Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
oneeyedmule,

That's a pretty darn ratty binocular....

But apparently it still works!

It does John! But, with the marques and budgets being discussed here they're feeling outclassed. I can definitely see why you'd pick them for your back-up, though. They're darned good.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redhairy
I’m getting into hunting big game out west. I have already harvested a speed goat and a cow elk. My budget is $1,000. Need some input from some of you hunting guides and experienced big game hunters.

I was on a hunt a year or so ago in some pretty difficult lighting conditions. Several had descent quality optics. There were Swarovski ELs, SLCs, Pures, Leica Geovids, and I believe there were a couple pairs of Zeiss.

All three of the Swaros could spot animals around 800 yards the Leica could not. None of the lesser optics would pick them up, nor would my Leupold Mark 6 scope.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What Leica's?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My eye seem to prefer Swaro and Nikon optically but I also use Leupold and Stryka binos as well. I'm going to Sig IS binos soon as possible and I'll see how that works out. I think the stabilized binos will be that standard quite soon.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
My eye seem to prefer Swaro and Nikon optically but I also use Leupold and Stryka binos as well. I'm going to Sig IS binos soon as possible and I'll see how that works out. I think the stabilized binos will be that standard quite soon.

From what little I've read of IS bino's you most likely will be proved correct. Anything much above 8x and I need something to lean into, on etc just to keep the shake under control, one reason I really like my cheap 6x porros.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm far from an optics expert, but I had the same question, and budget as you a few years ago. I decided to go with the Sig range finding binos. I've not regretted the decision even once, I like them. If I were to make the decision again today, I would seriously consider the IS Sig's. I do not sit with optics for long periods of time, and the IS binos I think would make the extended periods less taxing on my. All that said, I don't have experiece with Swaro, Ziess, Leica to compare. ymmv.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 29aholic, 308xray, 14 invisible), 1,503 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,206
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.