Hop To
Page 23 of 37 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 36 37
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Willto
You knew Newton and Darwin?

Not personally but there is zero doubt they existed. They are well known and well documented authors of their own works. No one even knows who wrote much of the Bible. And that is what I mean by "Know". I could have perhaps worded it better.

Numerous supernatural events (beyond the scope of posting) have evidence, but are commonly dismissed through ignorance or scientific explanation…

Really? What evidence exists for the supernatural claims of the Bible? Note: The claims of an unknown author writing a story is not evidence. Also, a book mentioning a place or a person that actually existed in no way legitimizes the supernatural claims. That is a terrible and unreliable standard to adopt. For example there is a book (and really crappy movie) called "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter". The book is set in America and mentions many real American towns and places. The central character is Abraham Lincoln a man who actually existed. It is set during the Civil War which was a real event that actually happened. So does that mean the parts about vampires are real? Of course not. The same goes for religious stories.

Are we conveniently disregarding the number of secular regimes that have slaughtered and attempted genocide???…

When and where have people been imprisoned, tortured, or killed for questioning science? Love to read about that because I missed it. Do you have a link?

What Atheist called for the Crusades?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ray F: As to marine species found high in the mountains. Check out plate tectonics. Take a pencil and figure out what 1/4 inch rise a year can accomplish in a million years.

I come up with 20,000+ feet. So Mount Everest which is still growing could easily have been in the ocean at one time.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Hastings
Ray F: As to marine species found high in the mountains. Check out plate tectonics. Take a pencil and figure out what 1/4 inch rise a year can accomplish in a million years.

I come up with 20,000+ feet. So Mount Everest which is still growing could easily have been in the ocean at one time.

Everest actually grows about 3/4" per year, and there's been years it's grown 8 or 9 inches. Regardless your principle is sound.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Everest actually grows about 3/4" per year, and there's been years it's grown 8 or 9 inches. Regardless your principle is sound.
Right, I had no figures on Everest's rate of growth other than it is still growing. The preacher where I was attending came up with the example of beds of seashells being found in a cave at 8,000 feet somewhere in Latin America as proof of the flood. I told him that was easy to explain by the elevation of land caused by plate tectonics and that a brief flood of less than a year would not likely result in beds of shells being left behind.

The last time I was there he preached that if some members were casting doubts on scripture there needed to be some consideration of expulsion.

Hebrew Roots Judaizer
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You do realize that the Crusades were entirely defensive (or, at best, counter-offensive) on the part of Christendom, right? Christendom suffered centuries of military aggression and loss of territory by Islam till the Crusades were finally called to stop their advance and (to whatever extent possible) turn them back to regain lost territory.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

It was part of the ocean floor before India (which used to be a separate small continent), and the plates supporting it, collided with southern Asia, pushing the ocean floor there up into a mountain range, thus explaining the fossils of sea life up there.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
You do realize that the Crusades were entirely defensive (or, at best, counter-offensive) on the part of Christendom, right? Christendom suffered centuries of military aggression and loss of territory by Islam till the Crusades were finally called to stop their advance and (to whatever extent possible) turn them back to regain lost territory.

The Albigensian Crusade of Christians killing Christians was defensive?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
The lecturer said something that applies here. He said most people, including scientists, ignore data that does not support their presupposition. It challenges their "reality".
That’s exactly what those who hold to a literalist interpretation of the Genesis creation narrative…like Ken Ham and Kent Hovind…do. It is clear confirmation bias to the Nth degree.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by smokepole
In a lecture I heard last week about epistemology, the guys said many profound things. Maybe the most profound was "pear reviewed" almost guarantees no new ideas. Some of the great men of science mentioned here would not have passed "pear review".

Hey ringy, you know how much the findings of a "scientific" paper are worth when the "scientific" paper can't stand up to examination and questions from the peer group?

As an old school well driller once told me, "best print it on some nice soft paper so at least it'll be useful for something."

The lecturer said something that applies here. He said most people, including scientists, ignore data that does not support their presupposition. It challenges their "reality".

This proves my point ringman. If someone circulates a draft paper and their peers have data that contradict the paper's findings, they can't ignore the data.

If it's not reviewed by their peers, they can ignore the data.

Your argument proves what I posted. New ideas don't have peers to intelligently critic the information.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
"The Crusades" refers to the wars of Christendom against Islam. If you meant some other conflict, you should have used different terminology.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Your argument proves what I posted. New ideas don't have peers to intelligently critic the information.
Critique.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
"The Crusades" refers to the wars of Christendom against Islam. If you meant some other conflict, you should have used different terminology.

Nope. The Cursades are not limited to the few well know Crusades against Islam. Most Crusades where Christians fighting Christians.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Nope. The Cursades are not limited to the few well know Crusades against Islam. Most Crusades where Christians fighting Christians.

Besides, there were no atheists during the crusades...the "brotherly love" Christians killed them whenever they could find one.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Nonsense.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RayF
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
It has been mentioned that "the theory of evolution" is a controversial subject. It is only controversial to one who enters the discussion with pre-concieved notions which make it impossible to recognize the validity of facts.
An interesting opinion, but that suggests agnostics that challenge the Theory of Evolution have preconceived notions. I believe we can all agree that is more than unlikely.

Religion does that to many a person. When your religion makes it impossible to accept natural laws and observable facts........perhaps it is time to question your religion.
Does this apply when that religion is a perverted version of science in which accepted terms, definitions and explanations are contorted to explain a belief?

No dinosaurs have ever been found above the K-T boundary line, nor have large mammals been found below the line.

Barring evolution, how does one explain the proliferation of mammalian species up to and including man over the last 66 million years?

Or do you deny the very existence of a period when reptiles dominated the Earth, and their extinction 66 million years ago?

Have you an answer for the part you ignored?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

LOL, sure they do. Think about it for more than three seconds. If there was never anyone able to intelligently critique new ideas, how would any new ideas ever be accepted?

But pray tell, are you saying creationism is a new idea?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nonsense.
He is correct. Call it what you will. There were many Catholic expeditions against other Christians.Not to mention the internal seek and destroy inquisitions.

Christianity morphed into a tyrannical dictatorial killing machine to stamp out any questions or dissent.

Hebrew Roots Judaizer
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Nonsense.
He is correct. Call it what you will. There were many Catholic expeditions against other Christians.Not to mention the internal seek and destroy inquisitions.

Christianity morphed into a tyrannical dictatorial killing machine to stamp out any questions or dissent.
He is not correct. Any student of history knows that "The Crusades" refers to a specific series of wars between Christendom and Islam. If you apply the term "Crusades" creatively to refer to something else, you must be clear that you are not referring to "The Crusades" or you will be misunderstood by every student of history.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Science is demonstrable and testable, and willing to be challenged and corrected, faith is not. Your unwillingness to accept this is demonstrable and testable, and unable to be corrected - you need better education, but it's faith to think that this will ever happen.
Understandable reaction from a zealot when their faith is questioned and a good example of the before-mentioned perversion of science.

If your level of willful ignorance and sanctimonious tone is what higher education provides, I’m glad I stopped when I did (assuming you’re not the undergrad of Google U. that you appear to be).

That seems to be the crux of your problem - if you'd just continued beyond preschool, you would be able to understand the most basic of facts and logic. Now just look at the shit show you've worked yourself up into.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prior to Darwin, biologists and naturalists had observed that evolution was evidently a reality based on overwhelming observed evidence. What Darwin contributed was an argument for the mechanism (or one major mechanism), which he called natural selection. That theory has yet to be disproved, and is highly explanatory of what science observes.

Hawkeye, with genuine respect, “Overwhelming observed evidence” is subjective, which is why it is still a theory. And while it hasn’t been disproven, it does not mean their conclusions or the theory are facts.

Not only subjective, but like Swiss cheese, science isn’t without its holes.

George Washington was killed by science of his day and today, we all look at that as barbaric. “Follow the science” lacks the recognition that science changes as more science is discovered. Science never created a single thing, it has only been an issue of discovery that has been proven wrong in some cases as more correct discoveries have come along.

This is the biggest fallacy of science, to recognize it’s imperfections…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 23 of 37 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 41 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,250
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.