Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rabst
Several states outlaw the sale of Mammoth ivory, including New York, New Jersey, California, Nevada, and Hawaii. Others are considering it.

Let me guess...they are worried about extinction.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have some ivory pieces. My father worked for the State Dept in Liberia in the ‘70’s and picked up these two carvings there. The one on the left is 10” tall.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This carving is from the far east and is my favorite, very detailed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My custom .35 Whelen Mauser has elephant ivory forearm tip and grip cap. Don't know anything about the history of the stuff. There is an engraving on the floor plate that says BIG RED 1935 so I think that's when the rifle was built. I bought it at a gun show estate sale.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SS336
I have some ivory pieces. My father worked for the State Dept in Liberia in the ‘70’s and picked up these two carvings there. The one on the left is 10” tall.

Those first two are the wrong color.... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

???? Might be the image taken in my dinning room. It is a camera phone.
Pretty sure it’s ivory, but it sure isn’t plastic. Maybe bone?
I guess you would know more than me.

Last edited by SS336; 12/09/23.
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Look for V shaped cross hatching on the ends of the pieces. Sometimes you might need a magnifying glass. Check the ‘net there are lots of pictures of the Schreger’s (sp) lines.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just try to buy something on Ebay that is made of ivory.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Me thinks he was just kiddin' about race issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Just try to buy something on Ebay that is made of ivory.

ETSY too...

Etsy.com stops letting Alaska Native artists sell ivory work

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A policy intended to deter the illegal trade of ivory and items made with the parts of endangered or threatened animals led the online sales website Etsy to remove such artwork sold by Alaska Native artists, who can legally use ivory in their pieces.

U.S. Sen. Dan Sullivan asked the chief executive officer of Etsy.com to reconsider its policy to allow Alaska Natives to keep selling products made from materials such as walrus tusks or from petrified wooly mammoth remains found in the nation’s most remote state.

Sullivan said he assumes the basis of the policy is to combat elephant poaching in Africa and India and that he supports such efforts.

“However, your policy fails to recognize that Alaska Natives are explicitly authorized under federal laws, the Marine Mammal Protection Act, to work with and sell walrus ivory, whale tooth and bone, and other non-elephant ivory,” the Alaska Republican wrote in a letter sent Friday to the Brooklyn, New York-based company.

Etsy has not responded to the letter, according to Sullivan spokesman Matt Shuckerow.

In an email to The Associated Press, Etsy said it can no longer allow Alaska Natives to sell animal products such as ivory but that their accounts remain active.

“We have updated our policies to reflect the increasingly global nature of our business and our community,” the company said. “With increased global regulation surrounding ivory and animal products, we can no longer accommodate such products produced by Native Alaskans in our marketplace.”

Sullivan heard about the issue from Alaska Native leaders and a handful of artists whose accounts were disrupted, Shuckerow said. In his letter, Sullivan notes that Alaska Natives have used animal products for subsistence, survival and cultural expression for thousands of years.

Marcu Gho, an Inupiat Eskimo who lives in Juneau, is among the affected artists. He had sold gloves, key chains, scarves and other artwork made from sea otter fur for about five years until then items were delisted Tuesday.

He said that occurred after he began a conversation with Etsy officials last week in response to social media posts he saw from other artists complaining about such problems.

Gho said he had been warned that it appeared his artwork was derived from Alaska’s northern sea otters. A portion of that population is listed as threatened but it doesn’t include southeast Alaska otters, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

“In the past, we have allowed an exemption for Alaska Natives,” a company official wrote in an email to Gho. “However, we’ve determined that we are unable to make exceptions for these items in our marketplace going forward. Removing this exemption helps us create a single global policy prohibiting endangered or threatened animals.”

Gho said he explained the difference to the official, to no avail. The experience has left him frustrated that he can’t share this part of his culture. He also believes the policy perpetuates a perception that Alaska Natives are barbarians.

“When they’re telling me that they don’t feel it’s acceptable that I sell these things, I take it a little bit more personally,” he said.

LINK

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I bought this at a trinket shop in Oklahoma about 30 years ago.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
There is a section in the rule called the deminimis exception that often allows for the sale of firearms that wear ivory grisly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Festus
I bought this at a trinket shop in Oklahoma about 30 years ago.

Leftovers from buttonmaking... once saw a packing crate of those for sale at auction.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Robb10238
There is a section in the rule called the deminimis exception that often allows for the sale of firearms that wear ivory grisly.

Many older guitars have ivory inlay on the fret boards.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Think you might be right Jeff. Humor is sometimes missed by me. Rockinbbar has a dry sense of humor that I missed.
Originally Posted by JeffA

Me thinks he was just kiddin' about race issues.

I think you’re right Jeff, I get it now. Rockinbbar has a dry sense of humor that is much more developed than mine.
That doesn’t take much. 😁 didn’t mean to be so dense.

Last edited by SS336; 12/09/23.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Used to live in Nome. Had a plane. Natives would hunt walrus in the spring. Wounded animals would die and wash upon the Seward Peninsular beaches. If you waited for the right storm and flew the beach after, it was sometimes profitable. Never bothered registering what I found. One year there were a lot of gray whales. Orcas played he'll on them. Several washed up on the beach. Along with carving Ivory, natives also carved whale bone. Made some money selling whale bone I scavenged from the beach.
Another year a large adult Orca washed up. I was able to land near it and attempted to chop out a tooth with my axe. Jaw bone was too tough and couldn't get thru it. I came back later with a saw but the ocean had reclaimed the dead Orca. It was gone.

Last edited by martentrapper; 12/09/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use to do a lot of Spring time beachcombing via skiff and 4 wheeler in search of dead marine mammals in the Bristol Bay region.
Prevailing winds and tides made particular stretches of beach likely spots for Walrus that might wash ashore from the Round Island Sanctuary off the coast of Togiak.

It was hard to beat the fly guys to a tusk, I was seldom first to a carcass.

[Linked Image from adfg.alaska.gov]North Cape of Round Island

[Linked Image from adfg.alaska.gov]Pacific walruses spend the winter on ice in the Bering Sea. When the ice recedes in the spring, females with young migrate northward to the Chukchi Sea. Some adult males migrate to Bristol Bay where they rest on land between foraging bouts.

Info about Walrus Hunting

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I aint open your links but I seen some chit on the youtube other night. These lardass walruses was humpin it up some rock face and hurling themselves off like 300 ft down onto some jagged rocks. Walrus suicide because the living conditions didnt suit them. lol
Plop boing and splat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
I aint open your links but I seen some chit on the youtube other night. These lardass walruses was humpin it up some rock face and hurling themselves off like 300 ft down onto some jagged rocks. Walrus suicide because the living conditions didnt suit them. lol
Plop boing and splat.

I figured you'd be all over one of these...

He's hustling his ivory and collectable coins from his remote village there in Alaska.

He's got his contact info posted on his YouTube site.
His posts are real current...

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Stxhunter: I have a few items I suspect are "legal ivory" and I keep them on the down-low.
Traditional valued working Americans like myself would be "crucified" (both financially and jail time wise) if found guilty of even the most minor of offenses here in todays "America"!
Better safe than sorry.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of you guys think you're tough guys with this S. H.iitt.
Until they roll into your driveway.
It ain't fughking good.

Proud NRA Life Member
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.