Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just bought another B&C Stock for my SS Rem 700 Mountain Rifle. Was hoping that they had thinned down the pistol grip since the last one I purchased but it still fits my hand like a plow handle.

Anyone ever slimmed one of these down in the pistol grip area? Just wondering how much I can remove to give the feeling of a Rem 700 in the grip but maintain structural integrity.

Thanks!
Geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You can do really almost anything you need to do - from slimming it down, moving it left, right, forward, or rearward. You're sculpting and/or building up as necessary with epoxy or fiberglass. I do alot of pistol grip modifications for those who have general control issuse due to parkinsons, MS, etc. or more specific problems such as age-related lost of strength in the lower fingers, arthritis in the hand, all the way to compensating for partial or complete amputations. As long you properly reinforce the mods, there's no loss of structural integrity in the stock. Depending on the actual mod, I use fiberglass resin, epoxy resin, or epoxy putty. In some cases I will actual imbed aluminum rod/bar or epoxy/fiberglass tubing, rods, and "cloth". For general shaping I use homemade sanding blocks, wood tongue depressors, and dowel stock wrapped with adhesive 60-80 grit. I also use the little Gator/Zip Micro sponge sanding blocks with velcro sandpaper.

Last edited by Offshoreman; 12/08/23.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Offshoreman

Could you post a few pictures of some of your work. I would like to see what can be done.
I find it interesting.

Thanks

Hal

Last edited by HalH; 12/09/23.
GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Offshoreman, you should have my email address now.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Suggest you find a stock that feels right to you, then copy it, if the 700, the cheapo black platic 700 stocks are not that expensive, but they are have pretty much the same deminsions as the 700 wood. Get one copy it and then sell it...inexpensive pattern.

With a duplicator, I regularly cut one end as an X then cut the other end as a Y. You can do the same by by sight and measurements.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1minute, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,529
Posts18,472,680
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.