Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
First trip to WV was OK. Savage's took 50 percent. My friends son took the first of two bucks. Said he didn't have time to look them over, so he took the one that presented the best shot. He's shooting some star wars gun in 6.5 Creed, with thumb hole pistol grip, bipod, 23X scope, and a can. The second deer ran right past my cousin's nephew and he dropped it with my uncles 1959 F in 308.In the last ten years my county has had a handful of CWD deer and we have to butcher them before taking across county lines. It was calling for freezing rain all day Tuesday, so they butchered both deer while I was still on stand.

I tried something new this year, hunted from a pop up deer stand. We put it up Friday about noon, so it sat till Monday. At 8:08 a doe came up the hill, and the second her eye's crested it, she froze. All I could see was the white patch under her chin, black nose, and ears flipping around like radar. I tried to lift my rifle once and she started stamping and blowing. At 8:19 some one on another property shot and she took off. Saw two more doe on the neighbors and that was it for me. I'm heading back up tomorrow. Still using The 1981 250 Saddle Gun I got from John. I have a doe tag, but, I'm holding out till the last minute to get a buck with it.

Here's a pic of Mark's deer, it's a 7 pointer at 105 pounds, and hid Ray Gun. The other deer was a 6 at 120 pounds, don't have pics of that one yet.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Joe I'm surprised you allowed that star War gun in Camp! Lol

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mark is the guy with the Ray Gun, just a few weeks ago he called and told me he had a hand shake deal on two 99's. A 250 and a 308. He said the shop was asking $1500 for the pair and would not separate. He offered $1300 cash, the next morning. They shook on it. Next morning they were gone. So much for a man and his word?

But, you know how that goes. That guy told me he had a local walk in customer that wanted the Malcolm. But the guy had to sell a couple first. I offered him $900 before he told me that. Then he said, "Let me give you my wife, she does the credit cards." Thanks for being the great friend that you are.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yea. And the guy told me also 900 for the Malcolm also. Then on Monday said. His wife had sold it! At Least it went to a Good Home. Lol

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Alright all you Savage Loonies. My Savage 99 trip came full circle this morning. To refresh your memory, here is how it all started.

New to me 1919 .250-3000

Some updates from that December post:

I did find a Redfield 90LT along the way-purchased here from Rick99.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Triple Deuce here was able to help me procure some brass and I was able to develop a load that performed very well in my opinion for the antique sighting system.

Four days into my deer season this year found me on the same ridge I picked up that brass on last year. Lo and behold at about 8:30 this morning a young buck and a doe stumbled within range. I had to blow the snow out of the aperture to be able to see through it. He was quartering toward me, so I held on the point of his shoulder. I heard the hit and he responded as expected, bolting about 25 yards not using that right front leg. He laid down-obviously not feeling well, but his head was up. He was facing away from me. I held at the point where his neck and his back came together. Another hit, and his head was no longer up.

The first shot shattered the shoulder, hit one of the smaller lobes of a lung, and put a startburst shaped hole in his liver. Turns out he wouldn't have taken another step. The second shot hit his spine just back of his shouldner blades. Before I went down for the inevitable work, I took that first piece of brass and laid it under the rock I was leaning against. Maybe someone else will end up going down this wonderful rabbit hole I entered last year.

I maybe was a little harsh on hunting the 99 without a sling, but I must admit it was really convenient to take it apart and put it in my backpack for the drag out.

What a community this 24 Hr Campfire is. Thanks.

LHS

Last edited by LHS905; 11/25/23.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Too tired and too computer dumb to post pic direct (sorry). Just a Doe I got with the 99F (300sav) i've been hunting with since 1975. In my defense, I only spent 1.5 days in the woods. I had a nice Buck within 100 yards of me at one point, but I couldn't get a shot. I also shot 2 Coyote (recovered one) in that time. Some meat for the freezer. -Tom

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ies/18957501/2023-sav99-doe#Post18957501

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
On the board!

Attached Images
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Do you see what I see?

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3 does.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I see at least 4.. maybe 5?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
3 does and it looks like another deer to the right of them.

Deer season was awful up here. We can't shoot does, most of us locals didn't see any deer and if someone did, it was a doe. Last winter was brutal on them.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Looks like 5 deer, a nose and eyes between the trees on the left

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I can see 5, maybe 6, and I took the pic. There were 2 bucks with them. My friend said that there is a nice 8 and 6 in the bunch. I'm going to see who is home tomorrow morning.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good luck Joe!

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/18993050/first-blood[/img]

Not our best year but we figured it was the curse of Arthur since we left our 99s behind. My son normally carries his great-grandfathers 250 but elected to take his 125 anniversary for its maiden outing. Took this chubby at a pretty good poke.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
A little assist.
[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Thanks Lightfoot - it takes me forever to figure out posting pix here

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Keystone 250
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/18993050/first-blood[/img]

Not our best year but we figured it was the curse of Arthur since we left our 99s behind. My son normally carries his great-grandfathers 250 but elected to take his 125 anniversary for its maiden outing. Took this chubby at a pretty good poke.

Nicely done

Where did you find snow in Va?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
That's on our farm in Erie Co., PA

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Three right off, start looking at horizontal back lines, I'd say five, might be six as Joe posted counting one way to the left middle between the trees. Saw a bunch like that not long ago in large sapling grove, was more there once ya got studying back lines and face outlines. Tricky critters.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, 10gaugemag, akrange, 12 invisible), 1,521 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,627
Posts18,492,938
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.