geographic region making a "ring" around the earth. Each member is able to mate with it geographical neighbors except the two at the ends of the ring.

One of those will be the original of the species from which the others evolved. The last will be the newest member of the species, which, because it can no longer bread with the original is technically not of the same species, giving us an unbroken chain in the process of speciation and a clear demonstration of one species evolving into another.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ray,

Ring species are most common in birds, usually gulls. There will be a series of member so the same species, each in it's own geographic region making a "ring" around the earth. Each member is able to mate with it geographical neighbors except the two at the ends of the ring.

One of those will be the original of the species from which the others evolved. The last will be the newest member of the species, which, because it can no longer bread with the original is technically not of the same species, giving us an unbroken chain in the process of speciation and a clear demonstration of one species evolving into another.

Thanks, A-snipe.

I was vaguely familiar with the topic, but your description does elaborate it well. I don’t believe that changes the sentiment in my previous response. I don’t see the ring species establishing any more merit in the argument for “Evolution” because of previously stated gaps in the theory.

Again, its the best theory science has, but (despite prominent people saying the opposite), I believe a theory is just a theory. Going beyond the agnostic approach of “Evolution could have happened” and into the proclamation of “Evolution is the way it happened” utilizes just as much faith as any Christian puts in the bible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Steve
The whole Genesis story is fiction - there's nothing useful about it except fanciful entertainment.
The whole book of Genesis is fiction? Or just the creation story?
Genesis covers a lot of time and territory. Maybe billions of years.

Naw... Only 6000 years... /s
Whatever. But I would bet a lot of the book has a basis in real events. Cain and Abel could have been two tribes where a bunch of nomadic herders wiped out some farmers that were irritable over the nomad's animals eating their crops. As to the flood, we know the ocean spilled over into what is now the Black Sea, the deposing of Esau in a conspiracy by Jacob and his mother is believable. The slaughter of the Shechemites by Simeon's and Levi's men could easily be based in an event. Moving on further into the other books the destruction of Jericho probably did result from an earthquake at an opportune time. The David and Goliath story is believable in that a teenage sharpshooter could knock a huge opponent unconscious and then behead him with Goliath's own sword.

Surely a lot of the bible including Jesus' parables are allegories meant to convey a lesson but there are many cases where the historical parts have some basis in fact and real events. I'm sure the writers took some liberty and license in their recording of long ago oral history.

I think it's safe to say all the extraordinary events are bullshit.

A large chunk of it is demonstrabally factually and historically wrong.
Which of the examples I gave are demonstrably factually and historically wrong. Not suspect or unproven but factually proven false and ''bullshit''? There are plenty of examples I could have given that may have a base in actual events but that would take a while.

What you claim to have done is not necessarily what you have in fact done. No doubt that you honestly believe that you have made a case, but you are wrong.

The failure here is conflating the historical and factual parts of the bible with the fantastic supernatural elements of its stories. Where one can be true, the places, the kings, rulers, tribes, cities, etc, while the other, the supernatural portion, Good, gods, angels, demons, etc, are fictional.
Did I conflate the (probably distorted) factual parts of the bible with the supernatural elements? I just said that I would bet that a lot of the bible stories are based in real events. I also mentioned my belief that the writers took liberty and license in juicing up the lore passed down in oral history.

I really don't think I invoked the supernatural.

I do believe the survival of the Jewish people to be a miracle based in supernatural protection and discipline but that is another subject that wasn't addressed this time.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Ray,

Thanks, A-snipe.

I was vaguely familiar with the topic, but your description does elaborate it well. I don’t believe that changes the sentiment in my previous response. I don’t see the ring species establishing any more merit in the argument for “Evolution” because of previously stated gaps in the theory.

Again, its the best theory science has, but (despite prominent people saying the opposite), I believe a theory is just a theory. Going beyond the agnostic approach of “Evolution could have happened” and into the proclamation of “Evolution is the way it happened” utilizes just as much faith as any Christian puts in the bible.

Ray,

I'm not asking you to evaluate the whole of evolutionary theory, just this one piece of evidence.

What's the quality of this piece of evidence, and what does it tend to indicate?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by rainshot
It's not something I dwell on but since it's being brought up I'll tell what a nuclear scientist once told me when I asked the question. By whose clock do you measure time; God's or man's?

thank you for sharing this...I hadn't heard it before and that reply is awesome

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mwarren
Originally Posted by rainshot
It's not something I dwell on but since it's being brought up I'll tell what a nuclear scientist once told me when I asked the question. By whose clock do you measure time; God's or man's?

thank you for sharing this...I hadn't heard it before and that reply is awesome

It is a silly question. God created time for man's use. God is out side of time.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The earth was not created in its present form in 6 days (144 hours) less than 10,000 years ago. Period, end of story.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ray,

I'm not asking you to evaluate the whole of evolutionary theory, just this one piece of evidence.

What's the quality of this piece of evidence, and what does it tend to indicate?

I’m struggling to identify the level of specificity you’re looking for, but I’ll give it a shot. The first thing that strikes me is the term, as a ring is circular, suggesting a scientific version of transitive relation (equality, or in this case, sameness). The ends are not the same. I understand the description refers to a geographic ring, but it can be a little misleading. This is beside the point, but I felt compelled to state it.

More directly, my unqualified opinion is I believe it is hybridizing, which isn’t evolution as is pitched on 24HRCF. Pardon the potentially incorrect terminology, but I believe the ultimate argument for Evolution as described (by qualified evolutionists) is one species evolving into another species. The “Ring species”, as my tiny brain understands it is, as you say, different geographic regions of the same species making hybrid versions of the same species. Labradoodles come to mind. 😂

All that said, I’d consider the scientific quality of this evidence as potentially relevant, but not conforming to the Theory of Evolution. Clearly, it qualifies to explain hybrids. Ultimately, it doesn’t move the ball in either direction.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
God works in strange , and mysterious ways.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How’s the cows, wabi?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Modern science is no different than philosophy, mostly theory and speculation.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The cows are grazing on cornstalks, doing well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
It's only to be expected that our two atheists wish to tie Christianity to an untenable literal interpretation of Genesis.

The whole Genesis story is fiction - there's nothing useful about it except fanciful entertainment.

Note for you and DBT

Sadly, these verses apply to you two…

2 Corinthians 4:3-4

“ 3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.”

Seek and you will find……Don’t seek and you will not find. Don’t seek and you will remain in your spiritual blindness.

The irony is that Satan and all his demons fully understand all about Jesus, who is God…but Satan has deceived you so that you cannot see the truth about yourselves, Satan or Jesus.

Sadly those verses don't mean anything.

Well, they in fact do and unless you see the light, you will one day know the truth. And that my friend will both a sad and tragic day for you.

“Seek God while He May be found.”

Nope, still not meaning anything.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Whatever. But I would bet a lot of the book has a basis in real events. Cain and Abel could have been two tribes where a bunch of nomadic herders wiped out some farmers that were irritable over the nomad's animals eating their crops. As to the flood, we know the ocean spilled over into what is now the Black Sea, the deposing of Esau in a conspiracy by Jacob and his mother is believable. The slaughter of the Shechemites by Simeon's and Levi's men could easily be based in an event. Moving on further into the other books the destruction of Jericho probably did result from an earthquake at an opportune time. The David and Goliath story is believable in that a teenage sharpshooter could knock a huge opponent unconscious and then behead him with Goliath's own sword.

Surely a lot of the bible including Jesus' parables are allegories meant to convey a lesson but there are many cases where the historical parts have some basis in fact and real events. I'm sure the writers took some liberty and license in their recording of long ago oral history.

Which of the examples I gave are demonstrably factually and historically wrong. Not suspect or unproven but factually proven false and ''bullshit''? There are plenty of examples I could have given that may have a base in actual events but that would take a while.

You need to take that up with the biblical scholars who can help you to sort out the limited facts from the signification amount of fiction.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The whole Genesis story is fiction

Speaking of fiction…..

[Linked Image]

Evidence of interspecies evolution? Sure, it's called evolution - google it sometime, you might learn something.

Interesting way of saying you don’t have any evidence but you choose to believe it on faith. Case and point of how some atheists use science as a religion, gents.

Thank you, Mauserless.

You still not sure how to use google? Or just scared that you'll discover the truth and blow your whole world view and realise that you're wasted much of your life in a huge mental masturbatory exercise?

Well?
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

What you claim to have done is not necessarily what you have in fact done. No doubt that you honestly believe that you have made a case, but you are wrong.

The failure here is conflating the historical and factual parts of the bible with the fantastic supernatural elements of its stories. Where one can be true, the places, the kings, rulers, tribes, cities, etc, while the other, the supernatural portion, Good, gods, angels, demons, etc, are fictional.
Did I conflate the (probably distorted) factual parts of the bible with the supernatural elements? I just said that I would bet that a lot of the bible stories are based in real events. I also mentioned my belief that the writers took liberty and license in juicing up the lore passed down in oral history.

I really don't think I invoked the supernatural.

I do believe the survival of the Jewish people to be a miracle based in supernatural protection and discipline but that is another subject that wasn't addressed this time.

Nobody is disputing real events. Whenever real places and events are confirmed, there is no dispute. The issue is the supernatural claims in the bible and other ancient works, Gita, Quran, etc.

If you are referring to verifiable places and events, you most likely have nobody to argue with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You still not sure how to use google? Or just scared that you'll discover the truth and blow your whole world view and realise that you're wasted much of your life in a huge mental masturbatory exercise?

Google it
verb
ˈgu gəl et

1. A demand given on 24HRCF to avoid the reality that the person giving the demand is pretending to be knowledgeable enough to understand the topic so well, they could explain it to a child, but is really unable to understand or intelligently explain, that, what they are claiming to be an absolute fact is actually a theory in which they’ve established a pre-conceived notion requiring faith of religious proportions.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Willto
“Can living cells arise from non-living chemicals?”

Evolution has nothing to do with the creation of life. It deals with how life has evolved over millions of years but makes no attempt to explain it's origin.

Good attempt at a dodge, but fact remains that that there is no evidence in the fossil record and if one lends credence to Gerd Muller’s view, there is no possibility of “Darwinian evolution” being a satisfactory or plausible explanation for evolutionary transition of kind to kind.

Do your research and learn….

Btw….. natural selection is NOT “evolution.”

Last edited by TF49; 12/07/23. Reason: Computer freezing

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Page 17 of 37 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (AKislander, 300_savage, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, Alan_C, 10 invisible), 1,570 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,573
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.