Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
MJones: Been on the U.S.S. Missouri battleship MANY times both in Bremerton and in Hawaii.
I was absolutely stunned to learn that some of the "bullets" the U.S.S. Missouri's 16" "guns" could fire weighed 2,700 pounds (two thousand seven hundred pounds!)!
Whilst the U.S.S. Missouri was in Bremerton they had some of those "bullets" (shells) on deck - they weighed more than a Volkswagen Beetle and I forget how many miles they could be slung - something like 27 miles. And if needed to fly further the Captain could flood some ballast tanks on the other side of the ship so they could get some more degrees of elevation for the "guns".
I was told that technique was used on multiple occasions in the Persian Gulf (IIRC).
Will not lie - I shed a tear or two each time I stood under those huge guns on the U.S.S. Missouri.
Worth seeing if ever in Hawaii.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've read stories of the naval battles of WWII and it always amazes me how many shells were fired and how far away they engaged. Seems like often there were several hundred firings during a naval battle in order to land a killing blow on the enemy. Imagine the magazine hold on the ship that had to hold all the ammo that ship could fire in a tour at sea . Did they have to return to port to restock or did they restock at sea?

My Dad was on the USS Evans (DD552) in the South Pacific during WWII. Supporting the Marines at Iwo Jima, they fired a total of 1889 rounds of 5"/38 shells in 12 hours.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A few years ago, I watched an old black and white training film on YouTube on firing those 16 inch guns.
Those turrets consisted of several stories and took around 40 men at that time working together to make those guns fire.
Pretty amazing for late 30’s, early 40’s technology.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JTrapper73
A few years ago, I watched an old black and white training film on YouTube on firing those 16 inch guns.
Those turrets consisted of several stories and took around 40 men at that time working together to make those guns fire.
Pretty amazing for late 30’s, early 40’s technology.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I toured the North Carolina a while back. Mind blowing doesn’t even begin to describe the logistics involved in supporting those 16” guns..

400+lbs of powder per shot

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by MadMooner
After this thread I spent an hour or so reading about the explosion on the IOWA.

What a disaster.

Did you get the early read where they were crucifying one poor kid, or the later one where they rescinded that?

That’s part of the disaster. What a mess of incompetence.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by 1minute
Not an onboard witness, but booms heard in DaNang were rumored to be Missouri sourced.

I heard those booms.

The USS New Jersey (BB-62) was the only battleship to see duty in Vietnam.

"USS New Jersey was the only battleship recalled to duty during the Vietnam War. She recommissioned in April 1968 and arrived off Southeast Asia in September. From then until April 1969, she conducted frequent bombardments along the South Vietnamese coast. While preparing for a second Vietnam tour, she was ordered inactivated and decommissioned in December 1969."
https://www.history.navy.mil/our-co...-ships/battleships/new-jersey-bb-62.html

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was stationed at Hickam AFB, lived in quarters that were right on the ship channel to Pearl Harbor. Carriers were impressive, but seeing the New Jersey coming down the channel was the best of sightings. Interesting factoid is that when firing all the 16 inch guns at one time in a broadside, the ship was pushed some 15 feet broadside through the water from the recoil.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yep the Showboat is impressive.

[Linked Image from history.navy.mil]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deltakid
When I was stationed at Hickam AFB, lived in quarters that were right on the ship channel to Pearl Harbor. Carriers were impressive, but seeing the New Jersey coming down the channel was the best of sightings. Interesting factoid is that when firing all the 16 inch guns at one time in a broadside, the ship was pushed some 15 feet broadside through the water from the recoil.

It doesn’t move an inch in reality……doesn’t even heel.

7.74 inch seconds if the guns were fired horizontally…..which they seldom are….if the ship was on ice….

Considering it is pushing a wall of water 850’ by 38’…….. it is a fraction of a millimeter

This from the navy

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

If the battleship suddenly moved 15 feet when a broadside is fired, every member of the crew would be knocked off his feet and many of them would be severely injured or killed. Every piece of equipment not solidly attached to a bulkhead would fall to the deck and be smashed. Every piece of china in the wardroom would be broken, and most of the radars and other electronics would be disabled by the shock.

But it doesn't:

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-022.php

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 12/07/23.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Craigster
My dad was also on the USS Evans in the Pacific during WW2.
He wouldn’t talk much about it until late in life, but had some amazing stories.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby

If the battleship suddenly moved 15 feet when a broadside is fired, every member of the crew would be knocked off his feet and many of them would be severely injured or killed. Every piece of equipment not solidly attached to a bulkhead would fall to the deck and be smashed. Every piece of china in the wardroom would be broken, and most of the radars and other electronics would be disabled by the shock.

But it doesn't:

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-022.php

Most everything on a ship is secured one way or another so it won’t fall in heavy seas. Tables in the galley and/or wardroom are usually made with ~ a 1/4” lip so dishes, etc won’t slide off the table. Most file cabinets have a bar that can be secured to the deck and the top to hold the drawers in rough weather. You won’t find too many rolling office chairs either.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It appears that the ship is moving with the recoil in this picture. Seems to be fairly dramatic.

Maybe the wind is from starboard???

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
It appears that the ship is moving with the recoil in this picture. Seems to be fairly dramatic.

It appears that way.

But it is just the high pressure washing against the side of the ship on top of the water…..like a stiff breeze.

By actual calculation…….less than a millimeter

12.15 tons(9x2700) at 2300 fps against 57,000 tons ……4691:1……..against 850’ x 35’ in water

60 gr bullet at 2300 against a 40 lb rifle …… 4666:1……sliding on a leather bag

Doesn’t move 15’……..and the guns are seldom fired horizontally

Just an end point analysis to show scale

Yes…..it is a tremendous amount of energy……….but a battleship is quite the Fat Bottom Girl

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

It appears that way.

But it is just the high pressure washing against the side of the ship on top of the water…..like a stiff breeze.

12.15 tons(9x2700) at 2300 fps against 57,000 tons ……4691:1……..against 850’ x 35’ in water

Yes…..it is a tremendous amount of energy……….but a battleship is quite the Fat Bottom Girl

Fat bottomed girl? Got pics?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

It appears that way.

Fat bottomed girl? Got pics?

Need a wide angle lens…..

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
😂

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Battleship Texas Foundation
https://battleshiptexas.org/

USS Texas (BB-35)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Texas_(BB-35)

Cheers! Bob F. smile

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (badwolf, BDR1, batch, BB3, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,056
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.