Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
People say that they worked so hard, but if you look at movies, TV programs, and illustrations of the era, all they did was sit on the porch and either shuck peas or snap beans.

Likewise, according to TV, the only thing that today's women do in the kitchen is slice carrots.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My grandma took care of livestock and drove a tractor.
Said she used to shoot pheasants and rabbits on the farm too (back when it had pheasants).

She was a cool lilttle gal.
Think of her often.

Been gone a while frown

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My great-grandmother shot and killed a black guy who was trying to break in, and buried him somewhere on the farm, back during WWI when The men were gone to war.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My grandmother had to grow the beans and spend most of the morning picking them before she could sit on the porch and shell them ,then there was the blanching and putting them in jars for the winter.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My grandmas and great grandmas were some rugged gals to put it mildly. No way would today’s women put up with the hardships they faced.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The last I remember my grandmother, she was wearing army boots to go in the barn and milk 7 cows, by hand.
She said the big red cow demanded to be milked first.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just buried my 98 year old mother yesterday. Until just a few years ago, she could work me into the ground. Never just sat around. Always sewing, working in her half acre garden, canning and freezing stuff that she just gave away to family and friends. They do not make them like her any more and the world is a smaller place because of it.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
my grand mammy kilt grizzlies by hand. had them drug back skinned before sunset

Last edited by mrmeener; 12/08/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My grandmothers grew up mostly in town. My grandfathers and their sisters grew up on small farms in Michigan. One in Alpena and the other in the thumb.

An old picture of my grandpa and my great aunt on the their northern MI farm taken in the early 1920’s.

What a different era. They both left the farm and North MI for better job opportunities and both eventually retired to and passed away in FL in the 2000’s in a completely different world from the one that they were born into.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
A family near me had a dream to buy a ranch someday, and the old woman, Jesse, shared the dream of her husband, Carl. Carl was log bucker in the days before chainsaws...with the aptly named 'misery whip'. The company, McCloud River Lbr Co paid on how much you actually cut. Carl and his partner would leave their cabin to arrive at the logging site just at first light, buck the huge pine logs all day, with a lunch break, and not return to the shack until the light failed. Carl and his partner were legends in a world of hard workers. A normal day for the other pairs was 6 or 7 hours.
Anyway, Jesse described a typical day to me, some years back. Long before first light she would rise and prepare a full breakfast and rouse the men when it was ready, and pack their lunches and water. After they left, she prepared the day's baking. As it got light she would carry water for the day, do laundry and dishes. While the baking was taking place she would nap. Then she would fill the lamps and saw oil bottles for the next day, maybe gather or split more wood. Then start preparing the evening meal, a huge affair of thousands of calories. After the men had eaten and gone to bed, she would light all the lamps, gather the big 10 foot crosscuts and begin her night job of setting and filing saws and grinding axes well into the night by lamplight. And kept it up for several years. In the height of the depression they found their dream ranch, purchased it with their savings and so far their children have not ran it into ruin. Jesse lived to age 90.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The days of my grandmothers, were harsh to my understanding. A short history. Dads side. Grandpa born 1879, Grandma born 1888. Eastern Oregon loggers and farmers.. Moms side. Grandpa born 1880, Grandma born 1889. Farmers and loggers. Times were different, work was never ending, religion and honesty bound the communities together. Skid houses raised children, cooked for crews, served as church, hospitals and school. Farms were worked in season, and logs were cut the rest of the year. Hard times to us, life to them!

5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Clarkm
The last I remember my grandmother, she was wearing army boots to go in the barn and milk 7 cows, by hand.
She said the big red cow demanded to be milked first.

Mom told that her grandmother milked the cows. The red one was always difficult. Great-grandma would come into the house and say to my uncle, Bill, "Villie, you know diese rote Kuh? Das heiBt a son-of-a-bitch!"

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
My grandmas and great grandmas were some rugged gals to put it mildly.
No way would today’s women put up with the hardships they faced.

Neither would today's men put up with the hardships they faced.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My Grandparents had the last farm on their lane in Northern , Wisconsin. G'pa was working on the Soo Line.

My Grand mother would have to tie the kids inna chair to keep them from getting burned on the wood cook stove, or other dangers. Then she would run through the woods with a axe to chop a hole in the creek for a pail of water.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hookeye
Said she used to shoot pheasants and rabbits on the farm too (back when it had pheasants).

Think of her often.

Been gone a while frown
Me and your gramms hunted pheasants together. With Steve McQueen and Paul Newman

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by mrmeener
Your about as full of schit as a Christmas turkey

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My grandparents homesteaded on the Northwest Angle (the tip of Minnesota that juts above the 49th parallel). Granddad died in the Spanish Flu epidemic, leaving grandmother with four young boys,, aged 1 to 8. She managed to raise them by herself, on a small farm along with running a store and post office.

Dale

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by hookeye

Think of her often.

Been gone a while frown
Me and your gramms hunted pheasants together. With Steve McQueen and Paul Newman

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Recall that Joe Foss was hassled by the early TSA after 911. For having a “sharp pointy object” in his carry on.
Sheboon airport security and a team of others to [bleep] dumb to realize it was his Medal of Honor.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Up through the depression, life was hell for a farm wife. What changed it the most was electricity. Light, cooking, cleaning, milking, etc. Rural electrification made it vastly easier on the women. A while back I saw a rerun of Silverado. The good looking widow, Hannah, was determined to make a go of farming new land. She said that her looks wouldn't last long but she was going for it. She was right.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Just buried my 98 year old mother yesterday. Until just a few years ago, she could work me into the ground. Never just sat around. Always sewing, working in her half acre garden, canning and freezing stuff that she just gave away to family and friends. They do not make them like her any more and the world is a smaller place because of it.
My condolences.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
And they are all blue dog democrats re-electing commies.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
My mom used to say, a man may work from sun, to sun, but a woman's work is never done.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
grand father born 1884 grand M born 1883 had 17 kids worked farms and what they could till they could homestead land and move up my mom born 1911died 2011 not only worked the farms but at 15was cooking for threshing crews that my grandfather had as they worked on farms in northern Saskatchewan. and eventually became a nurse.

Norm
ps family landed in Canada june 1664.

Last edited by norm99; 12/08/23.

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Feedback dresses.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My maternal grandmother (b. 1888?) was one of 18 children. Grandma shucked out one a year for about 20 years. They lived on a huge farm near a small community.
...and yeah, the boys worked on the farm. The girls worked in the house....until the cotton was ready to pick!
When the cotton was ready, regardless of gender, if you were old enough, or young enough ... as the case may be, you picked cotton.
I had one great aunt who never married. When asked why she never married and had kids.
"Mama might'a had those kids, but she didn't raise 'em! I did! I raised all the kids I ever intended to!" Aunt Winnie was a hoot to be around!
My mother (1921-2020) was one of 6 kids.
Her dad passed away in 1932 during the Depression. The small community supported her and 4 of her children until she could move to town.

My paternal grandmother only worked outside the home on an "as-needed" basis....which was seldom.
Grampa served in WWI and married grandma after he returned.
He was a "rig builder" in the Kilgore oil field back when drilling rigs were wooden, static and steam operated.
He was an absolute artist with a double bit axe.
He drove a truck when times got hard and even helped build 30 miles of highway when it was mostly horse drawn equipment.
He bought and paid for 160 acres of red gravel/sugar sand land in East Texas and built his own home on it.
He used to tell me, ""One of these days, it'll all be yours, and it ain't got a crying dime against it!"
After he passed, grandma and dad took care of that! 😖

My wife's paternal great grandparents settled the land we're on in the last 1904 "land rush". Such as it was!
We have the original homestead deed!
To complete the deed, he had to show an agricultural profit within 5 years.
Not many tractor on southern OK in those days.
I can't imagine breaking enough of this red clay dirt to make any kind of profit with wheat! 😳
His wife would walk 12 miles to town to sell her butter and eggs to purchase what few groceries that would buy!

Those old folks were some kind of tough!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My Dad's Mom was born in 1896 and was 4'10" & 90lbs of dynamite. Shucking corn and stringing beans is what they did when they were resting for a spell.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Feedback dresses.
Feed sack JFC

5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Feedback dresses.

And beans and fatsack. smile

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
You know folks, my Wife works as hard as they did.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I bet she does

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Both of my grandmothers started out on farms. One on a tomato farm in Homestead Florida and the other on a corn farm in Illinois. Both married my grandfathers on the promise to get them off the farm ! Both of my grandfathers were good for their promises. None of my grandparents had any nostalgia for the farm.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
Both of my grandmothers started out on farms. One on a tomato farm in Homestead Florida and the other on a corn farm in Illinois. Both married my grandfathers on the promise to get them off the farm ! Both of my grandfathers were good for their promises. None of my grandparents had any nostalgia for the farm.

Neither did my grandparents. Good factory jobs in the suburbs after WWII were a lot less work with better pay and benefits. One took a job with General Motors and the other as tradesmen with Dow Chemical.

I know that they missed parts of a rural lifestyle but none had a desire to go back to small scale farming as an occupation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We moved to the current farm in September 1962. We brought 4 milk cows with us from the farm they rented. Dad was an over the road truck driver and spent 5 days a week on the road. Mom milked the cows by hand during the week and dad on the weekends. We eventually had 6 milkers and she did them all in the mornings and we helped at night after school.

The laws on selling milk changed in 1968 so the milkers went away but we kept cattle until dad passed in 1978. Mom sold the cattle in 1979 and moved to Ames. We have rented the tillable ground since then but the pasture is growing over since we no longer have cows.

I wish I had the money for new fences and I would start running cows but being 50 miles away means I would have to do a lot of commuting or move back to the farm. The wife who grew up on a farm as well says she is not going. Sometimes the choices get that much harder instead of easier.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Feedback dresses.
You must hate otto spell!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My grandmother started life as a sharecroppers daughter in Wharton, Texas. She always swore she'd get her pistol and start robbing banks instead of ever picking cotton again. She was a small, tough woman who worked dawn to dusk her whole life and I don't believe she ever got more than a hundred miles from home. She refused to put my grandad in a home after he came down with dementia and spent her golden years caring for him. In her 70s she fell off a chair while changing a light bulb in her kitchen and broke a hip. It crippled her and in the following years she lost her husband, oldest son, and a grandson. It turned her mean and bitter in her final years, but we kids loved her and I miss her very much. My wife is cut from the same cloth, but easy living is spoiling her smile

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
You don't know many farm women, do you?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
My Mom was as conservative as a Lady cough be.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
LMAO... maybe if you live in all the highly liberal States. but elsewhere that would be the most ignorant statement I've seen on the fire for a long time...

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My grandmother was not a farmer but was a depression kid. I remember stopping in to visit on my way home from a business trip and was offered a bologna and cheese sandwich. I accepted and was provided a single piece of bologna and cheese on white bread. They were conservative in their lifestyle..

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Sadly...a bunch of them were FDR democrats.

They carried on that "loyalty" for years in a lot of cases.

Generally either commodity prices or farm programs or sometimes both will be better under democrats.

When asked, the old time FDR types would say that they owed the farm to Roosevelt.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Democrats have always been good at buying votes.

The willfully ignorant think they only buy minority votes.

Buying minority votes is a piss poor investment these days. The money gets them more return when they spend it on middle and upper class whites.

I am MAGA.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My maternal grandmother, on the right, was not a farmer. Easy life...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
My Maternal Grandma left the Czech Republic after German soldiers ate the family dog during WWI. She walked through the lines alone as a 16 year old all the way to Italy where She worked on a on boat on the way to America. She met my Czech Grandfather in Chicago. I asked her why they modified the family name and she responded that they came to America to be Americans.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
My Mom was as conservative as a Lady cough be.
Again you must hate otto spell!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by EdM

Striking resemblance.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by earlybrd
ahahah I bet you thought it was funny johnny reb

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by earlybrd
ahahah I bet you thought it was funny johnny reb
🤪

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my grandmother always worked hard on the farm and was an excellent cook ,i still mis her and my mother was a hard worker and great cook too mis her too . both always said don`t ever be a farmer life is short and farm work is to hard . but if i could do it all over i wished i would have stayed on the farm for life food was fresh and tasty and work is work. yes grandma and my mother knew how to cook and work dang those were good times on the farm .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by EdM

Striking resemblance.

I wish I still had her forearms... Lived to just shy of 102, half of which without a husband.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

Striking resemblance.

I wish I still had her forearms... Lived to just shy of 102, half of which without a husband.

Could probably still gut you like a fish at 100.

Something special about people who can smile and laugh while elbow deep in shìt.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My paternal grandmother homesteaded by herself in central Montana in 1919, after growing up on a farm in southern Minnesota. She eventually married the next-door homesteader, whose Norwegian parents had immigrated to Wisconsin when he was two. That was when the western homestead grant had doubled from 160 to 320 acres, and between their homesteads they had a a square mile, so did okay during the 1920s.

She was tougher than her husband in many ways, and a better shot, hunter and horseback rider, which may or may not involve why he shot himself during the Depression, in the office of the local Wells Fargo office where he worked.

She continued to farm the homestead, as well as teach school, and eventually became superintendent of the county school system. She was also a friend of the famous Ed McGivern, who set various shooting records. Among other things, she had Ed perform shooting demonstrations on the high school football field--which my father attended. (She also used a .22 rifle to hunt upland birds, often waiting until her husband and his buddies had missed with their shotguns before shooting.)

She was also the first person to climb the highest local mountain. But that was apparently partly because nobody had ever wanted to before.

She passed away when I was eight, but got to know her pretty well before then.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

Striking resemblance.

Could probably still gut you like a fish at 100.

Something special about people who can smile and laugh while elbow deep in shìt.

Precisely why I cherish this photo. Her commute was about a mile across the Sacramento River from a shack in Collinsville to Pittsburg California in a skiff. My dear Mother was no different.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer;
Good evening once more, I hope the day behaved for you both and that you and Eileen are well.

Thanks for that family history, it never ceases to amaze me how truly tough some of those pioneer folks had to be.

My father in law's people came from Minnesota, his father having had enough of the tough winters there when he got stuck in the barn during a blizzard for a couple days. Of course the rest of the family was stuck in the house so they didn't know he was alive. It makes a lot of folks look twice when they hear someone moved to Manitoba to get away from the bad winter, but that part of Manitoba had less harsh winters usually.

On my late Mom's side, I never knew my Grandmother and neither did she really as she died when Mom was four.

My Grandmother on my late father's side came here with her husband, her sister in law and her husband who was AWOL from the Romanian Army. If they'd been caught in Romania, at very least the husband would have been shot. There's more to the story of their escape and it's not good, but they made it here and made a life for themselves against all odds.

Thanks again for sharing that bit of your history and Montana's history as well really.

All the best to you and Eileen as we head into the Christmas Season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mom grew up 1/2 mile from her grandparents farm, worked on and around it her
whole childhood. Swearing the whole time, "I will NEVER marry a farmer."

She met and married my dad, a logger, sawmiller, truck driver....farmer.

Learned to run tractors, log and flatbed trucks, off bear, stack and grade lumber...
Did what they needed doing.
Including cook for the crews and can beans!
Then running the Huckster route selling eggs and butter.

My wife grew up in a trailer park, couldn't drive a manual transmission.
Now has a CDL, (used to run a 13), can stack wood, fire, cut, and wrap deer meat, learned canning, making sauerkraut, gardening...

Our 20 year old daughter is engaged to a drywaller.
I keep telling him to take her to small side jobs.
He thinks she is too fragile to do anything! 🤣🤣🤣
She tightened him up!
Learned to do light work,
he won't try changing things up to use her.

We cut a road open recently, she showed up after her workday.
Throwing wood off the road, moving rocks....
The dimwitt was shocked, couldn't believe that 120 pound girl was
doing that work.

"You got a lot to learn about our women boy. They'll cook you breakfast,
work beside you all day, then fix supper while you rest."

Sunday they will get prettied up and make you look better walking into church.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember Mama cookin' on the ground.

Name that tune

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Ma once nearly beat a peddler to death with a live chicken... no? wait!.. that was Tom Joads Ma... seriously tho, my Irish Gramma once chased a Preacher off the farm during the depression... suckin' ass for free garden vegetables...

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Morewood

Name that tune

Daddy Sang Bass?

Was the name or was it something else?

Edit...no...that wasn't the song.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 12/08/23.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahaha!

Looked it up. I was kinda close.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mama’s got a squeeze box daddy gets no sleep

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Morewood

Name that tune
Daddy Frank sang by Merle Haggard

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Well the kids don't eat and the dog can't sleep, there's no escape from the music in the whole damn street.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both of my grandmothers were farm wives helping on the farm in in Iowa.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HawkI
Well the kids don't eat and the dog can't sleep, there's no escape from the music in the whole damn street.
Who did that song...

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Guitar, a squeeze box, a fiddle, a bow. Little band-a-playin every song they know.

Last edited by Cecil56; 12/09/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Mama’s got a squeeze box daddy gets no sleep

Hoo ?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The Who.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both of my grandmothers seemed to be working on something all day.

One owned a ran a farm while raising 3 children after losing her husband right after the last child.

It was a much different time than now.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
My mother in law grew up on a farm, the third of 11 children. She always preferred being on a tractor or in the barn to working in the house. At 19 she married my father in law and helped run the family business until my wife and her brother took over. She's now 86 and works for the town clerk and court system. My wife is trying to get her to cut back to 3 days a week.

My paternal grandmother was born in 1900 and died in 1995. She divorced my grandfather in the late 20s because, like many if not most of the men in my family, he was a drunk and a philanderer. She ran the farm until WWII at which point she sold it and went to work in a defense plant, staying there until she retired in 1965. She'd kept some acreage when she sold the farm and always had a huge truck garden. She also always had some horses around for us. She kept an old Savage 24 .22/.410 by the back door and, whenever she thought there might be prowlers around, would let fly with a couple of loads of shot out across the horse pasture. She also always kept us grandkids in .22 ammo. The family always stayed on good terms with the owners of the original farm and we boys ran loose all over the hills. We loved to stay there, she never put all the (unreasonable to us) behavioral constraints on us that our parents did.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
FDR solidified his support during the depression by extending it for at least seven years while convincing the public he was working for them. He just about destroyed the family farm and replaced it with big business. His monetary policies during the depression made banks hold larger cash reserves and in order to comply they had to call in solvent loans which destroyed businesses and put more people in the bread lines. He introduced us to socialism with social security. He managed to convince the voting public that he was a savior and they rewarded him with four terms. When he died late in the war many service men cried because he was the only president they had ever known and they were convinced he had prosecuted the war almost by himself.
Early America was much different than now. We have grown fat and happy. We are far more dependent on government than anyone ever was. We went from a agrarian society mostly to a manufacturing powerhouse which started to decline as government took charge and complicated manufacturing with restrictive rules, regulations, licensing and fees. My parents and extended family's parents were convinced FDR was a savior because they had suffered the hard times of the depression and thought his government work programs saved America. It was the greatest hoax America ever suffered until the election of 2020.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My grand mother was the best fish catcher and cleaner she would get on anyone who didnt get all the meat when cleaning them. And the best cook ever. I also remember many days shucking corn and snapping beans on the porch. That was bettertimes in my opinion.

Be reasonable. Do it my way!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The great grandmas and grandmas I grew up with - the many old aunts and their friends - were a completely different breed of women than most of the 20 to 35 year old trash roaming around today. By comparison, they were highly principled and disciplined, unselfish, hard-working and committed to do what needed to be done to make it all work for their own.

Don't count on easily finding one of those today. Sad and sorry, but so very true.

Wanna talk about the guys?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I saw my mother outshoot all the men with a High Standard 22 in 1964
I saw my wife outshoot all the men at trap with a 12 ga Rem 1100 in 1977

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
The Who.
that's what i said... Who did that song...

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
One of my grandmothers was born on the ground on a homestead in 1890. Her mother was a breed who as a child was at the Little Bighorn.
I sat with my grandmother before she passed in the evenings watching the news with the clips of the challenger and moon stuff happening.
Young country we live in.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Osky
One of my grandmothers was born on the ground on a homestead in 1890. Her mother was a breed who as a child was at the Little Bighorn.
I sat with my grandmother before she passed in the evenings watching the news with the clips of the challenger and moon stuff happening.
Young country we live in.

Osky

Yup.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Three of my Great GrandMothers were farmers / ranchers wife’s. They picked and hoed cotton, plowed fields behind mules, worked cattle, rode horses, milked cows. raised and canned their own food, cooked and raised children and had hard life’s. As did two of my Grandmothers.
They were strong God fearing woman who could out work most of today’s men, and still cook a huge meal after a hard day’s work.
I was fortunate enough to have known those three.

I still have one of thems old cast iron skillets that she fried huge Sunday chicken dinners in, and the last quilt she made when she was 90. She lived to be 94.
I also have the baby quilt she made for me in 1960. The last one she made for a Great grandchild.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 14,808 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,092
Posts18,541,720
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.