Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 37 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 36 37
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Science is demonstrable and testable, and willing to be challenged and corrected, faith is not. Your unwillingness to accept this is demonstrable and testable, and unable to be corrected - you need better education, but it's faith to think that this will ever happen.
Understandable reaction from a zealot when their faith is questioned and a good example of the before-mentioned perversion of science.

If your level of willful ignorance and sanctimonious tone is what higher education provides, I’m glad I stopped when I did (assuming you’re not the undergrad of Google U. that you appear to be).

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by RayF
Originally Posted by DBT
Evolution is a fact. Species in fact adapt and evolve. Theory is used to understand the means and mechanisms and process of evolution: theory is the how of it.
Not by the rules and definitions of real science. Again, theories can change. Facts do not.

I suggest that you read what I said again. This time more carefully.
No need. The response was appropriate, accurate and precise.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Evolution is a fact. Species in fact adapt and evolve. Theory is used to understand the means and mechanisms and process of evolution: theory is the how of it.
Not by the rules and definitions of real science. Again, theories can change. Facts do not.

Only in your imagination. Reality is a different matter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Q: Can a fact change?
A: No.

Q: Can a theory change?
A: Yes.

Seems pretty straight forward and unimaginative. I understand it doesn’t allow for the rhetoric required to fuel debate, but its the truth. Verbal kung-fu only discredits the writer.

You really, really, really believe in the Theory of Evolution. You are certain that it is real. Its cool. Nobody’s judging your belief.

Its just not a fact. That’s reality.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hillestadj

But Satan tricked Walker into putting that trigger in it. That’s why God sent Timney. Trust in Timney.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was asked a similar question while working in an UG coal mine in AL. I was asked about the age of the coal, which led to religion, which led to my response. "I can believe in Santa Claus too, doesn't mean I'm right".

They still can't determine/agree how old the Pyramids and Sphinx are. Most likely because the real answer is going to upset some "important" people in various lines of work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The notion that you can’t prove a negative is absolutely false. When someone says, "You can't prove a negative," what they really mean is that you cannot prove that something does not exist. And that is simply false.

We can establish beyond a reasonable doubt that a Santa Claus (for example) who lives at the North Pole and has an employment force of elves making toys in a toy factory there, and who delivers those toys all over the world in a single night via a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer, does not exist.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by antlers
The explanation of how gravity operates is still a theory, even though the presence of gravity is very clearly observed.
I have never gotten a clear explanation of the cause of gravity although as you say it ''is very clearly observed''.

I asked a neighbor friend to explain what caused gravity and he said it was the spinning of the earth. I said that didn't seem right, that a spinning tire throws mud off. It doesn't hold it on. I have a son who is a bona fide genius in many things and he attempted to explain it but really it amounted to "we don't know for sure".

Gravity is a force of nature and is a good example to give an atheist that doesn't believe in something he cannot see. You can bet your a$$ he believes in gravity.

Here you go.

Warning. It will make your brain hurt:

Part 2

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 12/08/23.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
The explanation of how gravity operates is still a theory, even though the presence of gravity is very clearly observed.
I have never gotten a clear explanation of the cause of gravity although as you say it ''is very clearly observed''.

I asked a neighbor friend to explain what caused gravity and he said it was the spinning of the earth. I said that didn't seem right, that a spinning tire throws mud off. It doesn't hold it on. I have a son who is a bona fide genius in many things and he attempted to explain it but really it amounted to "we don't know for sure".

Gravity is a force of nature and is a good example to give an atheist that doesn't believe in something he cannot see. You can bet your a$$ he believes in gravity.

Here you go.

I watched it. I don't think he came up with the cause of gravity. It just is.

Last edited by Hastings; 12/08/23. Reason: added word

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The notion that you can’t prove a negative is absolutely false. When someone says, "You can't prove a negative," what they really mean is that you cannot prove that something does not exist. And that is simply false.

We can establish beyond a reasonable doubt that a Santa Claus (for example) who lives at the North Pole and has an employment force of elves making toys in a toy factory there, and who delivers those toys all over the world in a single night via a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer, does not exist.

you take that back about Santa!!!! i's seen it on TV and the TV people don't lie!!! wink

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Here you go.

I watched it. I don't think he came up with the cause of gravity. It just is.

It's not a simple subject. That account has almost 400 videos, and they build on each other. Often you'll need to watch the previous 10 to understand the one you're watching.

If you truly want to understand it, you'll have to put in some work, or, you can go with "it just is", or "God did it", or "magic".

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Q: Can a fact change?
A: No.

Q: Can a theory change?
A: Yes.

Seems pretty straight forward and unimaginative. I understand it doesn’t allow for the rhetoric required to fuel debate, but its the truth. Verbal kung-fu only discredits the writer.

You really, really, really believe in the Theory of Evolution. You are certain that it is real. Its cool. Nobody’s judging your belief.

Its just not a fact. That’s reality.

So there you go, you didn't understand what I said about evolution, that theory is used to explain the means and mechanisms of the facts of evolution.

Where theory is a narrative used to explain the facts of evolution as a means to build a better understanding of the evolutionary process.

Which does not mean that 'evolution is just a theory,' as theists love to say.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'
Understanding gravity?

Well, first, one needs to start with Sir Isaac Newton's Principia Mathematica. Then, once one has mastered that, then move on to Einstein's General Theory of Relativity and Special Theory of Relativity, etc.

So, let's start with Newton. [Linked Image from crater-outdoors.net]

"A look at Isaac Newton's Principia Mathematica (Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy). This great physics book first published in 1687 contains Newton's laws of motion and includes work on the motion of bodies including the inverse square law. "
YouTube channel: Tibees

YouTube channel: Tibees

Cheers! Bob F. [Linked Image from crater-outdoors.net]

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In a lecture I heard last week about epistemology, the guys said many profound things. Maybe the most profound was "pear reviewed" almost guarantees no new ideas. Some of the great men of science mentioned here would not have passed "pear review".

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
“Peer”
Pear is a fruit

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
In a lecture I heard last week about epistemology, the guys said many profound things. Maybe the most profound was "pear reviewed" almost guarantees no new ideas. Some of the great men of science mentioned here would not have passed "pear review".

Maybe apple or banana review instead.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Not surprising that you found pears to be profound.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Bartlett or Bosc?

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
LBP will be here shortly to bestow his "Pear Review"

Page 21 of 37 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

473 members (1shotnokilz, 17CalFan, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,314
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.