Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We have a Golden Jubilee under the shed. I asked the wife if she wanted to sell it and she said to restore it. Itโ€™s what she learned to drive on. Got me to thinking, itโ€™s what I learned to drive as well. I used to spend the summers on her parents dairy farm.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
GB1

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Had a 1973 BMW 2002. Developed a similar issue. Chased it for ever. Turned out to be the tach was grounding the points / distributor. Disconnect everything but the ignition and then check the switch as mentioned earlier.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
8N Fords were originally 6 volt, Positive ground, with a DC generator charging system. Many have been converted to 12 volt negative ground with an alternator charging system.

What setup does your 8N have?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Are you sure the tractor is still positive ground? It looks like most people have converted them to 12V negative ground to be more like modern stuff.

This is the original.

[Linked Image from fordfiringorder.com]

Basically, when the points in the distributor close, it completes the circuit and lets current flow through the primary of the coil. When the points open, it stops the flow of current, the field collapses, and a high voltage is created in the secondary winding of the coil. This voltage should be capable of jumping at least an 1/8 inch gap in open air. If you are getting no spark from the coil then either the points are not allowing the current to build up or the coil is bad.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I appreciate the interest, Its still old school

6v battery, 6v starter, 6v coil

The picture must be the side mounted distributor, mine is the front loaded

it looks like this and the square coil attaches to it via that clip

[Linked Image from old20tractorparts.com]

Its actually easier to find the 12v version than the 6v, at least for me online

Last edited by KFWA; 12/09/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was unaware that a 6V electronic ignition system was available (aftermarket) for the 8n. My '52, side mount distributor, was converted to 12v before I got.
FWIW, the 8n and 9n were somewhat notorious for poor ignition switches. While they may shut off the engine, they did not completely disconnect power to the coil and condenser. The same thing happened in reverse, so to speak. Turn the key but no power is sent to the coil or condenser. Can't remember how many I put new switches in the 2 8n's I grew up with. Finally just put rugged toggle switches in the place of the keyed ignition switch.

Added....for some reason I was under the impression that the plug wires used with the conventional ignition were a different than those used with electronic ignition.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by WiFowler
I was unaware that a 6V electronic ignition system was available (aftermarket) for the 8n. My '52, side mount distributor, was converted to 12v before I got.
FWIW, the 8n and 9n were somewhat notorious for poor ignition switches. While they may shut off the engine, they did not completely disconnect power to the coil and condenser. The same thing happened in reverse, so to speak. Turn the key but no power is sent to the coil or condenser. Can't remember how many I put new switches in the 2 8n's I grew up with. Finally just put rugged toggle switches in the place of the keyed ignition switch.

The ignition switch on an 8N just completes the connection between 2 wires. Mine went bad and I replaced it with a toggle switch.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Bristoe

The ignition switch on an 8N just completes the connection between 2 wires. Mine went bad and I replaced it with a toggle switch.
๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰^^^hint

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I don't know the ins and outs but the coil was getting power with the key on and off today. Since I wanted power to it, I didn't really care to check if that was correct or not.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KFWA

I don't know the ins and outs .
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Try this for schits n giggles jump the positive battery terminal to your starter ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Last edited by earlybrd; 12/09/23.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You say you are getting power to the coil. How are you measuring that? Remember Positive ground is odd.

With the key on, if you measure across the two small wires on the coil, you should have six volts when the points are closed and zero volts when the points are open.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Try a new condenser before throwing in the towel. A bad condenser will give you a no spark condition.
This ^^^

Just because it is new doesn't mean it's not junk.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Did you remember to install the rotor?

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
15 minutes... Tops...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by KFWA
so the old 8n had spark but the guy that sold it to me said that it never ran right after installing the electronic ignition - and sure enough I've been struggling to get this thing to run, so I decided to swap out back to points and condenser. So I buy a new one, going ahead and get a new coil, take the old stuff off, put the new stuff on (paying attention to the position of the rotor when I took it off) and go to start it - no spark at all now.

so I test the coil - it has voltage at both the spring and the clip. Also checked to make sure they weren't bent and *should* e getting a connection.

I checked the gap on the points and its .025

The only thing I haven't done is swap out the rotor from the old one. Is there anything obvious I'm not checking here?

I'm about to take this thing off for the 4th time this morning and its front mount
Someone said, the correct point gap for an 8N front distributor is 0.015". For a side distributor it is 0.025"

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
When I was a kid my best friends parents had one, I was so jealous of them because they were driving this thing all over the place. In the woods down the trails, even the 5 miles to my house. So as soon as I could afford one I bought one. Definitely a love hate relationship, it seems when I need it the most that's the time it doesn't want to start. I own two of them. One has the Sherman step up and step down transmission, combined with the even rarer Howard transmission that further slows it down or speeds it up. Currently both are parked because they stopped getting spark and I haven't taken the time to figure them out. I am almost tempted to get out of the 8n game all together seeing I bought a Massey Ferguson 60 horse with all the bells and whistles. Even though with the right person fixing it these tractors will run for another hundred years

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
15 minutes... Tops...
Time to get after it

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Suggestion. Go to Yesterday's Tractors web site, they have a active Ford 8N, 9N, 2N forum. Many threads on ignition issues.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,864 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,427
Posts18,528,446
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.