Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by God7ogs5
Took a nine year old child deer hunting years ago. He had brain cancer. His father asked me if we could possibly get him a deer on my spot…they had not had any success at all where they hunted. Of course I told him yes indeed and I brought him to the best stand I had the next evening.

I picked up Taylor and we headed to the woods. He was extremely excited at his chances and was just beside himself. I thought to myself, it will be a major accomplishment to just let the young man forget about his troubles for a day….id glance occasionally at him and take it all in. His eyes couldn’t hide his excitement! Chemotherapy had taken all his hair and made him extremely cold natured. He was shivering even though it was about 60 degrees. Excitement perhaps?

I had to drive him up to the stand and then hike back after driving back to a spot where I could hide the truck. Dang chemo made him weak as a kitten. I had to push him up the ladder into the stand….he couldn’t climb it. Soon we saw a nice fat doe at 90 yards and he took aim with his gun….and missed. Tears welled up in his eyes and he started getting upset. I brushed it all aside and told him “we all miss…don’t worry. I have something that’ll help”. I then told him I was going to let him use my rifle, and that it was a very special rifle. “This rifle is my very best rifle Taylor. It has killed countless deer, and never, not even once, has it missed a deer (100% true statement). This rifle is the closest thing I’ve ever had that would be magic…..it just doesn’t miss and I know she’ll do her best to get you a deer!”

His eyes lit up and we continued hunting. At last light another deer showed up in the exact same spot. It was a buck, but Taylor couldn’t tell that. I pointed it out, put the rifle in a sandbag rest and told him to gently squeeze when the crosshairs were on his chest. I then started praying as hard as I could. Bang! The deer did that high jump, mule kick that probably indicates a heart shot and an easy trailing job. Taylor’s eyes welled up again. “It didn’t drop…..I missed again”. “Let’s get down and go check. Come on!”

We got there and his eyes were still wet. He was discouraged. I told him to look down at my boot…tell me what you see. Three drops of blood. His face lit up! “Did I hit it?” “”You sure did…..I want you to track it…but I’ll help”

The blood was blowing out both sides in ten feet. Ray Charles would have no problem following it. I held the flashlight and Taylor was in front of me doing his thing. Fifty yards ahead in four foot tall weeds was a deer’s butt sticking out. Taylor was hopping around. He still had no idea it was a nice buck at this point. The deer was obviously very much dead and I told him to drag “her” out. He screamed “Hey! It has antlers!” He was concentrating on the rack and couldn’t see the tears streaming down my face. Solid nine pointer. He almost couldn’t breathe. He agreed that my Jarrett 280 AI was indeed magic.

I took him home to his grandfather and got a big ol hug. Later on, I received a handwritten thank you note from him.

And I got it all, from start to finish, on video.

What a wonderful way to start my day by reading this story God7ogs5, good on you Sir!

God Bless

KB

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Godogs57-

Friend, that was special!!! Thanks

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
High Brass' first deer kill with a handgun and my one and only turkey.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Took a nine year old child deer hunting years ago. He had brain cancer. His father asked me if we could possibly get him a deer on my spot…they had not had any success at all where they hunted. Of course I told him yes indeed and I brought him to the best stand I had the next evening...

Well done sir, very well done. You're a credit to the human race.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
What a great story, GoDogs. Bless you.

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Took a nine year old child deer hunting years ago. He had brain cancer. His father asked me if we could possibly get him a deer on my spot…they had not had any success at all where they hunted. Of course I told him yes indeed and I brought him to the best stand I had the next evening.

I picked up Taylor and we headed to the woods. He was extremely excited at his chances and was just beside himself. I thought to myself, it will be a major accomplishment to just let the young man forget about his troubles for a day….id glance occasionally at him and take it all in. His eyes couldn’t hide his excitement! Chemotherapy had taken all his hair and made him extremely cold natured. He was shivering even though it was about 60 degrees. Excitement perhaps?

I had to drive him up to the stand and then hike back after driving back to a spot where I could hide the truck. Dang chemo made him weak as a kitten. I had to push him up the ladder into the stand….he couldn’t climb it. Soon we saw a nice fat doe at 90 yards and he took aim with his gun….and missed. Tears welled up in his eyes and he started getting upset. I brushed it all aside and told him “we all miss…don’t worry. I have something that’ll help”. I then told him I was going to let him use my rifle, and that it was a very special rifle. “This rifle is my very best rifle Taylor. It has killed countless deer, and never, not even once, has it missed a deer (100% true statement). This rifle is the closest thing I’ve ever had that would be magic…..it just doesn’t miss and I know she’ll do her best to get you a deer!”

His eyes lit up and we continued hunting. At last light another deer showed up in the exact same spot. It was a buck, but Taylor couldn’t tell that. I pointed it out, put the rifle in a sandbag rest and told him to gently squeeze when the crosshairs were on his chest. I then started praying as hard as I could. Bang! The deer did that high jump, mule kick that probably indicates a heart shot and an easy trailing job. Taylor’s eyes welled up again. “It didn’t drop…..I missed again”. “Let’s get down and go check. Come on!”

We got there and his eyes were still wet. He was discouraged. I told him to look down at my boot…tell me what you see. Three drops of blood. His face lit up! “Did I hit it?” “”You sure did…..I want you to track it…but I’ll help”

The blood was blowing out both sides in ten feet. Ray Charles would have no problem following it. I held the flashlight and Taylor was in front of me doing his thing. Fifty yards ahead in four foot tall weeds was a deer’s butt sticking out. Taylor was hopping around. He still had no idea it was a nice buck at this point. The deer was obviously very much dead and I told him to drag “her” out. He screamed “Hey! It has antlers!” He was concentrating on the rack and couldn’t see the tears streaming down my face. Solid nine pointer. He almost couldn’t breathe. He agreed that my Jarrett 280 AI was indeed magic.

I took him home to his grandfather and got a big ol hug. Later on, I received a handwritten thank you note from him.

You need to post that video! What happened to little Taylor?

The way life should be.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
November 1954,Dad said take the rifle and go shoot that coon the dog had had treed.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...07/tagged-my-10th-bear-today#Post3307307

This hunt had me feeling like I had bear hunting a bit figured out.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Godogs57, wow. Good on ya mate.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For me, it is likely my 2009 Montana wolf, killed during the first official season ever there after delisting so interest (and hatred) for the hunt was ridiculously high.

I don’t recall which number on the 75 wolf quota he was as far as being checked in to MFWP. 30 something maybe?

He was a SCI silver skull so I decided to officially enter him even though I am not a ‘book’ person. I have several other heads that I could enter into B&C and SCI, but just haven’t. He was the first lower 48 wolf to be entered into the books so by default he was the state record. I believe he has been surpassed now but I haven’t seen if anything bigger is officially on the Montana books or not, and really don’t care.

Runner ups are my Afognak Island Roosevelt bull elk, Alaska Dall sheep and my Montana Shiras moose. All were DIY solo (except the Afognak hunt which was DIY but not solo) and all were substantially harder hunts both physically and mentally. They didn’t however have the distinction of all the ‘firsts’ associated with that wolf.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Taking a dying, older family friend who helped raise me on a mountain lion hunt was also pretty satisfying. We got him a mature, but relatively young Tom.

He died just a few months later.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Quite the opposite here. My quarry is constantly humbling me and I do not consider myself a great hunter, just a persistent one

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
South Texas whitetail hunt at the Callahan Ranch. Spotted a nice deer feeding in a sendero that I wanted to shoot approximately 1,000 yards away about an hour and a half before sunset. My guide agreed he was a shooter but said "he's too far away". Well, he didn't know anything about my shooting experience, but I agreed, knowing darn well it was indeed too far away.
Sooo, I hopped out of the truck and using my Army stalking skills began low-crawling towards the buck. The guide was freaking out, saying "what the hell are you doing? Get back in the truck, etc." I told him "I'm going to go get that deer!"
So, I low-crawled on my belly for 1 hour and 15 minutes, slowly getting closer and closer to the deer. When the deer would put his head down to feed, I would crawl...when he raised his head, I would stop.
It was getting almost too dark to see him very well at distance and he was easing on over to the edge of the sendero, so I decided it was time to take my shot. I'm an excellent judge of distance and I estimated that I was approximately 300 yards of him, so I knew I was good to go at that distance. The buck turned and faced me dead-on and put his head down to feed once more and I pulled the trigger. Boom - flash of fire out the end of my rifle's barrel in the now almost darkness and I couldn't see sh-it anymore.
The guide came barreling down the sendero in his truck and hopped out pitching a fit for wounding the deer at such a long distance. Well, I wounded him alright - a deadly wound right there where he stood and dropped. Then the guide thought I was some sort of special fellow as he loaded my deer up and hauled a$$ back to the ranch house to show off the deer and tell all the other guides and hunters the story.
"Ain't never seen such a thing...dude low-crawled a half mile...shot him in the neck...dropped right there!, etc"
I grinned, my brother grinned. Then my brother said to my guide "He didn't mention anything to you about Army sniper school, did he?" and laughed his ass off.
I did misjudge the distance by 15 yards, though - it was 285, not 300.

Oh yeah, I had never been to south Texas before and didn't know anything about all those prickly things out there. I didn’t have the proper clothes for it and was wearing a brown fleece pullover on my stalk - I picked thorns out of my belly, wrists, forearms, and legs for a month afterwards. 😄

Last edited by Triggernosis; 12/11/23.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My most memorable hunt was a muley taken with a Ballard 45-70, blackpowder and cast bullet of my own making. Half day stalk to get from 1/2 mile to 150 yards for the shot.

Walking up to a blood puddle and legs in the air:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shot placement:

Rifle:

I look at this every day and think about how much trouble I was in for not being home in time to see my Grandsons in their costumes that Haloween evening (they've long since forgiven me):

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damn fine, JGray!

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thats a truly great story, good on ya!

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bluefish

You need to post that video! What happened to little Taylor?
Currently it is in remission. Handsome young man with a head full of hair I’m proud to say.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta say this whole season almost has me thinking I know what I’m doing. Six 3-4 hour hunts on public land, from the ground, yielded two bucks and a doe. The first buck was grunted up and crushed at 7 yards with a crossbow. The doe and second buck were a double. I had to fill an Earn-a-Buck obligation before killing a second buck, and they obliged by wandering by in perfect order. I made a poor hit on the buck, but did a good tracking job, and he was dead within 100 yards.

In reality I was very lucky to even see all the deer I viewed, aided considerably by the good work done by our DNR in turning a bunch of head-high weeds and brush into meandering food plots that provide good observation points under any wind conditions, and of course attracted the does and their love-struck suitors. Whoever does the land management for the 2nd District in WV sure did a bang-up job.

Hopefully by next season I’ll have new knee or two and be better able to roam the woods, but it’ll be hard to top 2023.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
This past 2023 season. 80 years old.Thought my elk hunting was done with. Two bad knees, bad back. Messed up lungs, problems with heart and on supplemental oxygen. I drew a muzzle loader cow elk tag in one of the worst areas in Colorado hit with winter kill.

Initially my hunting partner went with me, but due this health, he left after three days, leaving me to hunt solo. The first day I was out, I took a long nap in a sunny meadow I was so tired.

The next day, I got up at 2:30, had breakfast,fed and saddled the mule, and rode in about 4 miles, getting to my hunt area about 1/2 hour before light.

I tied up my mule and using my shooting sticks for a cane, I walked about 75 yards to a spot where I have killed 2-3 cows in the past.

I settled in and about 15 minutes there was enough light that I could barely see through my binos. As I scanned a small meadow, I saw three shapes feeding across it. Wind was blowing towards me, so I set up my shooting sticks and kept watching them until I could see the FO sights.They were approaching the edge of the meadow, and I hurried the first shot and missed. The smoke cleared and they were looking all around. I was able to reload, took a better rest, picked out what looked to be about a two year old cow and sent a 380 gr Powerbelt on it's way.

In a few seconds, the smoke cleared and there wasn't an elk in sight. I thought, well at least I saw elk and got a shot, but figured I better go check for blood. I reloaded, put my small day pack on, fixed my shooting sticks, and hobbled the 80 yards or so towards where I last saw them.

Weeds were about thigh high and it took me a bit, but as I was getting close, I spied a brown hump and darn if the elk wasn't laying there dead. Talk about being surprised..

I took a few photos and figured I would use the no gut method of breaking it down. First problem was there were no trees close enough to tie her legs off to and I did not have the strength to roll her over. So I split the hide up the center of the back, peeled it down as far as Id could, cut off the shoulder, and that side of the back strap.With the hind leg up over my shoulder, I worked the hind quarter free.

I carry a 10 x 10 sheet of thin plastic with me and pulled the two quarters to the nearest tree about 75 feet away and layed them out on the plastic.

I still could not move what was left, and I had to gut the elk and cut off the head. With that, I was able to roll her over and do the opposite side, plus cut out the tenderloins. I was about used up and had to sit on the ground while I cut out the hip joint of the last hind quarter.

By this time,the battery for my portable O2 unit went dead (3 hours). I got all the meat on the plastic, in the shade, and hobbled back to the mule.

I had a deal with an outfitter friend that she would pack any elk out for me, so I grabbed anoher battery from my saddle bag, mounted up, and returned to camp four miles away. Then to the outfitter's base, another two miles.

She wasn't there, so I left a note, went back to camp to get game bags and returned to the elk carcass. With a lot of struggling/grunting I got the quarters in the bags and hung, but only about six inches off the ground.

Nothing left to do there, so I mounted up and headed back to camp. About half way there I met the outfitter and her foreman.They were on their way to pack my elk out. Back to the elk we went and in about 20 minutes they had the meat loaded and on our way. Down off the mountain we split up. Me back to camp and her back to base to put the elk in her walk in cooler. Before leaving she asked me to come down for dinner that evening. It was already evening!

Back to camp, I got cleaned up. Me and the mule went the two miles to the base camp to enjoy a fabulous dinner along with her staff. What great lady and staff. ( J bar H outfitters).

I got back to my camper about 9:30, cranked up the generator to get my 02 concentrator going and recharge the batteries.

It was an eighteen hour day. I rode about 25 miles going back and forth. Something I never thought I could do again. I have killed over fifty elk in my 50 years of hunting. In 2018 I killed my last 6x6 bull on a solo hunt, but this one stands out. I am thinking I might even try it again next year, if the good Lord sees fit to keep me going.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Good stuff brother!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1minute, 222Sako, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,913
Posts18,498,314
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.