Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Are the dimensions of a blued GP100 thinner than the same model in stainless?

Someone told me that is because the blued gun is made of alloy steel, which is apparently stronger than stainless steel, thus allowing Ruger to make the blued gun thinner.

Is this correct?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I don't have a blued and stainless GP100 to compare dimensions, I feel it is pretty safe to say that the idea that one is slimmer than the other is absolutely nuts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bluestem

Someone told me that is because the blued gun is made of alloy steel, which is apparently stronger than stainless steel, thus allowing Ruger to make the blued gun thinner.

Is this correct?

Was said individual sitting behind a gun counter eating boiled peanuts with just a little bit of belly hanging out? Possibly shootin the breeze about the best handgun for black panther defense in souther Miss/La since he cut the tracks of said animal when he was deer huntin in the swamp?

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by hardway

Is this correct?

Was said individual sitting behind a gun counter eating boiled peanuts with just a little bit of belly hanging out? Possibly shootin the breeze about the best handgun for black panther defense in souther Miss/La since he cut the tracks of said animal when he was deer huntin in the swamp?

lol, nope.

Said individual is actually an intelligent guy. I associate with intelligent people.

He is certain that he has handled blued GP100s that are slightly slimmer than their stainless counterparts.

Maybe he is wrong. Maybe not.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Owned several or each and they’re dimensionally identical.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Is this correct?

lol, nope.

Said individual is actually an intelligent guy. I associate with intelligent people.

He is certain that he has handled blued GP100s that are slightly slimmer than their stainless counterparts.

Tell him to get back to you, AFTER he puts the dial calipers to his guns................................ I strongly suspect that he's dead-ass wrong...........

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
That concept would apply to riles also🤦‍♂️

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned both and I could tell no difference between the two except for finish. Same goes with blued and stainless Super Blackhawks.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/10/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Is this correct?

lol, nope.

He is wrong.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just looked this up to see if there was any reference to it on the web. There is no difference. He MAY be confused because apparently some grip makers distinguish bvetween a blued and SS model, but this appears to be because one grip is supplied with a blued screw, the other with a SS screw.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Is this correct?

That's just absolutely ridiculous. Do we have to explain why?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
According to Ruger’s site both the blued and stainless versions of a GP100 .357 with a 4.2” barrel weigh 40 oz.

Not sure why all the snarky replies.

Last edited by McInnis; 12/10/23.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I read post by Ed Harris ( Ruger engineer) on cast bullet assoc forum(?) that while the frame of the GP100 was manufactured using the investment cast ( lost wax?) practice, the cylinders of Ruger revolvers were made from a billet/bar of high-strength non-cast steel alloy. Maybe this was the basis of the comment of blued vs SS "variation".

have only owned ( and still have) a stainless 4" Ruger GP100. Can't comment on the blued vs SS dimension variation, but I CAN say my GP100 ( from the 1990's?) had "dimensional variation" of throat measurements. They ranged from 0.355" to 0.357"

Had them reamed out to 0.357" by "the cylindersmith" ( who frequented castboolits.com back then). 25 yard groups size improved from 5", to <1.5"., before and after throat reaming Wonder if the blued version had the same throat issue.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, akrange, 16 invisible), 1,641 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,939
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.