Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
People say that they worked so hard, but if you look at movies, TV programs, and illustrations of the era, all they did was sit on the porch and either shuck peas or snap beans.

Likewise, according to TV, the only thing that today's women do in the kitchen is slice carrots.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My grandma took care of livestock and drove a tractor.
Said she used to shoot pheasants and rabbits on the farm too (back when it had pheasants).

She was a cool lilttle gal.
Think of her often.

Been gone a while frown

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My great-grandmother shot and killed a black guy who was trying to break in, and buried him somewhere on the farm, back during WWI when The men were gone to war.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My grandmother had to grow the beans and spend most of the morning picking them before she could sit on the porch and shell them ,then there was the blanching and putting them in jars for the winter.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My grandmas and great grandmas were some rugged gals to put it mildly. No way would today’s women put up with the hardships they faced.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The last I remember my grandmother, she was wearing army boots to go in the barn and milk 7 cows, by hand.
She said the big red cow demanded to be milked first.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just buried my 98 year old mother yesterday. Until just a few years ago, she could work me into the ground. Never just sat around. Always sewing, working in her half acre garden, canning and freezing stuff that she just gave away to family and friends. They do not make them like her any more and the world is a smaller place because of it.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
my grand mammy kilt grizzlies by hand. had them drug back skinned before sunset

Last edited by mrmeener; 12/08/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My grandmothers grew up mostly in town. My grandfathers and their sisters grew up on small farms in Michigan. One in Alpena and the other in the thumb.

An old picture of my grandpa and my great aunt on the their northern MI farm taken in the early 1920’s.

What a different era. They both left the farm and North MI for better job opportunities and both eventually retired to and passed away in FL in the 2000’s in a completely different world from the one that they were born into.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
A family near me had a dream to buy a ranch someday, and the old woman, Jesse, shared the dream of her husband, Carl. Carl was log bucker in the days before chainsaws...with the aptly named 'misery whip'. The company, McCloud River Lbr Co paid on how much you actually cut. Carl and his partner would leave their cabin to arrive at the logging site just at first light, buck the huge pine logs all day, with a lunch break, and not return to the shack until the light failed. Carl and his partner were legends in a world of hard workers. A normal day for the other pairs was 6 or 7 hours.
Anyway, Jesse described a typical day to me, some years back. Long before first light she would rise and prepare a full breakfast and rouse the men when it was ready, and pack their lunches and water. After they left, she prepared the day's baking. As it got light she would carry water for the day, do laundry and dishes. While the baking was taking place she would nap. Then she would fill the lamps and saw oil bottles for the next day, maybe gather or split more wood. Then start preparing the evening meal, a huge affair of thousands of calories. After the men had eaten and gone to bed, she would light all the lamps, gather the big 10 foot crosscuts and begin her night job of setting and filing saws and grinding axes well into the night by lamplight. And kept it up for several years. In the height of the depression they found their dream ranch, purchased it with their savings and so far their children have not ran it into ruin. Jesse lived to age 90.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The days of my grandmothers, were harsh to my understanding. A short history. Dads side. Grandpa born 1879, Grandma born 1888. Eastern Oregon loggers and farmers.. Moms side. Grandpa born 1880, Grandma born 1889. Farmers and loggers. Times were different, work was never ending, religion and honesty bound the communities together. Skid houses raised children, cooked for crews, served as church, hospitals and school. Farms were worked in season, and logs were cut the rest of the year. Hard times to us, life to them!

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Clarkm
The last I remember my grandmother, she was wearing army boots to go in the barn and milk 7 cows, by hand.
She said the big red cow demanded to be milked first.

Mom told that her grandmother milked the cows. The red one was always difficult. Great-grandma would come into the house and say to my uncle, Bill, "Villie, you know diese rote Kuh? Das heiBt a son-of-a-bitch!"

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
My grandmas and great grandmas were some rugged gals to put it mildly.
No way would today’s women put up with the hardships they faced.

Neither would today's men put up with the hardships they faced.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My Grandparents had the last farm on their lane in Northern , Wisconsin. G'pa was working on the Soo Line.

My Grand mother would have to tie the kids inna chair to keep them from getting burned on the wood cook stove, or other dangers. Then she would run through the woods with a axe to chop a hole in the creek for a pail of water.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hookeye
Said she used to shoot pheasants and rabbits on the farm too (back when it had pheasants).

Think of her often.

Been gone a while frown
Me and your gramms hunted pheasants together. With Steve McQueen and Paul Newman

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by mrmeener
my grand mammy kilt grizzlies by hand. had them drug back skinned before sunset
Your about as full of schit as a Christmas turkey

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My grandparents homesteaded on the Northwest Angle (the tip of Minnesota that juts above the 49th parallel). Granddad died in the Spanish Flu epidemic, leaving grandmother with four young boys,, aged 1 to 8. She managed to raise them by herself, on a small farm along with running a store and post office.

Dale

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by hookeye

Think of her often.

Been gone a while frown
Me and your gramms hunted pheasants together. With Steve McQueen and Paul Newman

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Recall that Joe Foss was hassled by the early TSA after 911. For having a “sharp pointy object” in his carry on.
Sheboon airport security and a team of others to [bleep] dumb to realize it was his Medal of Honor.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Up through the depression, life was hell for a farm wife. What changed it the most was electricity. Light, cooking, cleaning, milking, etc. Rural electrification made it vastly easier on the women. A while back I saw a rerun of Silverado. The good looking widow, Hannah, was determined to make a go of farming new land. She said that her looks wouldn't last long but she was going for it. She was right.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (204guy, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 222ND, 160user, 47 invisible), 13,240 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,128
Posts18,542,363
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.