Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JakeM78 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I left the house 30 minutes before sunrise, got to a spot I wanted to sit about 10 minutes later. I pulled the folding turkey lounger chair off my shoulder and set it up at the base of a tree. One of the roots was in the way and fumbled around with the chair for about a minute to get it right.

I sat down in it to make sure it was all good, then turned to my left to pick up my rifle and there was a buck, 20 yards from me watching the whole thing. As soon as I got my rifle up he made a few leaps off and I bleated with my mouth. He stopped and was facing straight at me. That was it. He ran maybe 25 yards after the shot. A doe busted out a few minutes later.

I've had several times in the past few years when I was unfolding the chair and making noise that a buck would show up within a few minutes. The most important thing about all the times this has happened is the wind was right. I'm continually reminded that having the wind right, allows for a lot of other sins. This is just the beginning of the rut so I'm holding off for a big one next. Just about the quickest hunt to date.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Nice

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cool buck and rifle! Great hunt!

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good story and congratulations!

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
👍👍

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They can be curious at times for sure!

Congrats!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Very cool buck!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You were on the X!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sounds like a fun but short hunt. Congrats.
What caliber is your ultralight Ruger?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DLSguide

Ditto^^^^

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had a buck run in on me once just after I finished climbing up a tree making all kinds of scraping sounds with my Summit tree climber.

Shortest opening day of my life.

Got back to camp and one of the old timers asked what I forgot when I opened the door.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice deer!

When I first started going Deer Hunting with my Father, years ago, I had read all about it and had bought cover scents, camo, etc.. Dad said it was all pretty much useless, the deer could smell me anyway, and if I didn't hold still, they'd see me.

"Just move slowly and deliberately, and pay real close attention to the wind, that's the only thing that beats their nose" was his advice.

He was right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, happened once when I was brushing up a tree for a possible stand site and a buck ran right up within several yards of the tree looking around. Then second day of our gun season one year I was walking around doing my version of still hunting when I came across a fresh scrape. With nothing else to do, I noisily climbed my way into a spruce tree about 30 yards down wind of the scrape and broke lots of branches doing it. Well, not 10 minutes later out runs an 8 point buck right back toward the scrape. That one came home with me.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a buck run up to the blind while I was nailing the roof on, probably thought the noise was other bucks fighting, of course I had no gun.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
JakeM78 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

Thanks, it's a 257 Roberts.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great buck and story!

I once arrived at my hunting spot with a friend, we got out of the truck and were discussing if I should move the truck with camper back a few feet to make it more level, I looked over my buddies shoulder and there was a buck about 30ft behind him looking at us, I grabbed my rifle and shot the buck, walked back and shut my truck off as it was still idling.

How does the old saying go....the fastest way to ruin a good deer hunt is to shoot a buck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JakeM78

Thanks, it's a 257 Roberts.

That makes the story even better!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have had them walk up while I was installing a tree stand or climbing with a climbing stand.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by ROMAC
I had a buck run in on me once just after I finished climbing up a tree making all kinds of scraping sounds with my Summit tree climber.

Got back to camp and one of the old timers asked what I forgot when I opened the door.

I’ve had that happen twice with young bucks sneaking in to see what was going on when I was using a climber…
My assumption being that they thought there was another buck making a rub.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ROMAC

I was just about to post the same exact thing. I’ve climbed a few times and had bucks come right in to the noise.
I climbed down one eve and was getting my gun/pack ready and a nice 10pt heard the noise and came in for a free truck ride home.
No doubt that raking trees gets their juices flowing. 👍

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,725
Posts18,475,848
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.