Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have a SS 700 7mm Rem Mag - Into it for a pretty low price, someone has had the barrel off or at least put a different one on as it's about 90 degrees from where it should be by the factory marks.

Anyways - Already have two 7mm Rem Mags and tempted to turn this into a 7PRC. Believe the mag box is long enough, but many of you know a heck of a lot more than myself.

Thoughts/opinions?

Have a VX5 3-15x44 that needs a home, don't have a stock but plan to keep my eye out for something decent and light weight. Edge, etc?

Would like it all up at 7 1/2-8 lbs. Barrel suggestions and contour?

Thanks

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
69, When I got into 700s in the early 70's, my pal told me the 700 LA was one of the longest actions on the market. Good luck.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Mag box is more than plenty.

Should be an easy swap. I’d do a 1-8 2 contour. Minimal shank at 22-24” myself.

Last edited by beretzs; 12/09/23.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was in the same boat as you. I ended up staying 7mm rem mag and throated the barrel for 180’s I couldn’t be happier with the results. I had great Redding dies and a bunch of great brass (ADG) now I know the prc is new and I wanted it bad but when I realized it did the same job I decided to not reinvest in another set of dies and brass. And at the time last year hornady was the only option available.
Now I have 3 7mm REM Mags tuned to different bullets depending on what I’m after. BTW. 2 shots 2 deer this fall with the new rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did
Bartlein Remington Mag sporter profile at 26”
Remington 700 SS action
Factory hinged floor plate
Trigger Tech trigger
McMillan Sako Hunter stock
I’ll weigh it later tonight

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by beretzs
Mag box is more than plenty.

Should be an easy swap. I’d do a 1-8 2 contour. Minimal shank at 22-24” myself.

^this here.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I built my first 7mm RM several decades ago, because I got a 7mm barrel real cheap, like $40, asked a buddy if he had a 300 barrel, no but I have a 7mm take off from a guy, that thought he needed a 338 WM to shoot caribou, doubt it has had 20 rounds through it. Let's see it. It went home to my shop. Shoots great, guess I have four 7 RMs now, the longer bullet, by weight, for the diameter does a good job. I do have 300s and 338s, but the 7 RM gives nothing away, for a hunting gun on plains game.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input so far.

The reality of this potential project, its a want and far from a need.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
69 - don't listen to Beretz - it'll cost you money grin

Seriously, I have a 7RM inbound this week that will very likely become a 7 PRC. Beretz has been an excellent source of info as I was thinking through it. Not surprising the specs he posted above is what mine will be - depends if the 9.5 twist 7 RM will stabilize a 175 ABLR AND shoot well. If it doesn't, an 8 twist 7 PRC is on the way. My only concern with a CRF action is feeding beer can cartridges. I'm not opposed to an 8 twist 7mm Big Green.

8 lbs is a good weight for a magnum 7. I've had everything from 7.5 lb to 9 lb 7 magnums of various flavors in the past. The 7.5 lb variety are a joy to carry but suck off the bench and from prone (at least for me) - too much recoil for this geriatric woos. The 9lb versions are a joy to shoot but too much weight to carry into the backcountry. A couples ounces on either side of 8 is a sweet spot to me. If you run a brake or can, go with 7lbs if you can. And buy some good ear protection if you go braked.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTW: Shooters Pro Shop has 7mm 175 gr LR Accubonds blems on sale - an additional 20% off. I may have ordered a few yesterday whistle

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Essentially your still gonna have 2- 7 mags only difference is it will say 7PRC and you will have to buy dies and brass.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Essentially your still gonna have 2- 7 mags only difference is it will say 7PRC and you will have to buy dies and brass.

I more than understand that, but have three 7mm Rem Mags at the moment if you count this one.

Reality of it like many of us, I could probably do everything I really need to do with one or two rifles already in the safe but that's not a whole lot of fun.

Anyways - Thoughts on one of these?

https://raggedholebarrels.com/product/wilson-barrel-blanks/

22" Carbon Fiber Wilson Barrels? Not sure if they do different contour or not, but #4 wrapped? Or should I go 20", plan to have a suppressor on this one.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not a carbon guy myself. The length sounds like you’d get along okay being suppressed.

It’s tempting to just grab a new 1-8 M700 7 Rem and see what it does. I’m betting those wouldn’t stink either.

Good luck with what you decide.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 69sportfury

I more than understand that, but have three 7mm Rem Mags at the moment if you count this one.

Reality of it like many of us, I could probably do everything I really need to do with one or two rifles already in the safe but that's not a whole lot of fun.

Anyways - Thoughts on one of these?

https://raggedholebarrels.com/product/wilson-barrel-blanks/

22" Carbon Fiber Wilson Barrels? Not sure if they do different contour or not, but #4 wrapped? Or should I go 20", plan to have a suppressor on this one.
Why 3-7mms then?
Alex Wheeler has a 25PRC that is set up for LA its running 133 Bergers at 3150.
Use Hawkins DBM and it will be fine, just my thought.
Or go up to a 30 cal, maybe even 338.
Out of all the PRC's this one intrigues me especially since I have never been a PRC fan, its just a simple neck down 6.5 PRC using 6.5 PRC dies.

Last edited by sherm_61; 12/10/23.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I'm a same old same-old, tried and true kind of guy. Same rifle in .30-06 for the last 20+ years. No complaints but... Very out of character for me, I had a 7PRC built last year. Do it! It's fun. And, instead of going over the same old ground you and everyone else has been over for the last 100 years, you get to be a part of the "new" thing which is more enjoyable than I thought it would be. And, if you're going to be a part of a new, latest, greatest kind of thing, 7PRC checks alot of boxes. It's perfect for the rig you're talking about. For what it's worth my Douglas #2 at 24 inch is a tack driver. Might be the stock too. Outkast arms will put your 700 in a full length bedded NULA stock for $750 or so. Nothing wrong with the 7RM but if you like factory ammo, it might be a while or never before you see a factory box loaded with 180 ELDMs or 160 CXs.

Build it! wink

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule

I'm a same old same-old, tried and true kind of guy. Same rifle in .30-06 for the last 20+ years. No complaints but... Very out of character for me, I had a 7PRC built last year. Do it! It's fun. And, instead of going over the same old ground you and everyone else has been over for the last 100 years, you get to be a part of the "new" thing which is more enjoyable than I thought it would be. And, if you're going to be a part of a new, latest, greatest kind of thing, 7PRC checks alot of boxes. It's perfect for the rig you're talking about. For what it's worth my Douglas #2 at 24 inch is a tack driver. Might be the stock too. Outkast arms will put your 700 in a full length bedded NULA stock for $750 or so. Nothing wrong with the 7RM but if you like factory ammo, it might be a while or never before you see a factory box loaded with 180 ELDMs or 160 CXs.

Build it! wink

Great points thru out.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Isn't ALL of this want?!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
7 PRC has slightly less case capacity than the 7 Rem mag, maybe .4 grain. So, it is a sideways move to go from one to another.

If you want to play with something different, then do something very different.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've kept my SS Rem 700 7mm RM as a foul weather backup rifle to my Fancy walnut stocked .300 Weatherby, which is my favorite rife. I've also often thought of rechambering my 7 RM to 7mm Mashburn or 7mm/.300 Winchester. But last summer I fitted a Vanguard Griptonite second stock to my .300 Wby, so now I'm wondering why I should even keep my 7mm RM.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had a similar thought in that OP has multiple 7mm mags in tow. Why not take the SS 700 platform with all its room and run a 300 PRC instead of wasting valuable space. If long range and formidable sustained energy out at 700+ yards is a goal, the 300 PRC smokes the 7 PRC. The 212 gr and 225 gr 300 PRC loads leave the barrel with around 4K ft-lbs of thump. Bullet weights and BCs with that launch capability are found from .650-.800, with heavy weight bullets found at 250 gr.

Why screw around creating another duplicate magnum chambering.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,779
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.